Wesnoth crashes whenever I try to play with a custom map (SOLVED)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Wesnoth crashes whenever I try to play with a custom map (SOLVED)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Anyone knows what might be causing this?
Attachments
wesnothcrash.jpg
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on August 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrubymar10
macOS Packager

Re: Wesnoth crashes whenever I try to play with a custom map

Post by hrubymar10 »

Can you be more specific in description how to reproduce this problem? I'll try reproduce it on macOS.

It also looks that it may be caused by corrupted mapfile. Can you post here .zip file of your custom maps?
PapaSmurfReloaded

hrubymar10 wrote: August 13th, 2018, 7:47 am Can you be more specific in description how to reproduce this problem? I'll try reproduce it on macOS.

It also looks that it may be caused by corrupted mapfile. Can you post here .zip file of your custom maps?
I use Bfw 1.14.4 for Windows.

The crash does not happen when I load a mapfile, it crashes when I select the option "Custom Maps" as shown in the screenshot.
And it happens every time.

The maps are fine, they can be opened and worked in the editor, they work in scenarios, etc.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

could be this one https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/3149, just becase they work fin in the editor doesnt mean they also work fine in the mp_create screen, for example it could happen that they use a terraintype that is only defined in #ifdef EDITOR
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
enclave

Post by enclave »

i just remembered that I also had crash like this, when there was problem with map... not necessarily with .map but it can be scenario.cfg too, I think my problem was with random generator scenario.. not sure, can't remember... try remove couple maps from add-ons and see if you still crash... when you remove specific map and crash stop then it's probably the faulty map was removed... so you can find it this way... Maybe need to open .map file with notepad and look if you have bad starting positions.. like instead of "12" there will be terrain "Player 12" which is too long... I'm really sorry that I can't remember what exactly my problem was when I had this crash... it might be .map or it might be .cfg I really don't remember.. try maps first.. if removing maps didnt help then try removing scenarios..
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Wesnoth crashes whenever I try to play with a custom map (SOLVED)

:lol: I am such an airhead.

The issue was that my Zombie Apocalypse map was in that folder, and it uses custom terrains.
However since I didn't have the add-on installed, it would cause the crash.