New: Ooze Mini-Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

osaridsaris

Re: New: Ooze Mini-Campaign

Post by osaridsaris »

I updated to the latest Ooze version and tried a campaign do-over .. I get

20140713 14:26:33 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Elvish_Dynasty/translations', skipping textdomain
20140713 14:26:33 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Era_of_Four_Moons/translations', skipping textdomain
20140713 14:26:33 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Trader/translations', skipping textdomain
20140713 14:26:41 error general: Unknown scenario: '1_Lab'

I'm guessing only the last one is relevant.. the others seem to be from other modules...
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

None of them really is, the last one is only a communicate that scenario is unknown because campaign failed to load. However there was a typo in Ooze Mini Campaign Forest Defender multiplayer scenario which prevented campaign from loading and now is fixed, so re-installing the campaign should solve the Unknown scenario: '1_Lab' problem.

Thank you for report.

Also note that there is very little difference for the players between this version and a previous one. Probably the biggest change is using game version of micro ais instead of custom ones since you pointed out that there are some glitches with it in Elvish Dynasty thread.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This campaign has faulty ifdef, making mp campaign play impossible for lack of unit type.
#ifdef CAMPAIGN_OOZE_MINI_CAMPAIGNThis line particularly.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Described above problem was investigated under following conditions:
Game version: 1.13 (Future development version)
Campaign version: 1.5.1
Multiplayer: lan
Test scope: two turns of first scenario were played
Test environment: Linux

Result: Failed to reproduce the issue. Campaign loads normally. Game starts with no problems allowing players to operate. No unknown unit type error was encountered although players and one ai side use custom units.
Examining the _main.cfg of the campaign and comparing it to mainline campaign of the same type (hybrid) doesn't indicate that there would be mistakes in mentioned code portion.
If issue persist and you want it to be fixed please provide more details.

Specify:
  • 1. Game version.
    2. Campaign version.
    3. Operating system (usually it doesn't matter).
    4. Most importantly, how to experience the problem. (What have you done before campaign stop working rendering game unplayable.)
Thank you for your interest.
Last edited by Wesbane on January 30th, 2015, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This is related to general mp campaign problems, that made it necessary to leave during advance from scenario 1 to 2; and rejoin was not possible as Giant Ooze unit was unknown. This might be related to cache as well, as this rejoin involves reloading that.

Replicated this with server2. http://puu.sh/d3Rgd/26284a528b.jpg

1.12.0; windows 7
version="1.5.1"

So steps to reproduce:

Code: Select all

Get to scenario 2(might not be needed but this was how I replicated it)
Leave with one player, refresh in main menu, try to rejoin(as observer)
Edit: About this being like core mp campaign, that has similar problem, though with unknown scenario not unit.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Campaign was tested for network game.
Test information:
Game version: 1.13 (Future development version)
Campaign version: 1.5.1
Multiplayer: lan.
Test scope: Three scenarios were played.
Test environment: Linux.

Result: Playing over network in this campaign is possible however not without various issues. Fortunately all of those problems can be worked around by starting the game from previous save if needed.
Confirmed issues in multiplayer:
  • 1. Reloading game causes all ai controlled side to have names switched to host player nick. (Solved in current version.)
    2. Reloading game transfers control of all ai sides to host player even if player is not allowed to control them in side definition. Host player has to initiate ai for each side manually with droid command.
    3. Names of ai leaders aren't translated for non host player.
    Spoiler:
    4. Translation do not work after advancing to next scenario. Players will see actual strings with their markers (female^string, male^string). Effect disappears after reload.
    Spoiler:
    5. At the beginning of third scenario if host player controls side 1 second player during his turn is able also to control side 1 during the same turn what causes OOS and breaks the game!
    6. In third scenario some dialogue messages are displayed also for other player although they shouldn't.
    7. At the beginning of a forth scenario messages that meant to be displayed for both players are displayed only for first player.
These most likely are game bugs so it can't be done much about them. If you experience any of listed bugs and you want them fixed it might be best to report them in topic titled 1.12 MP campaigns bugs thread.The current campaign version (1.5.2) fixed only minor problems like changing leader names to the host player. Additionally with some leftovers from previous wesnoth versions removed.
For now if you want to avoid majority of detected issues and play in multiplayer, play local game.
Multiplayer saves of network game that allow starting the game from second and third scenario are attached below for those interested in pursuing the matter.
Attachments
OC-N.zip
(113.62 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

Some minor bugs in version 1.5.2 on solo play:

Scenario 3_Pinewood
* No user_team_name for side 1, thus it defaults to 'oozes' which is untranslatable.
* What about the gold from the previous scenarios? The objectives and the endlevel report say I would keep it yet I started with only 30 gold. (I like gold...)
* The following Corinna line is never played: "Not another one!"
* The Training Hall mark is never removed it seems.
* Recruiting the slavers as bodyguards doesn't set the 'slaver_debate' variable to 4. Thus the moveto event can be repeated infinitely and either you lose 50 gold again or they tell you to get more money. (It could be fun for them to extort money, but the dialog doesn't fit.)

Scenario 4_Pinewood_Siege
* typo: Jedd: "I'll help help you"
* typo: Master Keiron: "Gazes calmly at the the wrecked fort"
* No user_team_name for side 1 at the start, thus it defaults to 'oozes' which is untranslatable.
* Choosing the evil path at the end doesn't kill the Shady Character (who also keeps _'Oozes' as user_team_name).
* The last breath events for Bryony and Kirielle both have the wrong speaker for the second messages.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Scenario 3 Pinewood
  • * No user_team_name for side 1, thus it defaults to 'oozes' which is untranslatable. (Fixed)
    * What about the gold from the previous scenarios? The objectives and the endlevel report say I would keep it yet I started with only 30 gold. (I like gold...) (Fixed)
    • Most probably this is an effect of no leader no side wesnoth 1.12 behavior. The bizarre thing about it is that although singleplayer handles scenario victory in the same fashion as multiplayer in singleplayer gold is not carried over. For this reason work around was applied to solve this.
    * The following Corinna line is never played: "Not another one!" (Fixed - both modes)
    * The Training Hall mark is never removed it seems. (Fixed)
    * Recruiting the slavers as bodyguards doesn't set the 'slaver_debate' variable to 4. Thus the moveto event can be repeated infinitely and either you lose 50 gold again or they tell you to get more money. (It could be fun for them to extort money, but the dialog doesn't fit.) (Fixed - both modes)
    • Meh typos are killers when it comes to coding. :lol: I have found one more spelling error but I won't reveal what it was since it had no effect on game.
Scenario 4 Pinewood Siege
  • * typo: Jedd: "I'll help help you" (Fixed - both modes)
    * typo: Master Keiron: "Gazes calmly at the the wrecked fort" (Fixed - both modes)
    * No user_team_name for side 1 at the start, thus it defaults to 'oozes' which is untranslatable. (Fixed)
    * Choosing the evil path at the end doesn't kill the Shady Character (who also keeps _'Oozes' as user_team_name). (Not a bug)
    • Code from 1.2.8 version indicates that this was made so by choice. Plus Shady never scorns any occasion to make profit. The only two alternations made since version 1.4.0 to this behavior are as follows:
      • - Oozes can't upgrade weapon as any other monsters.
        - After devouring townsfolk Shady business can be terminated at will, although the only hostile action on his part is zoc-ing.
      This won't be changed because author is no longer around.
      There was however one glitch with introduction which didn't have much sense if it happened after orcs where defeated so now when bothered under these circumstances he will say only one line about it because PCL won't investigate the matter.

So thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    * The last breath events for Bryony and Kirielle both have the wrong speaker for the second messages. (Fixed - both modes)
Thank you for detailed bug report!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The Ooze and Giant Ooze units both have an explicit ellipse="misc/ellipse-nozoc" line in their unit type definitions. This was only necessary for versions prior to Wesnoth 1.11.6, and with that and later versions specifying the no-ZoC ellipse like that will only cause problems — namely, missing ellipses.

Code: Select all

20150915 18:02:10 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-top.png'
20150915 18:02:10 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-bottom.png'
If not having an ellipse is intended, you should use ellipse=none instead (1.11.11 and later).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Since we probably going to include this campaign to UMC Pack Project that is going to be included to Android version of Wesnoth (alongsinde with Elvish Dinasty Rpg), and according to my own urge to the community to provide feedback to campaigns-winners I will try to do some work with feedback myself.

This campaign has great storyline, very original one, quite unpredictable. I love it. I really got fun when at the end that elvish hero said "we will solve this ooze issue together", I laughed at it. RPG style of this campaign at the third scenario was very intresting too. Moreover I surprised that it is a campaign of 2007. Kinda this destination of development have not gone far for all these years.

Now about the gameplay. I found the first scenario tactically even boring, absoultely nothing to think about and I see no possiblity to invent something intresting here for the player, all you need is to devour your enemies. Second scenario is a bit more challenging because you do not have much time and have to kill a regenerating Ancient Wose with much HP. Good that when attacking that Wose minor oozes can get 3 experience points per safe ranged attack and quickly advance to bigger ones. And the final scenario was typical defending scenario which was not of interest to me too. I even was not recruiting anything until the final battle with the arrived mage. However I had to reload several times because these tomato surprises with enemies appearing from everywhere sometimes can create very unconvinient situations.

About bugs. I have not found any except one. Sometimes after battles in the arena, when the battle is over, you still in the mode when you can move 5 turns and have to press 'end of turn'. So usual auto-increase of the number of turns in the RPG-mode was not working. But that was not critical and this bug somehow disappeared. Also I tried not all of branches, probably I have to replay the third scenario to see more fun.

In general - for sure this campaign worth being taken from the dust and presented to the wide audience, at least in Android version.

And I have a question, why in this campaign are used old sprites of elvish sorceress line? New ones are far better.
Attachments
OC-Pinewood_Siege_replay.gz
(44.82 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
OC-Pinewood_replay.gz
(37.37 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
OC-Heart_of_the_Forest_replay.gz
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
OC-Home_Sweet_Home_replay.gz
(33.82 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi, I have done minor update of japenese translation (description in _main.cfg etc.).
Could you add this to the addon?
ja.zip
japanese translation
(79.44 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
(EDIT) Thx!
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Are there any plans for porting the campaign to 1.16?

Last scenario:
If Master Ooze is the one to kill Blackfang, the xp for that kill is not awarded.

I would also recommend replacing the old Shaman unit of Master Ooze (and its advancements) with the normal Shaman. That would fix the inconsistence of the descriptions and sprties compared to the new versions.