Weird text fault (Mac Wesnoth 0.8.10)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Na'enthos

Weird text fault (Mac Wesnoth 0.8.10)

Post by Na'enthos »

Well, let me show you.

I'll also note that I didn't see this all the time and I am not sure when it appeared.. it occurred while playing 'An orcish incursion' as you may be able to see. Not sure whether that's important, though, as I haven't played any other campaign nor non-campaign games with the current version of Wesnoth.
Attachments
wrong text 1.jpg
wrong text 1.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
Last edited by Na'enthos on February 16th, 2005, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Second example:

Oh, and the normal text may be a bit misformed but that's because of the conversion from .pdf to .jpeg.
Attachments
wrong text 2.jpg
wrong text 2.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
silene

Post by silene »

Known bug (any platform, and since a real long time). In my opinion it is an SDL bug rather than a Wesnoth bug. But you can never be sure. So I would be glad if anybody could find a way to reproduce this bug at will.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

silene wrote:Known bug (any platform, and since a real long time). In my opinion it is an SDL bug rather than a Wesnoth bug. But you can never be sure. So I would be glad if anybody could find a way to reproduce this bug at will.
Never saw it before.. which seems odd, considering. :?
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Seen it on several occasions, particularly in the 'Son of the Black Eye(Part 1)', and 'The Rise of Wesnoth'.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Star Gazer wrote:Seen it on several occasions, particularly in the 'Son of the Black Eye(Part 1)', and 'The Rise of Wesnoth'.
Hmm... perhaps it is a unicode thing? IIRC, SoBE uses some accented names...
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Na'enthos wrote:
silene wrote:Known bug (any platform, and since a real long time). In my opinion it is an SDL bug rather than a Wesnoth bug. But you can never be sure. So I would be glad if anybody could find a way to reproduce this bug at will.
Never saw it before.. which seems odd, considering. :?
Same here. I've never seen it before 0.8.10, but now it appears all the time. What changed that makes it crop up more frequently?
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
dtw

Post by dtw »

same here - i never saw it until 8.10 - i can check when my last SDL update was too for you?
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

No, it definitely has been around awhile, certainly in SoBE, and it does relate to the accented names in some strange way.

Only more recently seen it in TRoW.
silene

Post by silene »

The first time I heard about it, it was in a screenshot done by isaac (a long time ago...). The garbled string was the "enemy sighted" text; and since isaac always plays in english, it is not a matter of accented letters.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Sorry, correction, I think it was a curious troll name with an apostrophe in it.
defsy

Post by defsy »

silene wrote:So I would be glad if anybody could find a way to reproduce this bug at will.
There you go :D

:arrow:https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func= ... m_id=12083

HTH
defsy

Post by Guest »

I just updated to 8.11 and have now started encountering this bug, having never seen it before. I leap-frogged over 8.10, so my update was from 8.9 to 8.11. I encountered it in HttT in Home of the North Elves and the Valley of Statues. This may be an old bug, but it seems that for me and many others it only started occuring after 8.9.