Temples of the nagas -version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Temples of the nagas -version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Post by nuorc »

Actually optional picking and dropping would be nice-to-haves. (sxc for example has nice inventory handling.)
I have a cunning plan.
Evropi

Re: Temples of the nagas - version 1.26

Post by Evropi »

Sorry for the week's delay! :oops:

Changes in version 1.26:
  • Fairly extensive code cleanup (though I have yet to remove tags to be obsoleted in 1.11). Should have slightly lower processing overhead now.
  • Human player sides are now 1, 2, 3 and 4,instead of 2, 3, 4 and 5. This will no longer put your OCD into overdrive. :lol2:
  • Removed side 6 (the hidden naga spy in the mountain) for performance reasons. The memory usage would nearly double per wave. It was a funny easter egg but with poor side effects. It's a partial solution to the problem.
  • No longer needing to move to start the game (as requested).
  • Corrected some strings (written text) so that quotation marks (") actually show up where they're meant to.
I believe this warranted the minor-minor version number. Next update will be 1.3 and it will include the ability to pick up and drop items, most likely, which will deserve a new minor-major version number as it will be an important gameplay change. This would normally be trivial to implement, but it's not so easy when you're working with a horribly monolithic codebase from the 1.2 days. Everything is contained in a single ~200 KiB cfg file. :roll:
nuorc wrote:Disclaimer: I added the beta of Dugi's defensive retaliation code to the map, so the replay will most likely show Oos errors.
I have mixed feelings about the defensive retaliation code. TOTN already includes the ability to not retaliate against anyone holding a berserker item. Additionally, I believe it complicates the game unnecessarily and leading to frustration by having the player choosing between having it or not. Therefore, it will most likely not be included though if you think otherwise please post here.
Last edited by Evropi on October 10th, 2012, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Temples of the nagas - version 1.26

Post by nuorc »

thx for the update! :D
Evropi wrote:I have mixed feelings about the defensive retaliation code. TOTN already includes the ability to not retaliate against anyone holding a berserker item. Additionally, I believe it complicates the game unnecessarily and leading to frustration by having the player choosing between having it or not. Therefore, it will most likely not be included though if you think otherwise please post here.
That's a nice ability in TOTN, I wasn't aware of it.

I don't think the defensive retaliation code (DeRC?) is directly connected to to this thread, but as you invited me to post here...
My feelings about DeRC are very clear: I like to have it and I don't expect anyone to include or use it if they don't want to.
It helps me with a confined but powerful source of frustration: the ai doing a stupid choice for me on defense (entailing the negative consequences).
As it is an option in the right click menu, I don't think it complicates things for players who don't want to care about it.

On a more general note: from the lack of explicit approval on one hand and the stated skepticism against DeRC on the other,
I understand that it is somewhat exotic that I want to chose my weapon when fighting... :hmm:
I have a cunning plan.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Err I didn't clearly state it--it's not an ability, it's the default. When a unit has a special item (it's just that most of them happen to be berserker items), the other unit doesn't retaliate. The same goes for any Boss units.

I'd like more people to weight in on this. I'll hopefully have the picking up and dropping of items sorted by the end of next week, but this is a deeper issue.
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
kBunz

Post by kBunz »

thank you so much for updating this scenario, it really is one of my favorites, i have a concern however which is that setting the AI as player 5 really make sthe scenario a LOT easier, it is just too simple to stack your stuff around the spawn points and ambush the enemy as soon as it gets out. Even more so after you pick up the 2nd miniboss zerk item and use it to 1shot many of the next wave bosses. You don't really need to plan your retreat in advance either.

maybe it would be better to have a "hardcore" version where AI is player 1 and a simpler verison where AI is player 5? sorry i never developed for wesnoth so i'm not sure if it would be a big hassle but i feel like the map lost much of it's challenge.
Evropi

Re: Temples of the nagas -version 1.26.1

Post by Evropi »

Version 1.26.1 -- a bugfix release!
  • I have reverted the sides back to the old after you and jb (in a PM) pointed out the problems of the switch. As for a second version, I don't think anyone would play it (more than one TOTN would be confusing) and besides, it's against the TOTN philosophy. While predictable, TOTN is not formulaic and can be beaten in a few different ways, though only if you're good enough to handle it! I realised that moving the AI to 5 made the scenario formulaic and boring. Hence, human players were reverted to 2/3/4/5.
  • I also corrected the issue of the animation for the wearer of the berserker amulet not showing. (this is why testing is important)
  • The ankh item shows up on the map again! (again, why testing is very important)
I can't promise that the ability to pick up and drop items will be out by the end of this week. I am also considering allowing a unit to only carry one item, though that is up for debate. Feel free to step into that debate.

I'm also looking into changing some terrains, as they really don't fit in. If you have any ideas, please post them here.
cengique

Re: Temples of the nagas -version 1.26.1

Post by cengique »

Hi Evropi,

TOTN is no longer in the 1.12 add-ons server and I would like to maintain it to get it back. Do you have the sources for version 1.26.1 somewhere? I have downloaded the version you uploaded to the 1.10 add-ons server, but it's missing the _server.pbl file. I guess I can create my own?
Evropi wrote:Version 1.26.1 -- a bugfix release!
in-game nicks: enzuppe, cenzuppe, zuppecen
Maintainer of Temples of the nagas addon for Wesnoth 1.12
cengique

Temples of the nagas is BACK in 1.12 addons - version 1.26.2

Post by cengique »

Hi everyone!

I just updated and published TOTN on the 1.12 add-ons server. I picked version 1.26.1 as was left by Evropi and modified to work in Wesnoth 1.12.6. Let me know if anyone is still playing this legendary add-on and have any problems. I didn't get to try it in Wesnoth 1.13 yet.

The code is here if anyone wants to contribute:
https://github.com/cengique/Temples_Of_The_Nagas
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

It's on 1.12? After all these years....Let my midterms end and I will try it out (again) with my university pals...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

This is pretty amazing. Ten years later, this is a testament to the power of the internet where things live forever.

cengique- can we expect any improvements from the previous release?
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I just updated and published TOTN on the 1.12 add-ons server.
Hey, I downloaded this and and really enjoyed it. Thank you for porting it!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
cengique

Post by cengique »

Thanks everyone for the support - glad to be of service. The reason I did was because we missed it with my friends and just wanted to be able to play it again. :)
jb wrote:This is pretty amazing. Ten years later, this is a testament to the power of the internet where things live forever.

Maybe? :) Are there any requests?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Please make variants for it that feature waves from popular MP eras. Like WoL, EoM, EoMa, and EoC...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

cengique wrote:Thanks everyone for the support - glad to be of service. The reason I did was because we missed it with my friends and just wanted to be able to play it again. :)
jb wrote:This is pretty amazing. Ten years later, this is a testament to the power of the internet where things live forever.

A few small changes could really help:

1- The dialogue could use some updating.
2- This might already be fixed by Evropi, but at the time this was created random traits would cause OOS. So all the enemy units were Strong Res. It would be nice if they had random traits.
3- There is no way to know what the super items do without actually equipping them?

I'm going to try and organize a game soon. We'll see if it still holds up.

Cheers!
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
cengique

Post by cengique »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Please make variants for it that feature waves from popular MP eras. Like WoL, EoM, EoMa, and EoC...
Lord-Knightmare: Sounds interesting, but I wouldn't even know from where to start for this. Can you give me some pointers? Alternatively, you can easily fork my Github repo and make the variant yourself:
https://github.com/cengique/Temples_Of_The_Nagas