Elves Banding for War 1.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SFault

Elves Banding for War 1.0

Post by SFault »

Edit (27.9.2015): ver. 1.0 out now. Several bugs fixed and major balancing is done.

Edit: ver. 0.7 out now. Updated to work on 1.12.2

Bunch of elven nobles go and seek help to defeat the main villain. Many new elven units!

This is my first campaign that I actually have managed to finish and pack together. It still needs some work, but my mind is already on new better campaigns. Any support is more than welcome. I would also like to get some feedback, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to fix the campaign.

Generally this should be rather easy campaign and I have played it through so many times in debugging sense that I don't have patience to try it seriously on the hardest level.

Hope you enjoy!
Last edited by SFault on September 27th, 2015, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Adamant14

Re: Elves Banding for War

Post by Adamant14 »

The campaign doesn't load because of a corrupt [unit] tag,
please check line 147 in the first scenario.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
SFault

Post by SFault »

Oh, sorry about that. A last minute change with lazy editing. Should be fixed now.

Thanks for the interest and feedback!
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

Just played "the great battle" scenairo in this campaign. The human reinforcements that appear around turn 5, the leader and the two elves with him come in south of the new casle, down by the orc leader,

stillcen

great maps by the way, and the new units are keen.
SFault

Post by SFault »

stillcen wrote:Just played "the great battle" scenairo in this campaign. The human reinforcements that appear around turn 5, the leader and the two elves with him come in south of the new casle, down by the orc leader,
Thanks for the comment. I think I've moved the castle away from the opponent, but forgot the units. I'll fix that soon.
stillcen wrote:great maps by the way, and the new units are keen.
Good that you liked those. All other comments are welcome also.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Playing on Normal to get a feel for the campaign.

Scenario 1
  • - What's the reasoning behind orcs and bandits working together? There's nothing provided, outside of the principle of "kill him"
    - The map looks really familiar, did you borrow it from somewhere else?
    - Very easy to beat, recruited two scouts to serve as expendable distractions, one for each side, and ran the leader right down the middle in 10 turns.
Scenario 2
  • - A bit more of explanation beyond *explains* would be nice in the dialogue, even if it's just a quick summation of the plan.
    - Ruadredar only has 6 HP, while the rest of the Elven Court has more normal HP based on their levels
    - I liked the map, familiar or not, having to push through an enemy force in each direction for the signpost... though player can ignore blue in the beginning, still have to plan for him in later turns.
Scenario 3a
  • - Another map that looks oddly familiar...
    - Runal says "I think it's going to be so easy. Look! Orcs." It's missing a not in there.
    - No recall list from the previous battle, so not sure if those veterans were intended to stay at the court or come along
    - Fun battle, the push against the wave and then constant units streaming down keeps combat moving along
Scenario 3b
  • - One Drake starts way out in the ocean
    - Terribly unbalanced.
    • By turn 4 the Drakes had killed all of the leaders except blue and purple. I killed blue eventually in a handful of turns with their help, and then spent most of the game walking across the huge map to get to purple.... just for the drakes to kill him as I was 2 turns away. The whole game took 12 turns.
    - "That's should bring peace to the island." -> "That should bring peace to the island."

I stopped leading into Scenario 4, but once I get one or two more in tonight, I'll provide a bit more feedback.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SFault

Post by SFault »

Many thanks for the feedback. Cannot wait to receive more.

About maps: They are all original. If they resemble some more famous maps, that's totally unintentional.

About dialogue: I'm not personally into long lines of text. I rather see the story getting revealed bit by bit as the campaign progresses. Still, it's good to know if the story doesn't make sense for outsider. I'm bit blind to my own text. And gotta fix the typos...

Scenario1: it's supposed to be quite easy so that the player can get into the mood.

Scenario2: I've messed up with the unit WML. Apparently I've put the movement amount also on the HP. (I have given huge movement score to the units for debug reasons).

Scenario3a: Yeah, it is supposed that there are no veterans. But you get veterans from this scenario to the next one. (It was pretty dumb idea to have this kind of leader swapping campaign to be my first campaign)

Scenario3b: I've noticed too that the drakes can butcher the opponent leaders pretty easily. I'll reduce the amount of drakes in the beginning. Also, one of the biggest problems with the whole campaign is to have way too big maps.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
EZE

Post by EZE »

Wesnoth: 1.10.3
Campaign Version: 0.6
Difficulty: Hard

General Thoughts
- There was no music, is a download needed?
- I wish the world map shown before each mission had the swords on it so I know where the fight is.
- Maravar had Steadfast trait, but no Resistances for it to boost.
+ I liked the big maps.
+ All of the unique hero units were a lot of fun. The mage girl Tyonna was amazing. I like how they leveled so quick after level 3 and the next level got further away each time.
* Anything underlined in the below is suggested dialogue changes.

Mission 1
+ I enjoyed the wide open map. Fighting in the open was dangerous with first level guys.

Mission 2
- I don't understand what the "protect the Elven council" objective means. Is it the 4 loyal civilians, or the castle, or something else?
- I was surprised when the first bodyguard disappeared When I reached the signpost. It would be good to have that explained.
+ I liked the fortification spots in the forest around the main base.
+ This would make a fun co-op vs PC map.

Mission 3
+ I like how the terrain around Brown forced a choice to go north or south to get to him.
* The duke jumping from 6 to 60 HP was a huge surprise. I thought I would have to keep him in the back row forever.
* The AI on pink is interesting. He actually retreated to regroup a couple times.

Mission 4
+ This map is huge. I barely finished in time.
+ Minimum starting gold and fort size were both good.

Mission 5
+ The terrain was difficult for Elves.

Mission 6
+ Good terrain for the Dwarf fortress.
This has great dialog, but there are some English grammer issues
- "Also we should save our strength for the great battle."
- "Such a weakling."
- "Up Axes lads" (no to)
- "*pfft* If you really want to..."
- "We have wasted much valuable time." (no of, or use of OUR)

Mission 7
* I was surprised how soon it was over. A very fast level.
- "We have come far without ..."
- "... militia could use some assistance ..."
- "Our eager troops will need some valuable experience ..."

Mission 8
+ I like the units White had access to.
- Error message when starting: <Invalid WML found> [terrain_graphics] not supported
- "... I'm here on an errand for ..."
- "... now we could use some Elven warriors ..."
- "I'm a bit worried..."

Mission 9
- My Arohon was level 2 during Mission 2, but now he is back to level 1.

Mission 10
+ I like how allies arrived along the way.
- I think the Human king Gliddyn was supposed to enter at 67,31. He came in at 67,51 and got killed.
- Should the mission have failed when he died?
- Almost all of the enemies were dead by turn 22, so I spent the end of the mission just walking down to finish the Duke off. Maybe increase his base income so it is more difficult.
* I remembered the Humans being white in mission 8, and looking back at mission 4 the Dragons were white too.
* Maybe change Mission 8 from White to Teal so this scenario has consistent colors for the sides.

Mission 11
- It seems like this is an unlimited turns map, but it says I lose if time runs out.
- There are 2 of Mal-Kolak, side 6 and side 7.
- Arohon was in my recall list, but I think the empty spot at 40,7 was for him.
- When I recalled Arohon, he was still in the recall list. It let me recall him twice instead of once.
+ I didn't like the map at first, but having to fight through cave after cave full of baddies was pretty epic. It took me over 100 turns.
+ With so many heroes I really didn't need to recall many people, which is fine. I had lots of bonus money from the Great Battle and ended with even more.
+ The difficulty was good for crossing the last bridge to fight the Duke.
* After I got to Brown's keep and killed him there was only a trickle of guys to fight. I think the 2nd to last room (with the lava) should have been harder. Maybe give Red and Blue a gold boost when the player gets close?
* I would remove the ghost from Red's recruit list so there are more Bone Archers to fight.
* Maybe add an all-ghost side with a keep in one of the bottomless pit areas off to the side. The Player could choose to ignore or assult with sky drakes.

Epilogue
+ I liked the closing dialogue.

2/27 Edit: added more feedback for the last 2 scenarios.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thank you very much for the feedback. I've actually played the campaign through and fixed many problems. Then I've played the campaign again to test them. I am in the final scenario now and hopefully soon I'm done with that. There will be several fixes (including stuff you suggest) and then the campaign will really be playable.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

3rd scenario doesnt load

Error
The game map could not be loaded: illegal tile in map: (Ggf) 'Ggf'
The map cannot be loaded.

Other thinks you could do:
Add to the scenario objectives if there is a early finish bonus or not
Make the bodyguards weaker (Guard(81 hp) and Deputy(69 hp)) because their hitpoints are just overkill for a lvl 1 unit

specify scenario objectives (e.g. scenario 2)
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks for the comments. I have made major adjustments to the campaign and tested it, and made another round of adjustments and now I am in the final scenario in test phase. I still need to do few adjustments and then the campaign will be finally done (enough). I cannot promise when I'll upload the 1.0 version but I try to hurry with it.

One problem with the carry-on-gold is that the leader changes six times during the campaign (which wasn't a good idea for my first real campaign) and the different leaders carry their gold in bit special way. But I try to put good info about it.

btw. What is the version you tried?
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
SFault

Post by SFault »

Hark!

The version 1.0 is out now!!!

This should be playable without any major bugs. I do know that few bugs still exist but they shouldn't disturb the gameplay. Feel free to comment, although I think I will only fix the bigger problems and then move on to next campaign. I played the campaign through twice for balancing and after the final adjustments I just checked that the campaign starts without errors. Hopefully all the scenarios work also. Feel free to PM me if you wish to be a co-maintainer.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Elves Banding for War 1.0

Post by Konrad2 »

I played the campaign on 1.12.4 as the 0.7 version
Ill play it again now and report all bugs I find on very hard

EDIT: corrected "hard" to "very hard"
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks.

And I just remembered that I forgot to add the carry-on info, music and some other things. :augh:
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi.
Four levels this everning, enough for today )
Here are replays.
I played on hardest difficulty, almost no reloads. Was easy but funny. So much different types of elves! Elves-poisoners, elves pikemans and so on. And poor elvish childs! I sacrificed them all! They good for defence in forest, almost no other use.
Concerning tactics, I like second scenario mostly, the mission objective is really original. But first scenario is too easy. Eastern bandits could not stop hero at all, need just to stop wolfes by elvish scouts.

Also I got some bug message at start but seems it was not critical.
Attachments
bug1.png
EBfW-Island_of_Flame_повтор.gz
(92.95 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
EBfW-Port_of_privateers_повтор.gz
(69.96 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
EBfW-The_Goodbyes_повтор.gz
(58.21 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
EBfW-Way_of_Fear_повтор.gz
(15.07 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction