Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Robby

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by Robby »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

Easy, and version 1.90.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

7 (but it is on easy) i am just using my strong units to assasinate the king sometimes. but some scenarios are kind of hard (not too hard , playing on easy)

3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
very clear

4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
That is what i like the most of this campaign, i love the story ;) it should really become mainline!!

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

stupid moves, and the ai on maps like the last one of chapter 1.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
10 definitely, not as hard as bad moon rising, that makes the story easier to follow, so i like it alot

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
not really. only better ally ai

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
i did not see them.

btw great campaign!! i am still in chapter 2 and looking forward to after the storm!!
scwizard

Post by scwizard »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.
Scenario #1 on normal and scenario #2 on normal. 1.10.7.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)
First was 7, second was 8.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
8 out of 10.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
For the first scenario, the biggest challenge was balancing attack with defense. For the second knowing where to be on the map to best protect objectives was the biggest challenge, especially when the blue dude would run forward and die.
(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
10 out of 10. So far the most balanced campaign I've played. I finished the first scenario with 1 turn left, and for the second scenario I was SO CLOSE to being able to kill their leaders when I ran out of time. In Wesnoth it's so hard to find the balance between the player getting run over, and the player running over the AI and this is the first campaign I've played that achieves that balance without anything seeming unfair or unnecessarily chancy. Both scenarios so far have perfectly given the feeling of "somehow we won, but next time we might not be so lucky..."
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Make it a mainline campaign. I think the more people play this campaign the most people will become Wesnoth fans.
(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
None that I could find.
scwizard

Post by scwizard »

I'm up to scenario 10 now "The Source Of Light."

A few things happened that separated the experience a lot from the first few episodes:
* The difficulty dropped like a rock, that lich is OP man.
* Dungeon crawls everywhere, boring.
* Things got way less fun as a result.

I want more battles like the first two scenarios where you're barely surviving against a strange and powerful foe. I want to have a reason to recruit units. If you have a squad of level 3s who are never challenged by enemy level 3s or at any risk of dying things aren't fun at all.
Sir_Bumpy

Post by Sir_Bumpy »

Love this campaign! I am going to provide general feedback on a few campaign issues and will be adding them as I continue through the campaign. First, the advanced crossbowman's description in the first scenario is "FIXME". Second, throughout the campaign, debug script has been appearing in the top left corner of the screen. No idea what it means as I am not a programmer.

On the forest spirit unit, one of the abilities is listed as "spirit sylvan spark." I assume that two abilities are meant, as only "sylvan spark" is listed as a searchable ability. Also, that the unit appears to disappear and units ignore it leads me to believe "spirit" does something, but I can't see it in descriptions.

The grunt unit cannot be searched for description or statistics. I have no idea strengths, weaknesses or its description.

The dwarf thunderwheel unit has a grammatical error in the description. It say something to the effect of "the addition of one more thunder genies." Genies should be singular and made genie.
Last edited by Sir_Bumpy on December 31st, 2014, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sire

Post by Sire »

Well, I finished Episode One of Part One last night, so here is my feedback on the campaign so far. I am aware there is currently a massive revision planned called the "Reconstruction", but here is what I got down for the present version.

BoW Version: 1.12.4
Campaign Version: 1.90.8
Difficulty: Normal

* * * * * General Feedback * * * * *

Overall, it was fun! I enjoyed the references to other characters and events as I have played UtBS and DiD, and the usage of different units also made for an unique experience. The difficulty level did seem a little easy for me on Normal, save for during the "Strike On New Knalga", which is a little more difficult (I also will have to replay that scenario properly, read specific feedback for details). Perhaps I should try out Hard Difficulty...

The storyline so far was very enjoyable and I loved Keshar as a character (and as a unit too!). Essentially, I have nothing but positive experiences thus far, besides a few specific comments here and there. Otherwise, I look forward to continue my adventures in the current version as well as the eventual "Reconstruction" version, whenever that may be.

* * * * * Specific Feedback * * * * *

I enjoyed "A Real Confrontation", having to protect the villages was a fun idea against the chaotic hordes. However, I did manage to rout the enemy, so when a later scenario arrives, I try the same tactic...
As for how I managed this on Normal, I held back and sent in civilians as cannon fodder until dawn hit. When there is daylight, go crazy on the offensive before it becomes nighttime again. It did help that I had several units promoted or near promotion from the first chapter, and I highly recommend getting a proper healer as soon as possible.

The "Over the Sands" dehydration mechanic was an interesting throwback to UtBS. I manged through without much difficulty, and in this chapter I learned how amazing the Warrior Spirit line is (and how the Outlaw Mini Oasis is a trap. My second scouting squad practically just sat there for the rest of the scenario). However, I wonder about the inclusion of the alternative pathway that happens at the very end of this scenario. For the sake of curiosity, I brought out the ye old debug machine and gave myself gold to see what it was all about, but looking at my experience and the code for the "regular path", I really don't know what is the main difference besides just being an alternative scenario (or making the bandits angry).
Speaking of the valley bandits, originally I did not have enough gold to pay, so I chose that option. However, I before I had the chance to leave the valley, the dialogue option showed up again, I chose that I still was too poor, and they attacked me. Is this intentional?

In "The Source of Light", while I do enjoy the concept of nabbing all the runes and the fact it is a dungeon crawler mission, it did drag on too much for my liking. While all the lower level mobs can be used to level up new recruits, I mostly sent my Forefathers (say 4 or so) and my Spectre running around to complete the dungeon for me. My main army practically sat back and enjoyed themselves while the undead did the heavy lifting.
Considering that this scenario happens before the "episode one finale", I can see why there is an abundance of lower level mobs to level up the player's forces (Eyestalks are also great for powerleveling). However, if the player does not take advantage of this or already has a solid recall list, this scenario can become somewhat boring.
In addition, I wonder if the "Drain" potion is working as intended. Looking at the results and the code, I think my unit (Marshal Galas), was supposed to suffer from -10 Arcane Resistance in addition to the -5% HP loss, but he gained 10% arcane resistance and went to baseline instead.

In "Strike On New Knalga", I attempted a counteroffensive and was "fairly" successful, managing to kill two leaders (west and southwest), had the northern leader facing my Dwarvish Arcanister, and practically had Keshar positioned to take out the eastern one. However, the fronts I neglected (east and southeast), did fall and surrounded the Dwarvish Lord. So, in the interest of time... I cheated.
If I had the knowledge that enemy reinforcements would arrive every so often (I believe every 6 turns or so in the code), perhaps I would not have been so hasty in going on the offensive. It seems the intention is to slowly bleed units to protect the leader, especially considering this can be considered the real "finale" for episode one. If I may suggest a line of dialogue to warn the player when there are new waves (perhaps some boast that Knalga will fall, something about sacrifices, etc.), this may help players reconsider their tactics.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]