Campaign: Wesvoid

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Invisible Philosopher

Campaign: Wesvoid

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

On the campaign server. It keeps saying "Error - Connection timed out", so I don't know whether it's successfully uploaded - the campaign server says it's there.... I don't have more time to try now.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4098&start=0.
As far as I can tell, when it says "connection timed out" after a really long time, it has still uploaded correctly. I really wish someone would figure out what was going on, though.

Anyway, i'll take a look at the new Wesvoid later... but soon. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

I like it. The Spider episode seems to crash the Wesnoth engine, though. You see the spider go into the cave, and then you see a vampire bat through the cave walls (!), and then for over an hour nothing happens and the game is unresponsive -- just left it during lunch to see what would happen....
scott

Post by scott »

What if you play it on accelerated mode? The infinite time might be related to the fact that units slow down according to their movement on terrain, so for a unit to pass through a wall it takes like 100 movement.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

How do you win The Cockatrice Eye? Even on easy, it's three orc leaders who gang up on you, each with a potential to recruit 15-20 troops. Whereas I had a few holdover troops from a previous scenario (none levelled up) and over 300 gold. I thought the orcs would fight each other, but they ran straight at me. I tried to build a bulwark around the bridge, yet they would always overwhelm me.

silvermane
Invisible Philosopher

My theory on the "Connection timed out" message is that it's just incorrect and it continues uploading even after it displays that.
mpolo wrote:The Spider episode seems to crash the Wesnoth engine, though. You see the spider go into the cave, and then you see a vampire bat through the cave walls (!), and then for over an hour nothing happens and the game is unresponsive -- just left it during lunch to see what would happen....
Oh, I made the "impassible cave" terrain an alias of canyon, but flying units can only go over it in CVS. Until 0.8.9 is common, I'll switch that back to be an alias of deep water. Since it's such a minor change, the version number is only being incremented by 0.0.0.1.
scott wrote:What if you play it on accelerated mode? The infinite time might be related to the fact that units slow down according to their movement on terrain, so for a unit to pass through a wall it takes like 100 movement.
That's the usual cause. If you think it's happening to you, hold the Shift key, which will temporarily turn on Accelerated Speed. That way you can escape from a freeze like that if it happens.
silvermane wrote:How do you win The Cockatrice Eye? Even on easy, it's three orc leaders who gang up on you, each with a potential to recruit 15-20 troops. Whereas I had a few holdover troops from a previous scenario (none levelled up) and over 300 gold. I thought the orcs would fight each other, but they ran straight at me. I tried to build a bulwark around the bridge, yet they would always overwhelm me.

silvermane
Rush for the goal with a large army (from your 300 gold). If you kill the Warlord, the remaining enemies fight each other, but you're in the middle. Going west and then north through Dar'kal may be easier. But don't try to fight all of them at once. If you want to defeat them all, you'll need to grab all the villages in the south quick so you have enough money to do it - and even then, don't waste your time going after Bitu-Agara.

The campaign is currently only really balanced for the level entitled "Challenge/normal" - it's the level I normally play on. I intend to add more stuff to make the easier difficulty levels easier, including hints about what strategies are good. Right now they are mostly distinguished by enemy attack_depth (not that effective by itself), but I am also going to change the terrain and other things.
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

My winning strategy on "Cockatrice Eye" easy was the following:

Recall three of castles full of mages, spearmen, bowmen and cavalry. Leave a few there to hold the bridge, meanwhile going west with the bulk of the army and the leader. I managed to level a mage, have a couple very close to levelling, and my bridge-holding team all survived, including two longbowmen who levelled there. (My troop there was about 7-8 units.)
Invisible Philosopher

I'd like some advice about what to call my four difficulty levels.

The easiest is supposed to correspond to other campaigns' easiest level, and the hardest to the hardest. The second-hardest, which I currently label "challenge/normal", is supposed to be similar to what many "normal" difficulty levels are like in other campaigns currently. It is the level I, as a skilled player, prefer to play on. The second-easiest level is supposed to be between its neighbors, for people with small to moderate skill, who don't want it to be too easy but who find the next hardest difficulty level too hard.
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

The Scenario at sea (Sea Battle) crashes Wesnoth 0.8.8 completely. I'm not sure what it does to cause that, as it happened at different moments the three times I tried the scenario... (which looks all but impossible on Easy, by the way)
Invisible Philosopher

mpolo wrote:The Scenario at sea (Sea Battle) crashes Wesnoth 0.8.8 completely. I'm not sure what it does to cause that, as it happened at different moments the three times I tried the scenario...
Hmm. I've uploaded a new version to the campaign server that fixes the number of turns
mpolo wrote:(which looks all but impossible on Easy, by the way)
and that tries to make it a bit easier on easier difficulty levels.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Very impressive. The levels are fun (I have only played up to Cockatrice's Eye), and the WML is lightyears ahead of anything I could come up with. But, you can learn a few things in Sea Battle from Saving Elensefar (ie. the barrel villages, ship design), and vice versa. Also, the wooden walls would be useful in Captured, because it would then look more like a dungeon.

Also, mind if I borrow some of the spear code (Sea Battle, with the drakes)?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

I tried to download version 0.6.1 from the server and BfW refused to install the campaign with a message "Unable to create files required" or something like that.

Also, please consider removing the .ogg file from the download until the campaign is more complete. It would make the file over 400 kB smaller. I think you'd appreciate that if you had a 33 kbps connection.

silvermane
Invisible Philosopher

MadMax wrote:you can learn a few things in Sea Battle from Saving Elensefar (ie. the barrel villages, ship design), and vice versa.
I'll try that sometime - from what I've heard of it, Saving Elensefar sounds fun (although buggy).
MadMax wrote:Also, the wooden walls would be useful in Captured, because it would then look more like a dungeon.
It's fine if anyone uses them, but I can't guarantee how well it would work - my images and WML are just designed to work for my purposes.
MadMax wrote:Also, mind if I borrow some of the spear code (Sea Battle, with the drakes)?
No, it's fine with me. Make sure to put appropriate [variation]s in your unit types. (Beware, I use... er... specialized stats in my Drake_Worker.cfg file.)
silvermane wrote:I tried to download version 0.6.1 from the server and BfW refused to install the campaign with a message "Unable to create files required" or something like that.
No idea why that would happen, unless you are out of disk space.
silvermane wrote:Also, please consider removing the .ogg file from the download until the campaign is more complete. It would make the file over 400 kB smaller. I think you'd appreciate that if you had a 33 kbps connection.
I'll do that. It's annoying though when there is a compromise between people with fast and slow downloading. I'd like to give the player the option to download the large stuff (sort of like wesnoth-lite). Actually I could do that currently, by putting another thing on the campaign server which includes them, and referencing it in Wesvoid, using something else if it's not there. But I'm not sure if I should do that...
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

silvermane wrote:
I tried to download version 0.6.1 from the server and BfW refused to install the campaign with a message "Unable to create files required" or something like that.
No idea why that would happen, unless you are out of disk space.
I got that too and I have plenty of disk space
[/quote]
Honor guides my blade
scott

Post by scott »

There is a turn problem in the Spider's Fang. On turn 2 the rubble kills the spider.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.