Newbie level question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SmellySock

Newbie level question

Post by SmellySock »

Hi
Just a couple of newbie question:
* when I level up my units I sometimes get to choose different paths (elf ranger/elf marksman), but after level 3 whats to bonus of leveling besides more hitpoints?
* whats the maximum level
* is there some documentation on level bonuses for each character/class (i.e. elf archer / elf swordsman etc.)

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers
B
Dixie

Re: Newbie level question

Post by Dixie »

1) After a certain level, the only advantage is indeed a few more hit points. That and healing. It's not much to go on, and that's why it is preferable to feed kill to lower-leveled units. After all, Wesnoth is a strategy game, not an RPG, and it is bad strategy to focus on an elite unit squad.
2) Depends on the unit. The average is 3, but there are a handful of level 2, a rare few level 1s and some rare level 4s.
3) You can likely find the unit trees in the in-game help, or here.

Enjoy your game!
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
firefox

Post by firefox »

edit: seems i took too long writing this. now my post is in second place ... :oops:
when I level up my units I sometimes get to choose different paths (elf ranger/elf marksman), but after level 3 whats to bonus of leveling besides more hitpoints?
when a unit reaches maximum level, it's xp bar turns purple and it will recieve an AMLA (After Maximum Level Advancement) when it levels up.
the standard AMLA is "+3 hitpoints", nothing else.
of course the unit is also fully healed when the xp bar is full, but this is not part of the AMLA.

in certain campaigns special AMLAs are used wich allow you to choose how the unit should improve.
Kaleh ,the main character from "Under the burning Suns", has only AMLA instead of actual levels.
"Legend of the Invincibles" uses a complex AMLA system for every unit type in addition to the normal level-ups.
whats the maximum level
depends on the unit, usually 3 but also 4 or 2 in certain cases.
is there some documentation on level bonuses for each character/class (i.e. elf archer / elf swordsman etc.)
the "unit description" available via right-click menue gives detailed information about all units.
in the beginning it is empty, but fills up when you encounter new units in-game.
you can also get this information from the unit tree: http://units.wesnoth.org/
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
SmellySock

Post by SmellySock »

Hi guys
Thanks for the quick answers :) I'll look ingame for the tree :)

Cheers
B
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

firefox wrote:of course the unit is also fully healed when the xp bar is full, but this is not part of the AMLA.

Code: Select all

#define AMLA_DEFAULT
    # Canned definition of the default AMLA.
    [advancement]
        strict_amla=yes
        max_times=100
        id=amla_default
        description= _ "Max HP bonus +3, Max XP +20%"
        image="misc/icon-amla-tough.png"
        [effect]
            apply_to=hitpoints
            increase_total=3
            heal_full=yes
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=max_experience
            increase=20%
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=status
            remove=poisoned
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=status
            remove=slowed
        [/effect]
    [/advancement]
#enddef
Inside this up you can find line with this:

Code: Select all

heal_full=yes
Thx this unit is fully healed after amla advance, so its part of amla code so we can say that fully healing is also part of amla as +3 increasing unit hp. Amla advance also increase unit max xp required to next one such a advance also remove slow and poison.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.