Great Library of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Great Library of Wesnoth

Post by turin »

I am officially insane. :)

Basically, i'm going to copy the content of the wiki into a scenario-accessibly format... well, the content of WesnothPoetry, WesnothHistory and WesnothGeography, anyway. There is no gameplay involved, since its not really a scenario. Version on campaign server soon, here is attached copy until then.

I know benji didn't write WesnothGeography, but he DID make the map.

Suggestions?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

This is a great idea. It would be great if it coulld be included in the Wesnothpedia, especially with all cross referenced and such. I'd be willing contribute to this miniproject.

Another idea would be an interacrive map that you could zoom into etc. with lots of links to sceneario info on lovations and etc.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Wow. Nice. I see I have to write more stuff in there.
Shade

Turin

Post by Shade »

Turin- I haven't forgotten about my scenario walkthroughs or the non-event driven history of Wesnoth I was working on... I'm just being a little slow... (Actually, I'm knee deep in WML) This will be a nice kick in the pants for me :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Turin

Post by turin »

Shade wrote:Turin- I haven't forgotten about my scenario walkthroughs or the non-event driven history of Wesnoth I was working on... I'm just being a little slow... (Actually, I'm knee deep in WML) This will be a nice kick in the pants for me :)
I never knew about that project... you must have announced it when i was on vacation... :)

IAC, those scenarios could be linked to by the Library, when you choose history.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

"Bards, it is your job to learn me in the lore of Wesnoth. I have been told it has an epic history, so let us hear it!"

- learn
+ [teach | instruct | enlighten]
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:"Bards, it is your job to learn me in the lore of Wesnoth. I have been told it has an epic history, so let us hear it!"

- learn
Actually, that was intentional. It can be used in that sense, although the usage is archaic.
Webster's Dictionary 1913 ed wrote: 2. To communicate knowledge to; to teach. [Obs.]
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

They'd save Elensefar.
should be
That they would save Elensefar.

Also, I would have it where you are an apprentice studying to become a mage. This also allows a story to possibly be added, revolving around Gwiti's poem.

But, good work anyway!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:They'd save Elensefar.
should be
That they would save Elensefar.
I see only one occasion of this (in verse 4), and your change would make the verse 8-6-8-8, not 8-6-8-6 like all the others are.
MadMax wrote:Also, I would have it where you are an apprentice studying to become a mage. This also allows a story to possibly be added, revolving around Gwiti's poem.
Agreed. Him being a king makes really no sense... :)

[edit]
and that change, at least, is made...
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

turin wrote:
scott wrote:"Bards, it is your job to learn me in the lore of Wesnoth. I have been told it has an epic history, so let us hear it!"

- learn
Actually, that was intentional. It can be used in that sense, although the usage is archaic.
Webster's Dictionary 1913 ed wrote: 2. To communicate knowledge to; to teach. [Obs.]
Alright, I suppose. Using learn as a transitive verb nowadays sounds a little redneck. But that's just me.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:
turin wrote: Actually, that was intentional. It can be used in that sense, although the usage is archaic.
Alright, I suppose. Using learn as a transitive verb nowadays sounds a little redneck. But that's just me.
I'll probably change it, in any case... i don't like the rest of that line.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

With the changed version, how come turin referes to Aldaric as 'my lord'? Isn't turin supposed to be a teacher?

I would also have it set up differently. You are studying in the Great Library, which is actually a full-size map. You roam around reading books, and talking to your teachers. This can even be turned into a campaign or a tutorial (Aldaric practicing with magic and nonmagic weapons).

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Also, it doesn't work.

In

Code: Select all

[message]
		description=Kamahawk
		message= _ "That is correct. Each of us will teach you a different subject."
, you forgot the closing [/message] tag.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:With the changed version, how come turin referes to Aldaric as 'my lord'? Isn't turin supposed to be a teacher?

I would also have it set up differently. You are studying in the Great Library, which is actually a full-size map. You roam around reading books, and talking to your teachers. This can even be turned into a campaign or a tutorial (Aldaric practicing with magic and nonmagic weapons).
OK... will work on it later... don't have a lot of time right now. :)
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think this is a great idea....

Since we haven't had many contributors to the help system, I think it'd make it far more accessible for people to contribute if we allowed people to make their contributions by editing the Wiki, and then have some kind of preferably automated system for converting it to .cfg files.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming