Blood Bat -> Demon Bat

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Invisible Philosopher

Blood Bat -> Demon Bat

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

A possible upgrade I thought of. "Demon Bat" breathes fire (a different name would be fine if someone could think of it).

Level: 2
Moves: 9
HP: 34
Fangs (Blade)
8-3 drain -- melee
Fire breath (fire)
5-3 -- ranged

XP needed to get it: 38

I would have uploaded my image attempts, but they didn't come out very well.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
scott

Post by scott »

I know there is art that exists for a blood bat upgrade. Personally I dislike fighting them so much I fear anything nastier out of that line.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Wouldn't a better upgrade be a vampire? Like Dracula... :D

The bats currently only get to level 1? That's quite a short upgrade path..

Seriously, it sounds fine, except isn't the movement a bit too big? Or maybe it isn't... Elvish scouts are as fast IIRC.

The only thing I would do is to change the melee attack from 8-3 to perhaps 3-8. That would show how fast the bat is, and would offer a little difference to the usual 2 to 4 attacks with just increasing power when a unit gets leveled...
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Ankka wrote:except isn't the movement a bit too big?
It is the same as the Blood Bat.
Ankka wrote:The only thing I would do is to change the melee attack from 8-3 to perhaps 3-8. That would show how fast the bat is, and would offer a little difference to the usual 2 to 4 attacks with just increasing power when a unit gets leveled...
Huge numbers of attacks are probably not good, especially with drain where there would be more rounding error. Besides, 3-8 can be worse than the Blood Bat's 6-3 if you need to deal damage fast.

Care must be taken that the second-level bat is not too similar to the Wraith or the Sky Drake.

P.S. There have been other ideas for another bat (in other threads). Multiple upgrades are fine.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:Huge numbers of attacks are probably not good, especially with drain where there would be more rounding error. Besides, 3-8 can be worse than the Blood Bat's 6-3 if you need to deal damage fast.
That does sound a bit weird, now that I'm thinking of it.

IMHO bats are a bit overpowered, though, as if you recruit several basic vampire bats you can easily kill a mage, for instance, in one turn. Or some other weaker unit. This makes the bats way overpowered as scouts.

But that went a little offtopic... I have a bad imagination on what kind of attacks or abilities units should have.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Ankka wrote:
Invisible Philosopher wrote:Huge numbers of attacks are probably not good, especially with drain where there would be more rounding error. Besides, 3-8 can be worse than the Blood Bat's 6-3 if you need to deal damage fast.
That does sound a bit weird, now that I'm thinking of it.

IMHO bats are a bit overpowered, though, as if you recruit several basic vampire bats you can easily kill a mage, for instance, in one turn. Or some other weaker unit. This makes the bats way overpowered as scouts.

But that went a little offtopic... I have a bad imagination on what kind of attacks or abilities units should have.
Mage can be really easy kill by any several scouts units. I agree that bat need next level. Invisible Philosopher - IMHO your stats and idea is good
lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

i think that maybe downgrade the bloodbat slightly before they get a 2nd level, and then maybe have it so you can choose between this demon bat and a vampire type person.
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

i agree with lil..

we should make a tree at lvl 2
one for the demon bat
one for the vampire, which should be some sort of humaniod type creature without flying
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I agree that too. It would be nice to see Vampire in game - we have Yeti and other strange creatures, so why not a vampire?
Disto

Post by Disto »

Hmm i suppose, how would you do it, there is a kind of a no losing of stats over leveling philosphy so you'd have to do something really smart.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

The vampire should carry a sword (blade)
prob 2 attacks 9 damage
and
an optional bite (pierce) with plague and drain 6-2
Circon

Post by Circon »

We have had this several times.

We've had artwork, names and stats most of the way hammered out. Please don't go suggesting a "vampire" advancement at this point.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Is a Level 2 upgrade for the Blood Bat really even necessary? I don't really see much of a reason for it, personally.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

considering that undead has 2 lvl 0 units. and a low tech tree, i would think it would be a great idea
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think the idea is good. Undead should have a fire unit, IMHO. :)

Just no vampire debate here please...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm