My Terrain (Mine!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
H-Hour

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by H-Hour »

fabi wrote:Are you aware that the current editor in the development versions allows exactly what you want,
placing [item]s on the map, displaying them exactly how they later appear in the scenario?
I was not aware. I'll have a look when 1.11.5 is out, thanks.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Personally, I find the following to be critical differences between items and terrain.
If the image is animated it must be a terrain.
If the image should appear in front of units, it must be a terrain.
If the object is bigger than one hex, it must be a terrain.

These objects are larger than one hex, satisfying the third condition. Therefore they must be terrains.

If no one else has any objections, since LordBob approves of the art, I'll gladly commit them.

Edit: Regarding the difference between map editor and in game, that should be easily solved by using a hash of the terrain string instead of index for the random seed. It shouldn't be a reason to pick items over terrain.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Just for a quick side note, I do agree that we should keep those tiles as "embellishment" terrain.
If some of the elements are interesting enough to serve as items, they can be extracted from the tiles artwork and implemented as standalone images later.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Hi doofus. I did a humble animation of your darven village to simulate a forge (my only tool is paint). As I have no clue how post an animation, I post macro an attach folder with images. (I guess you know, but need change image path).

I was hoping you could tell me how use the whole image of your village (I had to CROP it) and maybe some hints if animation doesnt look pure crap.

Edit: Moved
Last edited by tekelili on September 16th, 2013, 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello tekelili,
tekelili wrote:I did a humble animation of your darven village to simulate a forge (my only tool is paint). As I have no clue how post an animation, I post macro an attach folder with images.
Thanks! I'll take a look at it later. To post an animation, you must use GIF format. I suspect MSPaint can't handle, even if it can save GIFs. But GIMP certainly can, there are many tutorials if you search for "animated GIF GIMP".
tekelili wrote:I was hoping you could tell me how use the whole image of your village (I had to CROP it) and maybe some hints if animation doesnt look pure crap.
Don't put the [image] tag within the [tile] tag, put it outside for multi-hex images. Check out this post (and ignore my useless babble in it): http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34201
It should help explain the confusing terrain-graphics WML.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

doofus-01 wrote: Don't put the [image] tag within the [tile] tag, put it outside for multi-hex images. Check out this post (and ignore my useless babble in it): http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34201
It should help explain the confusing terrain-graphics WML.
Ty a lot, not only got full image working, also learned to light on/off animations :)
It looks like I cant give negative values to tile coordenates, and I ended with a macro that when is called with (1,1) place animation on (2,1). But for the propose of have a humble forge in my scenario... I can live with it.

Edit: I dont want invade more your thread, moved issue http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 67#p559846
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The new terrain (battlefield clutter stuff) is not part of the current dev version, right?

There is not much time left to get it in because new terrains means new translatable strings and the string freeze is near.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fabi wrote:The new terrain (battlefield clutter stuff) is not part of the current dev version, right?

There is not much time left to get it in because new terrains means new translatable strings and the string freeze is near.
Are we waiting for something on my end? I could probably get it done withing the next few days, if so. (But I'll need a hint for what it is.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

doofus-01 wrote:
fabi wrote:The new terrain (battlefield clutter stuff) is not part of the current dev version, right?

Are we waiting for something on my end? I could probably get it done withing the next few days, if so. (But I'll need a hint for what it is.)
I don't know either.
In what state is the new terrain?

If you have all files and they are working,
the commit itself is not a problem for me.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fabi wrote:I don't know either.
In what state is the new terrain?
It currently exists in UMC-land. If you want to see it before acting, it is a terrain in 1.11.x add-on named Trinity, available in editor.
fabi wrote:If you have all files and they are working,
the commit itself is not a problem for me.
I've attached the images, compressed in a folder named "misc". I've also attached the WML, but editor group & terrain codes will probably need to be adjusted.
Attachments
detritus-images.tgz
(328.82 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
trash-terrain.cfg
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Commited.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I noticed some bad stuff going on in snowy orc castles. It didn't occur to me until part way through to take a before/after shot, but this image should show what I mean.
badsnow-shot1.png
badsnow-shot1.png (61.57 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
On the bottom-right corner of the left-hand fort is something that looks more like caulk than snow.

Not that it's all perfect, but I've fixed the most egregious offenders in this archive, intended as a replacement for "terrain/castle/winter-orcish".
winter-orcish.tgz
(249.24 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
For any developer hesitant to commit this because they are not an "artist": I made the old images, and it was fatigue or sloppiness on my part that had them the way they were. I doubt Jetrel or Eleazar, or whoever commited the originals, really wanted the strange dark outlines and grey snow. But, your call, I guess.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Commited to 1.12 and master.

BTW, boucman committed the old ones for you back then.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

This is relatively minor, but there is an "embellishment" terrain, terrain code "^Esd", that was something I included as a graphics layer in the ruined sand-castles (or something else, don't remember), but it was never meant to be its own terrain, and I don't think it looks very good right now. I think this is better, and if anyone in charge agrees, the contents of this compressed "rocks" folder can be dumped into the "core/images/terrain/embellishments" folder without any other changes.

If there is something wrong with this new version, I can try to adjust it. I'd prefer to get the currently used version replaced.
Attachments
rocks.tgz
(60.76 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
sand-rocks1.jpg
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Are you referring to a mainline or custom terrain? There's no mainline terrain like that. It could be made a new one, though.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?