Wesnoth 1.11.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.11.4

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.11.4 is out!

After a couple of months, the fourth release of the 1.11.x development branch is here! As it is the norm with development releases, it contain many more bugs than the latest stable release from the 1.10.x series. Additionally, 1.10.x content might not be compatible with 1.11.x due to various changes in the game engine and WML syntax done in the development branch.

Don’t be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then — regular players wanting a stable gaming experience should not use this release, and stick to the stable branch instead. However, if you want to test the future of Wesnoth and help us find bugs so they can be fixed in a timely fashion, you are more than welcome to check out this release. If you find a bug, please do not assume that it is so obvious that we already know about it! Report it and make sure that we are aware of it!

You might have expected to read about 1.11.3 in here, but this is not the case due to a micro AI bug which made the game crash. I decided it would better to not announce 1.11.3, have the guys work on things and possibly also commit some other stuff and get 1.11.4 out as soon as the issue was fixed.

Another new thing is that this is the first release based upon our source tree moved from SVN to Git. So in case you find any references to SVN left, please make sure to tell the team about them so that we can handle them. The documentation in the wiki was updated to point to GitHub as our repository host.

One of the most drastic changes for this release is the complete overhaul of the editor’s user interface. The new micro AIs feature was significantly improved, too. Of course there is also the normal assortment of bug fixes, graphics and translation updates.

As usual, there is a vast amount of additional changes since the last development release for both players and content authors, most of which are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only notable, user-visible changes.

Important changes and new features

I was not asked to mention anything specific.

Known Issues (might be fixed in a future release)

There are no issues which are important enough to be listed here. Of course we have a huge list of bugs which might eventually be fixed.

Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (372.9 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.11.2 to 1.11.3, 6.7 MB)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.11.3 to 1.11.4, 2.0 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for information on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The Mac OS X package is now available (June 9). You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the download page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get the files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.11.4 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.4. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

The add-ons server for 1.11.x is already running. It was started with the release of 1.11.0 and it serves content for all 1.11.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using the official bug tracker. Again, we require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how trivial or complicated they are!

Enjoy!
Last edited by ivanovic on June 27th, 2013, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: OS X version now available.
Dugi

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.4

Post by Dugi »

Is the full changelog complete or are there important undocumented changes again?
In 1.11.1, the way the advance and post advance events were fired was changed; in 1.11.2, the syntax for ability descriptions was changed, both causing clearly visible and hard to find problems with WML and neither of them was mentioned.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

1. If one follows the dev version, or development in general, one needs to live with such things.
2. I don't know about advance and post advance events (what change did you notice ?); the ability description thing at least is mentioned here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 96#p520196
3. Personnally, I follow the commit log to spot "Compatibility-breaking WML and Lua syntax changes", that's what I would recommend for everyone able to compile.
4. I you notice something not mentioned in that thread, feel invited to complain.
5. BfW is so huge and confusing that sometimes such changes are unintended and are actually bugs then. Also, sometimes developers forget to edit the changelog.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Neither of them was a crash bug, but it still was clearly visible.
The 1.11.1 one was simply a change of something's behaviour to its intended behaviour, but when some unit was meant to be changed both in advance event and in post advance event, it started doing something else. It caused me trouble that took me very long to solve, and Shadowmater had problems with it in AtS as well. It was changed on the wiki later, but not on the changelog and the difference between its behaviour on 1.11.0 and prior and on 1.11.1+ is not mentioned.
The 1.11.2 one was that the descriptions of weapon specials and abilities have its name added automatically at the beginning of the description, and if it is different, it does not add it, but announces a WML error as chat. I found no reference about it over the forums, only finding it in the source code helped.

Please add these two things to the changelog, to avoid further confusion.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

ivanovic wrote:You might have expected to read about 1.11.3 in here, but this is not the case due to a micro AI bug which made the game crash. I decided it would better to not announce 1.11.3, have the guys work on things and possibly also commit some other stuff and get 1.11.4 out as soon as the issue was fixed.
Good choice ivanovic, but you might as well just come out and say it -- we all know that in 1.11.3 the reason the game crashed was that the AI was trying to reprogram the game to cheat ;)
Never

Post by Never »

Lovely to see this being updated all the time, can't wait to test the new multiplayer AI out! Love you guys, keep it up
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

yeah, i like the AI in development version, it grabs the village effectively and choosing good unit, awesome.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

It seems BfW 1.11.4 doesn't support Mac OSX 10.5.8 anymore.
On the download page, edit "Mac OS X (10.5+)" to "Mac OS X (10.6+)", please.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

It was intended to support 10.5 at the time I compiled it. It may have to do with other changes made to the build. It should actually support 10.4 on a G4 as well (and is likely to still do so even though it doesn't work for x86 processors). I can reupload it if desired or you can wait for the next release.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Alarantalara wrote:
SkyOne wrote:It seems BfW 1.11.4 doesn't support Mac OSX 10.5.8 anymore.
On the download page, edit "Mac OS X (10.5+)" to "Mac OS X (10.6+)", please.
It was intended to support 10.5 at the time I compiled it. It may have to do with other changes made to the build. It should actually support 10.4 on a G4 as well (and is likely to still do so even though it doesn't work for x86 processors). I can reupload it if desired or you can wait for the next release.
Glad to hear it. Thank you.
For Mac users, a matter of missing a few versions happened during the process of BfW 1.5.x, so waiting is not a huge issue. But of course, as our wishes, nothing is better than that something brings you a desire to re-upload it.:)

We always appreciate your works on BfW.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Thanks for the Mac version! :D I will point out that the front page needs to be updated.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

StandYourGround wrote:Thanks for the Mac version! :D I will point out that the front page needs to be updated.
Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.