The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Prince_Pwnly

Re: The Altaz Mariners - finally finished!

Post by Prince_Pwnly »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I can't work out why that error message appears as I double checked and the Khalid unit file is present and correct. Did it mean the game crashed? What else happened beside the message?
Nothing, I've gotten that error twice but game continued as normal.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

Prince_Pwnly wrote:Nothing, I've gotten that error twice but game continued as normal.
Did you play a single player or multiplayer campaign?
Are there units in the ivory tower? Because if the game can't find the Khalid unit files, then the ivory tower will not be populated.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

marvalis wrote:Are there units in the ivory tower? Because if the game can't find the Khalid unit files, then the ivory tower will not be populated.
At least it doesn't break the game. It'll soon be fixed.
klein_atuin wrote:...the point is: i got totally stuck in solent's tower. thought the key might unlock another door, but like your keys often do, it simply vanished after using once (strange keys indeed, mine don't, i always put them back into my pocket).

i hope i don't miss an item, i should have picked years before ;)
I wondered how people would cope with the puzzles. I don't think they're too obscure, but I guess it's always harder if you don't realise you're facing a puzzle. However, rest assured there's no parts where you'll get stuck if you missed something. As for the keys, I made them (and other items) vanish after they've been used to make it easier on players. I didn't want them going round trying to use leftover bits of inventory in situations in which they do nothing.
marvalis wrote:The first time I went to Farrow, I lost due to turn limit. But I was under-leveled and did not have any followers. When I went there with money to recall a healer, a follower and much stronger heroes I could beat the scenario really easy in about half the max turns. Now I know how difficult the scenario is and I will never run into trouble there again.
Ideally, we'd like players to be able to go through the campaign without having to reload due to first-time surprises. I know this is almost impossible to anticipate, but one thing we did was to make the colour of the island labels indicate the danger level. Yellow represents a slight threat or a skirmish, orange a decent-sized battle, red a very tough battle. Islands with green labels contain very little or no combat. This colour-code system allows you to ensure you do not stumble into battles without enough gold or troops.
marvalis wrote:I got in the habit of never ever reloading or restarting. The berserker in the dwarf town learned me a valuable lesson. Now I liberally use the reload button.
That's fair enough, but I hope you're remembering to save and load correctly.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Prince_Pwnly

Post by Prince_Pwnly »

marvalis wrote:
Prince_Pwnly wrote:Nothing, I've gotten that error twice but game continued as normal.
Did you play a single player or multiplayer campaign?
Are there units in the ivory tower? Because if the game can't find the Khalid unit files, then the ivory tower will not be populated.
Single player. And I'll answer the second part with "It's NOT supposed to be deserted on the outside? :shock: "
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The first update for The Altaz Mariners is now on the add-ons server. Not much has changed in 2.1: the khalifate units are fixed on the Ivory Tower in single-player mode - and the blood terrain now shows on deep inside. Two bugs is not bad. Any advances?

If anyone's interested here's the complete list of changes since the first version of the campaign:
Spoiler:
My current projects:
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Thanks a lot for this campaign

I notice a bug
Spoiler:
And i need help
Spoiler:
By the way, statues don't do anything now ?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for letting us know about the bug, gregor. The problem with these open-ended subquests is that there's so many things that might screw up the continuity and/or break other events. I'll look into it.
"In Hellenia i didn't find any map and Socrates won't say anything interesting, is it normal ?"
Spoiler:
"In addition i have no reward from Farrow for giving the arms shipment in the wreck"
Spoiler:
By the way, statues don't do anything now ?
Spoiler:
I finished the brake blade quest, did all the island, found the sroll to Icewind went to the statue, took the book and now i am stuck. Nobody in the temple will talk me about the storm wall and i need one more book to gain access to the second level of the Ivory tower.
Spoiler:
I hope my hints aren't too obscure. I don't want to ruin it for people.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on February 13th, 2013, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current projects:
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hello Gregor.

It's impossible to know where exactly you are stuck without looking at your log, but I will try to help.
Spoiler:
edit: ninja'd by bob
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
mumma

Post by mumma »

This is a great campaign. Excellent job. I played it for the first time with Gregor the other day and now I can't stop.

The problem I am having right now is figuring out when I should recruit or recall units at the beginning of a scenario. Because I want to save all my gold I set off with the fewest possible units and I frequently die. Adding to my issues is that I haven't figured out how to save/load properly. Once I figure out the save/loading stuff I should be 'right as rain' and I'll waste a few months of free time messing around with the Altaz Mariners.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hi mumma,

For proper saving, the most important thing is to use a manual save. That is, a save you create. Not an autosave, not a Start of Scenario save. When I play, I make a save on the world map before I enter a new island.

See this link for more:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34363

As for your question about recruits/difficulty....that will be unique for every player. That said, there are clues as to the difficulty of a scenario. First of all, notice the traffic light system of labels for islands on the world map. Red is danger, green is safety. If an island on the world map is labeled orange or red, you can be assured there will be battle. Secondly, look to the number of possible recruit hexes. If there are keeps/castle hexes for recruit, remember they are functional as well as cosmetic.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I loved playing The Altaz Mariners (Singleplayer Mode). My rating is a 9 out of 10. :D

What I liked:
1. The Main Quest
2. World Map
3. Trading
4. Diversified recalls
5. Sub-quests

What I hated:
1. 200% XP modifier. :(
2. The excessive bonus gold the enemy receives at the start of Fort Liberty.
3. Shops in Fort Bastille that weren't usable.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hello Lord-Knightmare,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! You are the first person to win the campaign, as far as I know.

Addressing some of the things you didn't like:
-200% XP: I think it's important for the (2) main heroes to remain at the 200% rate, but we did float the idea that normal units could be reduced to 100%. We'll see.
-Shops: Ironically, Bob had put together some working shops for the various ports. We removed them for the release until we could tighten them up. So, there is a good chance that they will be included in the future. Do you have any ideas as to what the shops should sell?

cheers
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm glad you enjoyed it! You are the first person to win the campaign, as far as I know.
Wow :shock:
Addressing some of the things you didn't like:
-200% XP: I think it's important for the (2) main heroes to remain at the 200% rate, but we did float the idea that normal units could be reduced to 100%. We'll see.
150% would be a better option.
-Shops: Ironically, Bob had put together some working shops for the various ports. We removed them for the release until we could tighten them up. So, there is a good chance that they will be included in the future. Do you have any ideas as to what the shops should sell?
Weapons, Armor upgrades, Healing Potions, etc.

Also, in Victory scenario, the game does not end after I had gotten the You have completed the campaign message.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
aderidder

Post by aderidder »

My friend and I are playing this game, and it's so awesome that I've decided to write some fan fiction based on it. We did notice that if we saved and reloaded during certain parts, computer-controlled units would (plot-inappropriately) suddenly become our enemies. But even that wasn't such a big deal. I will let you know how my writing progresses. Thanks for inspiring me!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi aderidder, could you give me more detail about when you saved & reloaded? Which scenarios did it happen on? Which units changed side? Were you playing it as a single player campaign? As a multiplayer campaign over the server or using hot-seat mode?

Fan fiction, cool :)
My current projects: