Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vendanna

Re: Polar Fauna

Post by Vendanna »

Its a critter! :augh:

Apart of that, the squirrel thing is my favourite of the bunch so far. :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

since garden variety trolls are sort of rock-descendants, what do yall think about

ice stalagmights (or golems / polyhedra ?)
align: neutral (animated by ice magic ritual or ambient magic)
appearance: large/normal size, piles of ice
defense: 70%+ambush on ice, good on snow and in water
movement: normal on ice, slow otherwise
resistance: hard to pierce and slash, susceptible to fire, partly transparent to arcane
hp and attacks: as swarm impact (tripping, leg bludgeon)
level2 special on death: spawn 1 level0 stalagmight, spawn 1 stalactit

ice stalactits (or flycicles?)
align: neutral (animated by ice magic ritual or ambient magic)
appearance: glider shaped icicles, small size
movement: fly
resistance: hard to pierce and slash, susceptible to fire, partly transparent to arcane
hp and attacks: as swarm piercing
level1 special: spawn 1 level0 stalagmight

:hmm: not sure this would count as fauna
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

zookeeper wrote:The weasedillo is my favourite. Could it have a venomous stinger? :mrgreen:
Here is a second praise for the weasedillo! It must be made canon! :D
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Wow, these look great! It's impressive how fast you made them, too; it can take me weeks to finish single sprites, let alone sets of them.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys. I guess I will do something with the little furry thing after all. It will be very deadly, whether a bear-trap mouth or a backstabbing, poisonous, something - we'll see.
zookeeper wrote: The only thing which looks off to me is the beaver/kangaroo/squirrel thing's, which seems like it should be a lot smaller.
I think a word got dropped, what should be smaller?
tr0ll wrote:since garden variety trolls are sort of rock-descendants, what do yall think about ...
Would be easier to draw, but those aren't really fauna. Could be interesting as terrain "traps" though. :hmm: (But let's not pursue that in this thread.)

Weasadillo: With a stinger. And a very rough sketch of an animation - it's either the beginning of attack (somersault-like) or transition to rolling movement. I'm not sure if it is possible to filter the unit path so that if the sprite stays on one terrain, like ice, it fires a "rolling animation", but if the path goes through water or ends on hills, a "scamper animation" is fired instead. Or, as a possibly clearer example, would it be possible to make a drake sprite fly only if the path took it over water?

EDIT:slight update to GIF EDIT2: and again, because it is a work in progress.
Attachments
weasadillo-move.gif
weasadillo-move.gif (3.88 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
weasadillo-stinger.png
weasadillo-stinger.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 26th, 2013, 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:
zookeeper wrote: The only thing which looks off to me is the beaver/kangaroo/squirrel thing's, which seems like it should be a lot smaller.
I think a word got dropped, what should be smaller?
Err, yes... :? The word would be "head".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've decided life is too short to worry about the movement animation, so that rolling animation is going to be an attack. So, weasadillo has "crash" attack and stinger attack. Stinger animation isn't done, I don't even have an idea for it, though I'll someday get to it. If anyone wants it, here's the files. The tgz should be unpacked in an images/units/monsters directory, unless you want to edit the .cfg.
weasadillo.tgz
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Weasadillo.cfg
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
EDIT:I drew a quick portrait, for all those dialogue lines that weasels have. The torso is too short, because I need to get better at foreshortening, but maybe the length of the sprite can be taken as comic exaggeration. I agree with Blaurymrummnian's post, it's hard to know where everything fits. The weasadillo's stats are crap, I don't stand by any of it, aside from the concept and artwork.
Attachments
weasadillo.png
weasadillo.png (86.86 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 27th, 2013, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Doofus wrote:Image
Awesome :D
zookeeper wrote:I'm not very fond of the "bears and wolves as monsters" trope, really. If it's a fantasy world, there's a lot more room for more original monsters than that.
But wolves and bears serve a very special purpose, they set the scale by which you think of how strong or weak the other units are. A griffin or a dragon or a giant weasel-scorpion could be 10 times weaker or stronger in a particular implementation, as there are no real-life analogies; humans are also incredibly inconsistent in strength in wesnoth, and in fantasy-setting RPGs and films in general (and as a common and expected trope the power of a human is his "experience", hero status and equipment rather than his biological capabilities); but with a bear or a wolf in a game, you can imagine it to be roughly the same as a bear or a wolf in real life. Just like Cortex Command had lots of powerful sci-fi weapons, and then a set of relatively useless real-life weapons to set the scale for them.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

doofus-01 wrote:I've decided life is too short to worry about the movement animation, so that rolling animation is going to be an attack. So, weasadillo has "crash" attack and stinger attack. Stinger animation isn't done, I don't even have an idea for it, though I'll someday get to it. If anyone wants it, here's the files. The tgz should be unpacked in an images/units/monsters directory, unless you want to edit the .cfg.
weasadillo.tgz
Weasadillo.cfg
EDIT:I drew a quick portrait, for all those dialogue lines that weasels have. The torso is too short, because I need to get better at foreshortening, but maybe the length of the sprite can be taken as comic exaggeration. I agree with Blaurymrummnian's post, it's hard to know where everything fits. The weasadillo's stats are crap, I don't stand by any of it, aside from the concept and artwork.
I want one! :mrgreen:
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A couple of owl ideas. The smaller one would be sort of like the bat in terms of size & flapping animation. The bigger one can't fly.
Attachments
owels.png
owels.png (4.29 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I have not given up on this...
Attachments
owel-small.gif
owel-small.gif (2.71 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

How about Ice-golems? They are not really animals, but they would fit into wesnoth.
Alternatic

Post by Alternatic »

Wow! The wing movement is cool. The main problem with it is IMO that the owl doesn't move up and down. It should be sort of "pulled up" when the wings go down and than slowly go down again.

Keep it up! :wink:
All mistakes included in the message above are intentional.
You can buy a version without mistakes for 5$ each.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I haven't studied wing movement, but I can see two things about the animation: I agree with Alternatic that the body should move more by the wing flapping to give it a more natural feel. The movement of the head/ torso and tail is pretty nice it could just use more pronunciation I think. The other thing I'd recommend is having the wings spend some more time in both their up and down positions would improve it, due to the air resistance.

The top of the owl could use some brightening including the outline, the first impression I got was that it looked too dark.

Maybe the big owl could use a bigger beak? It's going to eat a lot at that size anyway.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Birds seem to move more and less than you'd expect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vARD17nQjg
At slow speeds it looks like they move more forwards and backwards than up and down.