Chat Moderation-Filter

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Lord_Kata

Chat Moderation-Filter

Post by Lord_Kata »

One thing I have a problem is with the game, is that there is no filter, moderation, etc. on the multiplayer. People can curse you out, and nothing happens. My idea is either we,
A. Add a 'report' button.
B. Have a filter so any time someone writes S***,D*** etc. it will not appear in the chat.

Wesnoth should be appropriate for all ages. And kids play the game. I think this would be a great feature, keeping the game clean. I have ran into some people where they would just swear up a storm, cursing me, etc.
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Chat Moderation-Filter

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

If you are hosting the game, you can warn people that you do not want any swearing, and kick people (or silence them) if they do swear. If you are not hosting, and playing with other random people, then... you can choose not to play with those people. Honestly, I would never go into the Wesnoth MP lobby and join a game with random people, or set up a game that any random person could join. I only play with people I know, who are mature and responsible enough not to act like that.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Lord_Kata wrote:A. Add a 'report' button.
You do know that you already can summon a mod?
I have a cunning plan.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Lord_Kata wrote:B. Have a filter so any time someone writes S***,D*** etc. it will not appear in the chat.
A lot of coding with little outcome. First, each spam filter has its disadvantages (not covering everything wrong, having a lot of false positives), which is frustrating and hard to maintain. Then, there are a lot of languages used on the MP server. Despite the official language being English, I always see all kinds of languages being spoken; and as each language has its own swear words, the incompleteness of a hypothetical filter would grow immensely.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Lord_Kata

Post by Lord_Kata »

nuorc wrote:
Lord_Kata wrote:A. Add a 'report' button.
You do know that you already can summon a mod?
Well, I'm not just saying this for my self, I mean for general use. Again, people with different religions, ages, etc. are playing the game, and we should filter it.
Crendgrim wrote:
Lord_Kata wrote:B. Have a filter so any time someone writes S***,D*** etc. it will not appear in the chat.
A lot of coding with little outcome. First, each spam filter has its disadvantages (not covering everything wrong, having a lot of false positives), which is frustrating and hard to maintain. Then, there are a lot of languages used on the MP server. Despite the official language being English, I always see all kinds of languages being spoken; and as each language has its own swear words, the incompleteness of a hypothetical filter would grow immensely.
And that make's sense.
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

It might be useful to some users to have this feature. Although, as you said, it has its limitations.

In case you weren't aware, there is already a way to mute observers:

Code: Select all

:muteall
    toggles muting/silencing of all observers on/off
:mute [username]
    mute a specific observer. If no username is supplied the muted usernames are displayed.
And the /ignore chat command ...

People like that probably deserve a spot in your ignores list anyway.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Lord_Kata wrote:Well, I'm not just saying this for my self, I mean for general use. Again, people with different religions, ages, etc. are playing the game, and we should filter it.
Well, general use would be knowing the Code of Conduct and going by it, or else know what to do. With warning, muting, ignoring and calling a mod I believe there's a complete set of measures.

And I don't think filtering would work/be worthwhile. (I just took my duck to sussex for good f***)
Lord_Kata wrote:And that make's sense.
I don't know if you mean the filter should grow or agree that it's futile.

*** = ood. Depending on your fantasy you might have three false positives/hints to bypass a filter/potential problems for filters.
I have a cunning plan.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Crendgrim wrote:and as each language has its own swear words, the incompleteness of a hypothetical filter would grow immensely.
You forgot the option to write swear words using letters of other language and symbols.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

People would just end up typing d.umb.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Colouredbox wrote:People would just end up typing d.umb.
Once AI is finished, maybe we could get those guys on that! :lol2:
I have a cunning plan.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

is there no slap (leader.hp-=5), kick and ban? these are essential and should be sufficient for all situtations.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

There is a kick and ban commands.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

xudojnik wrote:There is a kick and ban commands.
If you are not hosting?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

JaMiT wrote:
xudojnik wrote:There is a kick and ban commands.
If you are not hosting?
If [censored] hosting, then you can just quit. If there is 2 other people, and one of them is [censored], then you can easily convince host to kick him.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Well, at least there is agreement on some points, even if the discussion is going circular...
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:If you are not hosting, and playing with other random people, then... you can choose not to play with those people.
xudojnik wrote:If **** hosting, then you can just quit. If there is 2 other people, and one of them is ****, then you can easily convince host to kick him.
(Yes, I did apply my own filter to an incorrect use of terminology. Swearing is about civility and manners, not intelligence.)