regarding donation links for music composers

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

regarding donation links for music composers

Post by SkyOne »

Hello,

I am thinking that there should be donation links for the music composers of BfW on this forum (or somewhere else). The quality of Wesnoth default music is very high, and it is a definitely important part for BfW to keep and carry more players and users.

It seems some portrait artists are recently able to obtain the commissions, but music composers are not? Of course, more numbers of portraits are necessary than the number of music here, but I think that having the links here does not disturb anyone, and as I think, creating high quality music with a theme is not easy even a good music composer.

Could anyone respond what would he/she think? I would like to hear some opinions.

best regards
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
TheScribe

Re: regarding donation links for music composers

Post by TheScribe »

if you open the ogg files in certain programs (freac for instance) you can see the name of the composer. If you desire to donate money to them, you can contact them via PM.

I'm not trying to say a donation button would be bad though...
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
lipk

Post by lipk »

It seems some portrait artists are recently able to obtain the commissions, but music composers are not?
I brought this topic up some time ago, but couldn't grab too much attention. I think the main reason for music composers not getting commissions is that we don't have a similarly well-established and stable government in the music department as in the art section. But I agree that music would be worth to spend some money on.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

lipk wrote:I brought this topic up some time ago, but couldn't grab too much attention.
Really? It is good, though. Someone else, especially a developer, has the same opinion as I am.:)
(but I start feeling that the same thing will happen...)
lipk wrote:I think the main reason for music composers not getting commissions is that we don't have a similarly well-established and stable government in the music department as in the art section.
Hmmm..., okay. Establishing the system in music section is probably our goal. The current situation in music section of BfW is not pretty good if we think about the future although West showed once or twice recently. (one of the greatest things in his music is that there are common phrases in his several music, such as knolls, silvan sanctuary, and one of the victory music. The set of those three is like a movie soundtrack. I think that not many music composers are able to create music nicely like that even real pros. The people in BfW community should recognize it IMO.)
lipk wrote:But I agree that music would be worth to spend some money on.
Thank you. I know that you know music.:)
TheScribe wrote:I'm not trying to say a donation button would be bad though...
Now we got three people agree with it in a day. Well, at least not in negative.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Music commissions is a tricky thing. Primary problem being: who decides what music is needed and who gets paid to do it? Surely not the LoM's as this would be a clear case of self interest bias. Also, how much more music does Wesnoth really need? Is all the music we have even being used?

I certainly wouldn't mind doing some paid work for Wesnoth but truth be told, I can't think of any good reason why it would be necessary. There's a wealth of great tracks already. Just adding more for the sake of having more -- and hiring someone to do it to boot -- makes no sense.

Of course, we've had discussions about having "mini soundtracks" for the mainline campaigns in the past. That might be something to consider. But just adding more random tracks... no real point IMO.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Of course, we've had discussions about having "mini soundtracks" for the mainline campaigns in the past. That might be something to consider. But just adding more random tracks... no real point IMO.
I think some of the older tracks could be updated, too.
Music commissions is a tricky thing. Primary problem being: who decides what music is needed and who gets paid to do it? Surely not the LoM's as this would be a clear case of self interest bias.
Indeed, that is the greatest showstopper. We don't have a Jetrel of music.
(one of the greatest things in his music is that there are common phrases in his several music, such as knolls, silvan sanctuary, and one of the victory music.
Knolls of Doldesh is Timothy's composition :P
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

lipk wrote:I think some of the older tracks could be updated, too.
Yes, probably. I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know which tracks that would be. Have we had any oldies updated since Northerners?

Also, this post of mine from a couple of years ago sums up my thoughts on the matter pretty good. (Please disregard that comment about UMC though, just a brain fart).
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

lipk wrote:Knolls of Doldesh is Timothy's composition :P
And the Victory music is Tyler, I think.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Aaah... :augh: I feel like fell and hit my head on the ground in front of many people. Sorry...

My real point is to donate the music composers here generally, including the works in the past. Of course, bestowing commissions on each music will be great also.

The number of mainline campaigns actually has been increasing. So no-one complains if the number of the mini soundtracks will be increased IMO.:) (I hope I can join working on them in the future...)

This is West's donation link: http://mattiaswestlund.net/?page_id=11
Journey's end, Silvan sanctuary, Northern mountain, Traveling minstrels, etc... I am sure that those are West's masterpieces, and the link works as I tested :wink:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

West wrote:And the Victory music is Tyler, I think.
There are two of them — I believe one was made by either aleksi or timothyp years before. Same goes for the defeat tracks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi again,
Sorry for taking a while. This is the list of music composers in the default (ordered from the credit list), and contributed music under my research (I hope no-more mistakes...). Some of them are still not sure who created, so any helps to complete the list will be great appreciations.

If anyone below has an own donation link (URL), please either PM me or post here. I plan to put this list on the first post of this thread by editing. I only know West’s one currently. Thank you so much for contributing great music.:)

1. Aleksi:
battle.ogg, elf-land.ogg, loyalists.ogg, main_menu.ogg, transience.ogg, underground.ogg
-----
2. dkaufman:
battle-epic.ogg, elvish-theme.ogg, heroes_rite.ogg, siege_of_laurelmor.ogg, the_city_falls.ogg, weight_of_revenge.ogg
-----
3. gmlion:
the_dangerous_symphony.ogg, the_deep_path.ogg
-----
4. jeremy2/eltiare:
nunc_dimittis.ogg, vengeful.ogg
-----
5. ZhayTee:
revelation.ogg
-----
6. West: 1. http://mattiaswestlund.net/?page_id=11 2. http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/350053 ... s-westlund
breaking_the_chains.ogg, journeys_end.ogg, legends_of_the_north.ogg, northern_mountains.ogg, silvan_sanctuary.ogg, the_king_is_dead.ogg, traveling_minstrels.ogg
-----
7. Rain:
defeat2.ogg, knalgan_theme.ogg, love_theme.ogg, suspense.ogg, victory2.ogg
-----
8. TreizeCouleurs:
frantic.ogg, northerners.ogg
----
9. TimothyP:
defeat.ogg, knolls.ogg, wanderer.ogg
----
10. Tyler Johnson:
casualties_of_war.ogg, into_the_shadows.ogg, sad.ogg, victory.ogg
----

unsure yet:
silence.ogg
----

If anyone finds any mistakes, sorry and correct me please...
best regards
Last edited by SkyOne on December 19th, 2012, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lipk

Post by lipk »

battle-epic and Siege of Laurelmor are composed by Doug Kaufman, Underground is by Aleksi.

How much time did you spend with putting that list together? The composer's name is stored in the music file itself, and any good music player could've been used to extract it :P
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

lipk wrote: battle-epic and Siege of Laurelmor are composed by Doug Kaufman, Underground is by Aleksi.
Oh, thank you. I edited the list.:)
lipk wrote:How much time did you spend with putting that list together? The composer's name is stored in the music file itself, and any good music player could've been used to extract it
I'd been just busy both own campaign works and real life. I am a family-holder in a foreign country, man. But sorry for taking too long.

I tried to open the files, but unable to do, so I spent a few hours for forum research. And my music player for ogg files is A Simple Campaign. Yeah, I am a man of the old school.
Anyway, you can probably tell who created "silence.ogg", can't you?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SkyOne wrote:Anyway, you can probably tell who created "silence.ogg", can't you?
First introduced in [rev]17566[/rev] by zookeeper. But does it really matter? It isn’t even a real music track, and anyone could recreate it if they wanted.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

The only way I could logically see this happening is if someone wanted a sole composer for their entire campaign that they were creating, and they work something out outside of the forums...like West said, we already have plenty of great quality music, adding more for the sake of composers getting paid...I don't know, doesn't sound like we need that.

The Wesnoth project is a place for composers to come and practice their craft, to try to create something great, and because the submission standards are so high for music, it forces you to be as professional as possible. It's like that first role an actor does for free, it's exposure, you can put it on your resume, but you're not getting monetary gain from it.

About not having a 'well established' government in the music section, that kind of evolved on its own due to the fact that we have a solid set of music that doesn't need much updating. Unless there is a complete overhaul in the graphics department or the game engine itself, and we switch to modern day PC and console graphics, we don't need to update music. Most of the software and samples we are using as composers are used in today's films, film trailers, blockbuster video games, etc.

Just my two cents.

-Tyler