Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Max

Re: Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

Post by Max »

you get a hint when you search for the app on the market web page (after signing in).
if you were able to install the game and got an error message when you tried to launch it the developer forgot to correctly setup the requirements for this app. i don't know how to find out what was actually missing (besides looking at the system log for details...)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Most likely your problem is simply a too low display resolution. Does your phone allow a resolution of at least 800x480 pixel? If not, Wesnoth won't work on it. Anything else might be RAM related. The more, the better. Anything below 256MB will most likely not work either, with 512MB it should be usable.

Though sadly the port itself seems very unmaintained with the creator not following up on his promises made so far...
zorroh

Post by zorroh »

i get update from market, but still no multiplayer as promised :(
Assez

Post by Assez »

Hello, i have device with screen 800x480 resolution, and i can't play in multiplayer, but single play is very well. Whether to wait for the solution of this problem?
P.S. sorry for my bad english, i'm from Russia)
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

arcadeon

Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

Post by arcadeon »

Will there be a version for android coming out on the Amazon app store because, I'm disappointed that it is only on Google Play meaning I cant use my tablet to get it on Google Play because of the limitations on the devices.
Arcitens

Post by Arcitens »

Thrash wrote: 9) Is there some way to change the default path for saves? I'd like to sync my saves between my android and my laptop using Dropbox, but believe I need to be able to change the default saves path to do so.
Yeah, second this. Are there any instructions on how to sync your save files? I'd very much like to be able to play the same saves on different devices. I currently sync Wesnoth saves with Ubunutu One but could use Dropbox if that makes it easier.
db0

Post by db0 »

Yay! Very happy to see that a port for Android has finally been released :)

I'm planning to grab it asap, but I was wondering who gets the money. Is it put into the Wesnoth Development fund or something? Or maybe spread among all the active devs?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don’t think there is any such agreement at this time, unlike the iOS port. Or alternatively, nobody has said anything about it before.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

cjhopman wrote:1. Yes, multiplayer will be cross-platform.
2. There will probably be support for custom maps and addons. Also, as you noted the data folder is essentially the same as the pc version. In fact, if you don't feel like paying for the full version you can get the free version and add all the missing stuff to that folder manually to get access to all the campaigns :) . I don't guarantee that this works or that it will continue to work (it should work right now, but I haven't tried it).
3. In addition to what Allefant said, a good reason to pay for it is that you get automatic updates from the market.
4. Androth Softworks is me. It's just some name I used because the Android Market expects you to have a company name.
Tried #2-it worked pretty well after I figured out what files to copy(at first I forgot to copy the unit image files).
MP doesn't work even with a copy of the PC files, but I think that's intended so it's not a problem.
freesole

Post by freesole »

cjhopman wrote:3. In addition to what Allefant said, a good reason to pay for it is that you get automatic updates from the market.
Are you still going to update your version? The current one is 1.8 and multiplaying no longer works since no one is using 1.8 server any more.
Mort432

Post by Mort432 »

Let's face it, the Android ports of Battle for Wesnoth are officially now [censored], because nobody's updating them anymore.
We need an official port from the devs SO badly.
Last edited by 8680 on February 14th, 2014, 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: “No profanity or obscenities” [Posting Guidelines point 1b]
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

It is true that cjhopman stopped working on his version some time ago, but if you had read this thread, you would have noticed that alep is constantly working on improving his Android port. The last update was 2 weeks ago ;)
Akumala

Post by Akumala »

Is there any way in the meantime to play BFW online via tablet?
Just bought the android version and it still is 1.8, so no way to play online...
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

You did not buy Alep's version then.

We have no way to remove the old port, and the new one is done by a different person. So, you won't be able to upgrade.

Google "kindly" removed Alep's version from the store as well, which doesn't help the users :evil: