Unit alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thelionheart

Unit alterations

Post by Thelionheart »

So I've made some tweaks to some of the loyalist units, mainly just swapping the helmets. I'm not convinced that they're any good, so if anyone has any feedback or tips on these I would really appreciate it!

http://thelionheart.imgur.com/all/

I'm having a lot of problems with perspective in particular, and right now I've barely touched some of the animations where direction changes For instance, the eye slits on the helmet when the horse is rearing just doesn't look right to me.

P.S. These are very heavily based off of these edits. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34336
shiremct
Art Contributor

Re: Unit alterations

Post by shiremct »

Your images can't currently be seen btw.
Thelionheart's images are not publicly available.
Thelionheart

Post by Thelionheart »

Okay, it should be fixed now. :annoyed:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Well you have put cylinder shaped helms on them, its a pretty basic shape to visualize in 3D. You could get a coffee cup or make a paper cylinder, hold it in front of you in the angle of the units then tip it to figure out the shape and shading of the hem when the horse is rearing.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Thelionheart

Post by Thelionheart »

Okay, so I've worked on it for awhile and have changed some of the shading and shape of the helm. But for some reason it still just doesn't look right. Is it the gold trim surrounding the eye-slits? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing "wrong".

Here's the before and after: Image
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Thelionheart wrote:Okay, so I've worked on it for awhile and have changed some of the shading and shape of the helm. But for some reason it still just doesn't look right. Is it the gold trim surrounding the eye-slits? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing "wrong".

What it seems like to me, is that you aren't making the helmets reflect any light. Also, the gold-trimming oculd be a little thinner. Looks good though.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Thelionheart

Post by Thelionheart »

TheScribe wrote:
Thelionheart wrote:Okay, so I've worked on it for awhile and have changed some of the shading and shape of the helm. But for some reason it still just doesn't look right. Is it the gold trim surrounding the eye-slits? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing "wrong".

What it seems like to me, is that you aren't making the helmets reflect any light. Also, the gold-trimming oculd be a little thinner. Looks good though.
How would it be possible to make the gold trim smaller though? Currently the gold trim is only one pixel in width. Also, when it comes to reflections, are you saying that the helmet should refelct light onto the armor? Or that the shadowing isn't good enough?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

(Note: these are just my two cents, and I'm by no means an expert, so feel free to disregard anything in here.)
Here's a quick edit I made on the newer version of the horseman to illustrate a few points. The highlights on the helmet was inconsistent with the highlights on the armor. In general, Wesnoth sprites are lit from the upper right corner, so that's what you should aim for. Also, visors didn't strike me as looking particularly gold, so I messed around with the palette on those a bit. Another thing, the two eye hole design looked a little cluttered, so I reduced it to a single slit. Overall, though, these are shaping up pretty well, so keep up the good work! :)
Attachments
QKqLU.jpg
QKqLU.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Thelionheart

Post by Thelionheart »

Okay, so I took your incredibly well done helmet and changed a small amount of things on it to make it more to my liking. Essentially my goal with this was to make the helmet look like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nuJHFGTaIVQ/T ... lm_400.jpg great helm. I'm really happy with it at the moment, but I thought I'd share it in case someone else might want it for whatever reason.
Attachments
knight.png
knight.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
horseman.png
horseman.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Looks great!