Zoom is Slow and Not set on Saves

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Scottar

Zoom is Slow and Not set on Saves

Post by Scottar »

Operating system, including its version
VISTA Home Premium vers 6.06002 SP2

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed RAM: 4GB

Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Driver Version 8.14.01.6226

Version of Wesnoth, including the configured language.
1.9.12-English

Map Zoom does not stay at last setting when I end a scenario on turn play. Zoom is sluggish in response time.

stderr.txt:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.9.12
Started on Thu Jan 05 00:58:01 2012

Automatically found a possible data directory at C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth

Data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth
User configuration directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata
User data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata
Cache directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/cache

Checking video mode: 1440x853x32...
setting mode to 1440x853x32

20120105 00:58:08 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/The_Fires_Of_Pride/translations', skipping textdomain
20120105 00:58:08 error general: no location found for 'add-ons/The_Invincible_Wall/translations', skipping textdomain
20120105 00:58:08 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/The_Wesfolk_Prince/translations', skipping textdomain

Invalid WML found: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/Music.cfg' is deprecated, use 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/Music.cfg/_main.cfg' instead. (2)

20120105 20:46:00 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [wml_message_left]: SDL left button up. The mouse button is already up, we missed an event.

20120105 20:46:01 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [wml_message_left]: SDL left button up. The mouse button is already up, we missed an event.

20120105 20:46:01 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [wml_message_left]: SDL left button up. The mouse button is already up, we missed an event.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Zoom is Slow and Not set on Saves

Post by Iris »

Scottar wrote:Map Zoom does not stay at last setting when I end a scenario on turn play. Zoom is sluggish in response time.
It should be somewhat faster on 1.9.14 from what I gather, because of a few rendering optimizations done after 1.9.13. There are unfortunately not a lot of possibilities to further speed it up at this point.

Not sure whether the zoom level being reset when reloading a game is intentional. I for one think that due to its low discoverability (since a lot of people don’t examine the hotkey settings dialog in Preferences) and the high chance of accidentally and undesirably changing the zoom level, it might not be a good idea to make it persistent for people who don’t need it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Yes, as Shadowmaster said, zoom should be sensibly faster in 1.9.14, and indeed no much room left for major speed-up there, at least with the current engine (using SDL). I still have few ideas for minor improvements though.

And, indeed, the zoom reset is partially because it's easy to hit the zoom button without noticing it and be stuck with slightly blurry sprites and decreased performance (mainly memory usage). One possible solution is to display the zoom level in a corner of the screen or some similar GUI clue. This feature should really be improved but I restarted to work on zoom too late in the 1.9.x cycle, hopefully I will get around this for 1.11.

Anyway, a little hidden trick to help your problem: the default zoom key is also a toggle between no zoom and last zoom used. This is good for you because that alternate zoom level is saved between loading, so you just need to hit that key after a reload.

However at start up it assumes that last zoom used is 50% (arbitrary chosen second default). I suppose that we should save the alternate zoom level between sessions to replace that 50%, for example, to allow switching easily between 100% and 200% instead.

Another good news for you is the fact that the images for this last zoom are cached, so the toggle is much faster than calculating another new zoom level (there is some details about ToD here, but it's faster in all cases)

I hope it helps
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

I looked at the preference settings for hot keys, there was default zoom-o, zoom in- +, zoom out- -. Perhaps if you could have a default zoom setting for each scenario map. Zoom does not change when ending turns, only when reloading saved games.

Damn aggravating when I have to re-zoom in when reloading a saved game turn, takes about a minuet for three zoom levels.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Perhaps I was not clear about my trick: just hit "default zoom-o" once after each reload (during the same game session). This will restore your last zoom level and should be much faster.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

OK, I misunderstood mostly due to the wording of the hotkey. The description should be changed to: "default to last zoom setting per game play".
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

When I hit the default zoom-o key, which is "o" by default on my hotkey setup, nothing happens. The zoom does not jump in. Example, I am currently playing Descent Into Darkness, and I believe it is the second scenario "Peaceful Valley". When I load that game, it is tiny, but pressing "o" has no visible effect; I push the "+" button about 9 times to achieve the desired level of zoom. What am I not understanding?
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Just to be sure that it's not that, the default key for default zoom is "0" as "zero", not the letter "o". Not sure why we started to type zoom-o here. You can also try rebinding the key in case it's some NumLock-related error.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

onomastikon wrote:When I hit the default zoom-o key, which is "o" by default on my hotkey setup, nothing happens. The zoom does not jump in. Example, I am currently playing Descent Into Darkness, and I believe it is the second scenario "Peaceful Valley". When I load that game, it is tiny, but pressing "o" has no visible effect; I push the "+" button about 9 times to achieve the desired level of zoom. What am I not understanding?
When you first start the game, it doesn't remember the last zoom from the last session if you quite out of it. So you have to rezoom to the level you last had using the + key. From that session on, if you go back to a last saved segment, pressing 'zero' key will rezoom to you preset level quite quickly from having to using the + key.

That's the idiosyncrasy of the game, unfortunately, but it's free, challenging and entertaining. When I get the bucks I do want to give some support for this great game.