New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Post by lurker »

artisticdude wrote:I just noticed that there seems to be a certain area with higher saturation than the rest of the tile. I'm not sure if was intentional or not, but it seems a bit out of place IMO. :hmm:
Yes, it was kind of intentional. But you are right, in the brighter version it is too prominent. Fixed it. Here is the new version and the second direction.
planks5.png
planks5.png (120.96 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Now it is official. The plank bridge will have edges and joints like the wood bridge. Like so...
planks6.png
planks6.png (82.92 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I think that your new bridges are amazing. I cannot offer real critic. I can only offer a proposition - if you are not bored with tweaking and enhancing maybe you could try to make some random logs (or planks, whatever it is) slightly brighter of darker and give them slightly different hue. Just to see what happens.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Re: wooden rickety bridge
This is a really lovely, and i'm sure technically challenging piece of work.
The vanishing into the depths effect is perfect, IMHO.

If i was going to nitpick, i'd say the sharpness looks a little too high for terrain, and you've used black too aggressively in the joints. The net result is it pops out a little too much. It looks like you have been aware of this and have toned it down compared to previous screenshots. I would have tried to go a little further.
The raised ends of the boards all go dark and slightly greenish. I'd expect those worn scuffed edges rather to be lighter that the rest of the wood.

But that's more of a "stuff to keep in mind", rather than "stuff that must be fixed before it can be committed" comment.

...Still looking at the other bridges...
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Re: Hanging wooden bridge
It bugs that the bridge hangs flat in the middle in bridges more than 2 hexes long. But i realize there's no good way to fix that, short of the map designer realizing that the bridge doesn't work well like that.
Still i'm impressed with the amount of curving and hanging that was achieved within the constraints of the possible

There is a glitch in the diagonal bridges, where there's a 1 pix gap for each hex longer than 2 hexes. It's most noticeable over lava. Fix that gap, and it has my approval to be committed.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 12.32.00 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 12.32.00 PM.png (123.62 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
alluton

Post by alluton »

RE: Blank bridge. Nothing else really to say that it does look really good.(Tought a bit unsafety)
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Eleazar wrote:There is a glitch in the diagonal bridges, where there's a 1 pix gap for each hex longer than 2 hexes. It's most noticeable over lava. Fix that gap, and it has my approval to be committed.
Thanks, fixed, and attached the new pieces. But I will overhaul the WML once more for the joints and edges of the plank bridge and post a complete set later.
Eleazar wrote:If i was going to nitpick, i'd say the sharpness looks a little too high for terrain, and you've used black too aggressively in the joints. The net result is it pops out a little too much. It looks like you have been aware of this and have toned it down compared to previous screenshots. I would have tried to go a little further.
The raised ends of the boards all go dark and slightly greenish. I'd expect those worn scuffed edges rather to be lighter that the rest of the wood.
Tried to address these concerns. Here is the result.
planks7.png
planks7.png (122.02 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Thanks

Lurker

edit: Made the necessary changes to all pieces I had so far and added a second edge. Next up the n-s variant.
planks8.png
planks8.png (83.66 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
Attachments
hanging-se-nw.png
hanging-se-nw.png (6.23 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
hanging-sw-ne.png
hanging-sw-ne.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

These look really good. Will the handing bridge work over water or just chasms/lava chasms.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Flameslash wrote:These look really good. Will the handing bridge work over water or just chasms/lava chasms.
At the moment it only works over chasms. Well technically you can place it where you want of course, but it is missing a shadow. Hm, perhaps it would be worth adding the necessary tiles...
hanging_over_water.png
hanging_over_water.png (145.47 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
But mostly I am here to present the (first version of the) n-s plank bridge. I think the supports might have to vanish into the void quicker. :hmm:
planks9.png
Greetings

Lurker
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

lurker wrote: I think the supports might have to vanish into the void quicker. :hmm:
No, for me they look perfect. They fit with their length to vanishing cliffs. And this plank bridge now look so perfectly woody that in comparison the hanging bridge seems slightly too shiny. But I know that this is a pointless nitpicking so I wont whine anymore.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Mefisto wrote:
lurker wrote: I think the supports might have to vanish into the void quicker. :hmm:
No, for me they look perfect. They fit with their length to vanishing cliffs.
I think you may have misunderstood. I was not talking about the diagonal bridges, there the supports there are ok, I was talking about the n-s bridge. And I think I was right. The bridges actually fit better now:
planks10.png
planks10.png (106.87 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
Mefisto wrote:And this plank bridge now look so perfectly woody that in comparison the hanging bridge seems slightly too shiny. But I know that this is a pointless nitpicking so I wont whine anymore.
Hm, all three wooden bridges look quite different. And I wanted the hanging bridge to look better crafted actually. I do hope it still looks like wood, though.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

lurker wrote: And I think I was right. The bridges actually fit better now
Yes, in case of n-s bridge you were right. I misundersood what you meant.
Mefisto wrote:Hm, all three wooden bridges look quite different. And I wanted the hanging bridge to look better crafted actually. I do hope it still looks like wood, though.
Like shiny, new, lacquered wood. I mean in comparison to plank bridge when you managed to make appearance of something old and worn. Well, it can be something magical, this is Wesnoth after all.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Mefisto wrote:Like shiny, new, lacquered wood. I mean in comparison to plank bridge when you managed to make appearance of something old and worn. Well, it can be something magical, this is Wesnoth after all.
Hanging bridges are not supposed to be magical in my book. :hmm:
But for the moment I will leave the hanging bridge as it is. Underground scenarios often lack a bit of bling anyway*). So brighter ropes and a bit of shiny wood might just do them good.

*) one notable exception being "Roar of the Woses", by the way. I wonder why the "trickle" overlay was not committed to mainline as an embellishment for water.

edit: two new edges, no special questions to ask, just showing progress...
planks11.png
planks11.png (137.07 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
edit: ...and the last two. Missing are now only the joints and the docks
planks12.png
planks12.png (150.18 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
edit: joints and docks. WML beautification is under way, but before I post a new zip I will try to make a version of the hanging bridge with shadows (for over water)
planks13.png
planks13.png (101.83 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Long time no see,

well here is the latest version of the new bridges.It features
- A minor refactoring of the WML
- A complete set for the rickety bridge. However that bridge is in need of some more work, not all combinations look good.
- The other two bridges of course, but they are unchanged.

I also thought of extending the hanging bridge to work over water, but that needs four times as many tiles (until now the only drawback I have found for my kind of cutting). I may do them at a later point in time, but the sad truth is currently I simply lack the inclination.

Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
new_bridges.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 437 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

The bridges look great!

How about an ice bridge like
for situations like
iceland.jpg
iceland.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 5056 times

Just a suggestion :)

Best,
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed