Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Battlecruiser_Venca

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

last scenarios are quite challenging :)
sv75

Post by sv75 »

I have played this excellent campaign a few times.
It's just great... even if it's a bit eclectic (we used to fight aliens, cyborgs, robots... AND demons, you know).

I have only a few complains.

1. "Boss" Goliath is too weak for being a boss because player has overpowered hunters with 'slow' attack. Maybe it is good idea to double Goliath's attacks counts?

2. Some scenarios are too way easy because player starts with huge amount of money (very common bfw problem). Assault of the evil stronghold (backed up by dwarven allies) is a first that comes to my mind: enemies come in small numbers, lots of money to spare, very boring.
Destructinator

Post by Destructinator »

I think the Golioth is weak cuz it is the 1st boss.
And with that i say :mrgreen:
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

maybe it'll be good to make give Galas RPG - style AMLA system similar to Kaleh in UtBS. It can also help to make it consistent with AtS campaign
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:maybe it'll be good to make give Galas RPG - style AMLA system similar to Kaleh in UtBS. It can also help to make it consistent with AtS campaign
Yes I think that sounds like a good idea also.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

Wesnoth 1.8.6 campaign 1.80.01 difficulty: default (normal)

Hello, I just played trough the campaign in two days. Ill just post some quick remarks:
(numbered for easy reading, not because of the questions in post one)

1) Overall very good and enjoyable campaign, well done.

2) Some campaigns just let you have have to much gold (1k+ is a bit much). I ended one campaign 40 turns early (I didn't write down which one it was, sorry)

3) I used mostly ghosts during several scenario's. Arcane damage + the mobility is just too good (units and resistances might need some balancing). I also leveled some hunters and used the shaman line obviously for slow heals and arcane attacks.

4) It's nice to be able to use the powerful lich hero.

5) Movement in the desert for regular (non-desert, non-flying) units is just too slow. I had an elvish captain drag behind one campaign, and I ended up using only sylph, shyde and shosts.

6) When you stumble across the dwarf in the caves, the battle begins. I used an advance scout (bat) so my main army was still far away. The dwarf leader got killed and the game was lost. The problem with scripted events like this is this: The first time you trigger it you don't know what is going to happen. At the very least the dwarf leader should have stayed on his keep.

7) There are several of these triggered events in the game, I often had to reload a few turns earlier so I could be 'ready' for the event.

8 ) The final levels just dragged on and on (in part 2). The biomechanical units just keep respawning. I ended up using command line the final few levels just to get it over with and finish the story. In addition to this, you can no longer lose a single unit, and you are forced to use the same units for several scenario's (lucky for me I recruited what I needed the first time so I didn't have to reload.)

9) Walls of text. At the end of a certain scenario, I think the one where you awaken the mage of light, there is a huge wall of text. It would be better to spread some of this out over multiple events.

10) Story: Not much to see here, pretty basic concept but worked out in detail with plenty of story twists (although a bit cliché).

11) Character development: It would have been fun to see my hero's improve a bit more for a bit more RPG-like gameplay (the mage of light has a few level up options). Level 3 main hero could be improved by adding a level 4 and maybe a custom unit with leadership.

12) I spend a long time trying to kill those hive-thingies to see if that does anything. Guess it doesn't lol. Still a good way to heal your ghosts (100% hit no retaliation).

13) I just could not understand why chaotic units where called loyalists :/.

Like I said, overall very good campaign.
Sindriv

Post by Sindriv »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

Easy, and I found that to be challenging enough :p

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

Some scenarios were rather difficult, but I never felt it was over the top.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?

Rather clearly. There wasn't a point when I was clueless to what to do.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?

Awesome. Great story. A bit of drag when you were trying to find the Shadow master. I felt there were a little too many scenarios in his castle.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

Trying to keep my elites alive. I always hate it when a character I've grown fond of dies, even though that have no real relevance to the story.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

Less scenarios in the Shadow Master's castle.

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?

Didn't notice any, so if there were, they weren't significant enough to downgrade the story.
woseleaf

Post by woseleaf »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?

Easy, but it was hard.

It was just so difficult that you will not give up, but challenging.

Good, but in Library the campaign show that explore the library. I did not have to.

Awesome

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

Add more advancements to the Elvish Hunter, like a unit skilled in leadership

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

Don´t know

Can´t see any
Never do something you don´t have to
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Medium, 1.90.1 campaign version, 1.9.9 Wesnoth version

So far, moderate. It had some hard parts, but mostly it's challenging without being silly.

Very

Pretty good. Sometimes it's a bit stale, but mostly enjoyable.

Super slow movement of my heales through the caves.

7-8

Well, here's the meat of my problem. I'm in the level with the poisonous bow, but no-one can pick it up. I first tried a elven rider, but apparently it's not suited to him, so I tried my elven leader, but he can't pick it up either. What's going on here?

I admit, I've not been paying great attention.
direfish

Post by direfish »

i can't seem to find the "After the Fall" feedback thread. should we post our comments on it here?
direfish

Post by direfish »

1. Easy
2. too easy even for easy difficulty. boss fights seemed to be the only challenge
3. perfectly clear
4. probably needs some work. the story is complicated and epic (but surprisingly dull and generic). after a while it starts being somewhat confusing too. some elements of the plot could be further expanded (the origin of those drones, for instance, or some flashbacks into the history of those humans from the empire, apparently enslaved by demons and where those Aragwaithi come from). a few times i lost track on what was going on (this actually happened in After the Fall, but i can't find it's own dedicated thread)
5. -
6. good stuff overall, you're very good at scenario design
7. make it more diverse. a huge number of troop types is available for hire, but the campaign is designed so that in most scenarios you'd gimp yourself if you recruited anything but high-level ghosts and elven ancestors.
8. -
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

nightmare. you'd bettre set it easier because from those situations l confronted l feel that this campaign is really not yet balanced

"pretty" hard. some of them, especially the battles against armies are accursed difficult, not those RPG like adventures in enemy lairs

very clear

boooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
these people are too serious. but without any jokes, two characters shall be fixed. Their attitudes are abnormal when l tried to put myself in their places. l mean Elynia and Malin, you know

some of them are very hard. for example, defeat malin kenshar is already a hard thing

l like it, but it is not fun

characters shall face their fate with ease, like northern rebirth did, but not like they are gonna to bear the hope and the heaviest burden of Irdya etc. Those platitudes annoy players a lot

nope
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

oh my! l forget the version.

my version is 1.9.12. now updated to 1.10
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

oh my! at first l dont understand what is the use for"1-10", now l get it.
sorry, my bad

only about how funny it is, sorry, l give 6-. About this campaign it will be different, l gave 7.5, lower than TRoW, DM, Liberty, NR,TSoF, SotB and UtBS, according to an ascending sequence. Unlisted campaigns are lower than yours. Set a standard, UtBS or To Lands Unknown=10, Eastern Invasion=0, your campaign is already pretty high ranked.

There is still many things to improve, which can make it outstanding, while for now it is only a good one. l hope we can discuss it privately.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Campaign 1.90.6, first part only, BfW 1.10.0

I tried on hard, won the first scenario in the first try but recognized after trying second scenario several times I probably need at least 200 gold to survive there. I didn't manage to do that so went on to play on medium difficulty. The first 3 scenarios were challenging even so, but from there on the difficulty declines rapidly. 132 losses in total, about 80 of them in face your fate. Other than odd triggered events I had no problems later on.

Mostly clear.

Very interesting, but sometimes not clear at all. At times it is simply unbelievable. The ease with which the elves accept Mal Keshar. The ease with which Anlinde decides to sacrifice herself to atone for sth. she has done ages ago and until recently didn't worry too much about.

Finishing first scenario with enough gold was too hard for me on highest difficulty, fine on medium.
Many triggered events that leave you surrounded - if you scout to avoid surprises it tends to trigger those. No problem with map knowledge.
Trying to play with elves.

8 (I see so many units for the first time here.)

More incentives to play elves (other than shamans).

Crossfire: Killing the fourth leader is easy, when deciding to let him run I somehow feared this will take a bonus from me.
Face your fate: Make the enemy killable, but let him kill then Anlinde as a last deed instead. Same result better feeling.
Bye and behold: I had no void armor or so (which I read about here) earlier so I would have been happy about the Dwarven armor, but I don't get it, it doesn't show up. Nobody has changed resistances.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.