Additional Mage Specialization

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghyr-easeus

Re: Additional Mage Specialization

Post by ghyr-easeus »

I'm also thinking of adding some magical units to Northerners (possibly smth like Orcish shamans of Warcraft series) and Knalgan Alliance.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. If you want it - I'll try to write it (but I'm not sure that I can do it - my WML is very far from ideal) and I hope that somebody will try to draw it.
ghyr-easeus

Post by ghyr-easeus »

Alpha-version of unit tree:

Fire Mage - Firelord - Fire Avatar: All properties are similar to Red Mage - Archmage - Great Mage

Water Mage [L2]:
HP 38 + 6/level, but adds only +3HP/level after reaching AMLAs.
MP 5
XP 80*1.75/level,
staff 6-2 melee (impact) (+1 damage per unit level. AMLA doesn't add damage or attack bonus)
water burst 7-4 ranged (frost, magical) (+2 damage per unit level. Adds 1 additional attack on Level 4. AMLA doesn't add damage or attack bonus).
frozen shard 9-3 ranged (frost, magical, stuns*) (+1 damage per unit level and 1 additional attack on Level 4).
Higher defense values at Swamp, Shallow Water. Can submerge on Level 4.

*Stunner trait making your enemy loss one turn, but haves only 3%+1%/unit level(stacks with AMLA) chance of activating.

Stone Mage [L2]:
HP: 46 + 8/level, but adds only +6HP each AMLA.
MP 5 ("Fast" trait is not available for this unit)
XP 80*1.75/lvl
cripple 8-2 melee (impact, slows) (+1 dmg/level, 1 additional attack on Level 4. AMLA doesn't add damage or additional attacks).
stone throw 12-2 ranged (impact, magical) (+2 dmg/level, +1 attack on level 4. AMLA doesn't add damage or additional attacks)
Higher defense values at Swamp, Hills, Mountains. Lower movement costs at Swamp, Hills, Mountains.

Air Mage [L2]:
HP: 40 + 3/level. Doesn't receive health bonuses after AMLAs.
MP 7 ("Fast" trait is not available for this unit)
XP 80*1.75/lvl
staff 6-2 melee (+1 dmg/level)
lightning bolt 8-4 ranged (fire, magical) (+3 dmg/level, 1 additional attack on lvl.4.)
Can teleport. Lower movement costs at all terrain types. Can fly at level 4.

So, what do you think about this unit planning?
ghyr-easeus

Post by ghyr-easeus »

MetalKing wrote: I did think about other (Types of) Mages. The Elements are the Forces that exist and are avialable for Application. I think it's not rational if all Mage specialize on just one of them though if he do he should get better with the Element he did study/train the most. Mages like White Mage, Shadow Mage (grey?) and Dark Mage (Black?) refers anyway to their Alignment. I did translate Red Mage always automatically into Fire-Mage. Also the Lightnings of Delfador matches to Fire.

Assumming that a Mage can decide what Techniques he learns or develop it's reasonable if a Mage specialize on Techniques that focus on Stone. Shall Stone Mage do other Things which concern Stones e.g. making them hard like Stones etc.?
Nice idea, I'll think about it.
Thank you!
AmDDRed

Post by AmDDRed »

ghyr-easeus wrote:
Rozard wrote:What! no Dark mages? why?!
They represent the undead faction, so I don't see any need of putting it into "holy" factions (Loyalists, Rebels).
Well, about elementalists - in wesnoth there only mistic and fire/cold power. So all mages cast mystic attack and effect depends on theis side - if they're good, then fire, if bad then coldness.

I'd like to see the grey mages, "twilight" mages, who are neutral, and upgrade into or the curser, or the attacker with just mistic or mistic with cold effect.
I guess, they'd be good for some bandits, peasants etc.

And, maybe, the elementalist - the guy who would be able to call for the element out of terrain, depends on the terrain where is he - sand beast, water or smth.

PS: also was thinking about some mage guy, who would develop himself not in the mage with little attacking skills but into fighter with mage skills. Like witcher or inquisitor ))
ghyr-easeus

Post by ghyr-easeus »

UPD 23.09.11:

*Added new branch: Shadow Magi.
They have more movement points than standard Magi. They also have shadow attacks.
Special abilities:
-Shadow Merging: Units with this ability receives 1 additional movement point at night. Also, all defense values are increased by 10%. Active only at night.
-Disembodiment: Units with this ability can teleport to every friendly village. Active only at night.

*Stone Magi have received 1 new ability: Persistence of Stone.
When unit's health falls below 1, he becomes petrified for 3 turns, whereupon it healed for 20 HP. This ability may be used only once.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I remembered doing the art and animations for a storm mage..(Cloned it from the mage line) must lying around in my art thread.
And also I know an add-on campaign has the earth-like mage graphics. I believe the campaign had something to do with Woses.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

ghyr-easeus wrote:UPD 23.09.11:

They have more movement points than standard Magi. They also have shadow attacks.
Special abilities:
-Shadow Merging: Units with this ability receives 1 additional movement point at night. Also, all defense values are increased by 10%. Active only at night.
-Disembodiment: Units with this ability can teleport to every friendly village. Active only at night.
This I like! Your in right track!
Shadow/Dark mages are much different from necromancers!

Theres one "Dark" mage that arent used yet, a Sinful Demonic element users, buuuutt...
Dont make them (it fould make my faction not so unique)!
~We go with night to harvest of life~
Creator and maintenancer of A.N.O cult faction,here.
(balacing state)
A.N.O operate in Beyond Southern Hells era,here
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

if you are still looking for fire mage names, maybe having an upgrade from the avatar called 'servant of the eternal flame' or something. or maybe that sounds a little freaky.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I would go with some unique names. Like try using foreign or Latin names. For instance, Fire Mage is Ignis Magus in Latin. It would sound cool like Ignis Mage also. Shadow Mage is Umbra Magus, etc etc etc.
powershot

Post by powershot »

such as: cryomancer,pyromancer,lumenancer,tenebramancer,geomancer,aeromancer,hydromancer,dynamancer.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

powershot wrote:such as: cryomancer,pyromancer,lumenancer,tenebramancer,geomancer,aeromancer,hydromancer,dynamancer.
Romancer?

:mrgreen:

Don't just stick with [$randomlatinorgreekroot]mancer, though. It gets kind of repetitious, and more unique names will help the player to distinguish the units.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I would go with some unique names. Like try using foreign or Latin names. For instance, Fire Mage is Ignis Magus in Latin. It would sound cool like Ignis Mage also. Shadow Mage is Umbra Magus, etc etc etc.
Im not sure but dosent magus also mean cult master/head?
~We go with night to harvest of life~
Creator and maintenancer of A.N.O cult faction,here.
(balacing state)
A.N.O operate in Beyond Southern Hells era,here
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

If you wanted your 'Storm Mage' to be more of a mixed fighter, you could be interested in the style of the Sidhe Thunderblade line from the Imperial Era, or even the Tempest line if you want a more 'magical' feel. They don't have special abilities, but they're good solid units.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Rozard wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I would go with some unique names. Like try using foreign or Latin names. For instance, Fire Mage is Ignis Magus in Latin. It would sound cool like Ignis Mage also. Shadow Mage is Umbra Magus, etc etc etc.
Im not sure but dosent magus also mean cult master/head?
In the original meaning the magoi were a caste of zoroastrian astrologist.priests, but it was later also used for wizards, especially (and for women quite exclusively) soothsayers.
And it has to be the genetive or the adjective in CNG-congruence, e.g. Magus Umbrae or M. Umbrosus!
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
fedwinmorr

Post by fedwinmorr »

ghyr-easeus wrote:UPD 23.09.11:

Special abilities:
Hi, I'd just like to point out that the class "Shadow Mage" is already in use in the mainline campaign Liberty. Though only for a few scenarios and for very minor characters, so it's easy to miss.

I like your ideas for new units though.