Civil War mode

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Breeblebox

Civil War mode

Post by Breeblebox »

How about this as a game mode/ option;

*If your leader dies but you have one or more second/ third/ fourth level units, the unit with the highest level becomes your leader. He/ She gets the crown, and the ability to recruit.

*In the case of having two or more units at the same level vying for the leadership, the unit with the most xp gets promoted.

*In the case of having two or more units at second level or above, with the same amount of xp, the promoted unit is arbitrarily chosen at random.

Just an idea, what do you think?
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

i don't know..
probally make game longer than it should be..

but all ideas should be clearly thought.. and or tested...
its worth a shot..
ryn

Re: Civil War mode

Post by ryn »

the idea is good, but perhaps instead of choosing a unit at random the choice should be left to the player? either this or (when the previous leader still lives) the player can chose the next unit to lead. If he dies without this choice, then use your idea for selection. If he actually selects a unit then it becomes leader. Victory is achieved by killing all enemy units (even level 1 units can become leaders) that aren't somehow invisible. OR invisible units become visible once all other potential leaders are dead
2B |! 2B = 3F
Dacyn

Re: Civil War mode

Post by Dacyn »

Breeblebox wrote:*In the case of having two or more units at second level or above, with the same amount of xp, the promoted unit is arbitrarily chosen at random.
What about whichever one costs more?
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

What is the purpose of leader except for recruiting units?

If none, then: When leader is dead, the first unit that comes to keep should become a new leader.
Circon

Post by Circon »

*dislikes idea*
Breaks KISS, breaks with common sense, little control for players, ...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Viliam wrote:What is the purpose of leader except for recruiting units?
the leader represents the person playing. when he dies, your in-game form dies. wesnoth is not played like you are a "god", or however AoE and other such work, where you control the whole civilization and you have no material essence that can be defeated. you ARE your leader.

hope that made sense...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

You couldnt have explained that better Turin !!!

You are your leader ^^ !!!

Cool sentence...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

I guess the crux of the matter is that I was just suggesting an alternative game mode that may or may not be enjoyed by various Wesnoth players. Having the option certainly doesn't detract from the enjoyment of those players who dislike the mode.

If it wasn't too difficult an option to code and assess the stability of, then perhaps we could try it out.

As for the Leader being Oneself, I totally agree (We're not AI after all), but the mode facilitates the ability to regain recruiting ability. Think of it kind of like swapping your pawn for a queen in those last desperate (or not so) moments of an enthralling chess game.

How many times have you conceded defeat 10 or so turns before the game is over, but continued playing out of respect and/ or obligation to your gracious opponent for the sole purpose of their enjoyment and satisfaction.

Long live the cliffhanger ending!
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Breeblebox wrote:Having the option certainly doesn't detract from the enjoyment of those players who dislike the mode.
That is not exactly true, and there have been discussions on it already. However, we may be able to come up with a different idea that everybody (or almost everybody) likes; that is the point of this forum....
Sprucegum

Post by Sprucegum »

What if when a leader was killed The Crown was dropped and the way to win would be to take the enemie's crown to your throne before it is recovered?
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

All of the above-mentioned ideas are implementable in WML, except the one about cost (and checking unit level would also be inconvenient). The most recently mentioned suggestion would certainly be possible; something similar is done in Wesbowl. I also think that one would be less controversial than the other suggestions, but, that's just my opinion. :)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Sprucegum wrote:What if when a leader was killed The Crown was dropped and the way to win would be to take the enemie's crown to your throne before it is recovered?
This is an interesting idea...