labels in multiplayer

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tigrezno

labels in multiplayer

Post by tigrezno »

I've been watching a multiplayer game where people put rather big enormous characters in the screen, hiding units and so on. This could be limited in next versions.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I say put a 'labels allowed' option in the game creation screen.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Onne

Post by Onne »

What about making two kinds of labels: labels visible to allies only and labels visible to all?
In preferences you should have the option to disable viewing either of those.
This could help when developing tactics with a number of people...
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Onne wrote:What about making two kinds of labels: labels visible to allies only and labels visible to all?
In preferences you should have the option to disable viewing either of those.
This could help when developing tactics with a number of people...
Good idea. Then, I can go around marking strategic locations instead of nonsense!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

I had a horrible game where my opponent was spamming labels all over my army. Very frustrating. Maybe you should only be able to label tiles you currently have a unit on?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Or perhaps this could be solved simply by not playing with anti-social people?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

Dave wrote:Or perhaps this could be solved simply by not playing with anti-social people?

David
sounds like the best solution to me, although I do like Onne's suggestion.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

How about selecting whose labels I want to see? A new dialog, one checkbox for player.

Such dialog could also be used for other player-to-player settings, for example, to whom should my messages be sent.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Let's just say that I personally would see having to code and maintain an entire custom dialog box to solve this 'problem' as "feature creep".

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

Yes, this is kind of an irrelevant issue, considering you could just REVERT THE LABELS YOURSELF...
Wesnoth: It's poetry in motion...
Circon

Post by Circon »

LibrarianBrent wrote:Yes, this is kind of an irrelevant issue
Agreed.
LibrarianBrent wrote:considering you could just REVERT THE LABELS YOURSELF...
Yes. In less time than it takes to write them. (I can delete any label in 3 keystrokes.)

Let's ignore this and get used to the : /ban command.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote:\Yes. In less time than it takes to write them. (I can delete any label in 3 keystrokes.)
Well, to be fair, anyone who is using this feature truly obnoxiously probably has a modified client. For instance, a version of the game that puts a label on every hex wouldn't be so difficult to come up with. But that's why we suggest..
Circon wrote:Let's ignore this and get used to the : /ban command.
Precisely ;)

David
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

What is /ban, and how is it used?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

LibrarianBrent wrote:What is /ban, and how is it used?
if you are hosting the game, type ':/ban {username}' and that username will be banned.

if you are not host, ask that host bans player. or just don't play with that person any more.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Here is a simple solution: How about adding a "clear" button to the label dialoge so you doin't have to hold down backspace and then hit ok to clear a label. Clear would just do it all in one fell swoop, and without feature creep.