BitTorrent

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

catpys

BitTorrent

Post by catpys »

Anyone have any thoughts on making the downloads available via BitTorrent in addition to direct download? Might save some bandwidth and help out those with slow connections. By the way a big thanx to those that make binaries available, it's a huge benefit to those of us who have no business going near a compiler (as my highschool C instructor described me). ;)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

It's a nice idea, but I don't think we have enough downloaders to make Bittorrent practical.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
dms

Post by dms »

*BUMP*

Do we now?

Sourceforge reports 4059[*] downloads of wesnoth-windows-0.8.7.exe since 30/10/2004. Thats about one every 3.2 minutes. (9days / 4059)

[*] obviously this number is likely to increase by the time you read this.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I'll quote myself from a discussion about BitTorrent from back then:
Gafgarion wrote:The main thing going against Wesnoth here is that BfW is distributed in many formats: Source code, Windows binary, Mac binary, Linux binaries, etc.
Each type of distribution would cut the number of downloaders downloading the same file, thus making everything slower. Now, what happens say a week after a dev release when downloads have slowed? If you only have 5 or 6 people downloading at the same time, it's going to be very slow.

Blah blah blah, etc etc etc. All I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure if BitTorrent would be an approptiate method for distributing Wesnoth due to the many different types of downloads and the flux of download activity.
This still applies today. The only way BitTorrent would work is if we seperated the images, music, scenario data, etc from the binaries. That way people could download a torrent containing all of that and then download a small binary file to run it.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
dms

Post by dms »

Yes, that is why I gave hits for a single package (windows) rather than the total. I take it there just aren't enough downloads?

Separating the data would certainly help, since it would concentrate downloads on the data package. But it's not the only way - any single package that becomes popular enough would be worth torrenting.
Doros

Post by Doros »

Like Gafgarion said, there is too much flux in the amount of daily downloads. Yes, there are a lot of downloads right now, but 0.8.7 was just released, so all of us are updating. Give it a few weeks and the downloads will be down signifigantly.
miyo

Post by miyo »

dms wrote:Sourceforge reports 4059[*] downloads of wesnoth-windows-0.8.7.exe since 30/10/2004. Thats about one every 3.2 minutes. (9days / 4059)
SourceForge is broken. Even if people can't download it reports one download. So I think quite many of this downloads are actually retries due mirrors being out of sync.

- Miyo
dms

Post by dms »

Ahh I see. :oops:

It's kind of ironic that I didn't think of that: I resurrected this thread because sourceforge is broken, causing people to post that they can't download.

P.S. Do we have a ballpark figure for how many downloads there have been of 0.8.7.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

I can't get it from sourceforge. It just keeps retrying, but nothing.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Arthelorn

Post by Arthelorn »

Perhapds the alternative download location should be posted,

[url]http:\\files.wesnoth.org[/url]
This always has the downloads, but it is supposed to be the alternative.