Wesnoth will be included in TheOpenCD 2.0

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Post by miyo »

eugenelim wrote:Is there a license for the web page and the wiki? I.e. is it closed, or can it be under Creative Commons or other license?
At the moment there is not. It is protected by copyright laws. We might need to fix this.

- Miyo
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

This is why I said "I am not a dev, so this is not an official answer." I didn't think the devs would have a problem with this, and also thought that it was covered by GPL, but I wasn't sure.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

joshbosh321 wrote:This is why I said "I am not a dev, so this is not an official answer." I didn't think the devs would have a problem with this, and also thought that it was covered by GPL, but I wasn't sure.
Best to leave it to the people who are certain to answer so not to cause any confusion. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

eugenelim wrote:
joshbosh321 wrote:This is why I said "I am not a dev, so this is not an official answer." I didn't think the devs would have a problem with this, and also thought that it was covered by GPL, but I wasn't sure.
Best to leave it to the people who are certain to answer so not to cause any confusion. :)
Miyo and Dave are probably the only ones who could answer it, then.

( Its not like there's a booklet "here is our policy on everything and anything wesnoth related" we get when we become devs! :P )
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Well, screenshots of Wesnoth are works derived from GPL material (i.e. the images in the game). Therefore screenshots of Wesnoth are by definition GPL. [1]

Other content external to the game is not so covered, but I think we go a long way just by being reasonable, rather than having to spell out every letter of the law. Thanks to Henrik for asking: basically he can use the content he wants on the OpenCD.

David

[1] They would not have to be GPLed if you were using the Wesnoth engine with graphics you held the copyright on. But if you are using Wesnoth graphics that are GPLed, then it'd have to be GPLed, since it's a derived work.

Although if you made your own screenshot of the game, I think fair use laws would allow you to use it in a non-GPL manner. E.g. one can take a screenshot of Warcraft and use it in a publication they sell without following any licenses of Blizzards; you can do the same with Wesnoth.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

Thanks for the clarifications. FOSS projects are generally quite friendly with this sort of ting, but it's always good manners to ask first. It is also good to have an active confirmation because when we distribute the CD to schools or through the cover of a PC magazine, etc. we often get asked specifically if we have an appropriate license from each copyright holder for the software and other content.

Btw: The screenshots a nice, but the really cool thing to put on the CD would be an MPEG grabbed of a game replay :) Anyone have experience with doing that?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

HenrikOxUK wrote:Thanks for the clarifications. FOSS projects are generally quite friendly with this sort of ting, but it's always good manners to ask first. It is also good to have an active confirmation because when we distribute the CD to schools or through the cover of a PC magazine, etc. we often get asked specifically if we have an appropriate license from each copyright holder for the software and other content.

Btw: The screenshots a nice, but the really cool thing to put on the CD would be an MPEG grabbed of a game replay :) Anyone have experience with doing that?
On a Mac, I think you can use Snapz Pro X.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

HenrikOxUK wrote:Thanks for the clarifications. FOSS projects are generally quite friendly with this sort of ting, but it's always good manners to ask first. It is also good to have an active confirmation because when we distribute the CD to schools or through the cover of a PC magazine, etc. we often get asked specifically if we have an appropriate license from each copyright holder for the software and other content.

On a Mac, I think you can use Snapz Pro X ( http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/snapzprox/ ).
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
scott

Post by scott »

Screen Movie Recorder is free but it may not be as polished (uncompressed quicktime)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

Released!
( with Wesnoth 0.8.8 )
Cironir

Post by Cironir »

And 0.8.8 is an excellent version, too. I was afraid they'd go with a 0.7er release. :)
jayhags

Post by jayhags »

I just started playing Wesnoth thanks to the OpenCD 2.0. Great Game!