The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: The Altaz Mariners - MP Campaign, out now!

Post by Dixie »

I played with the default and it worked. I don'T even have Bob's RPG on my system. And what do you mean by "creating your character? You don't get to create a character (AFAIK)...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Bob's RPG Era lets you create your character at the beginning, but that era is not supposed to be used with this campaign. It will break it, as Bjartmarr discovered. Just use Default.
klein_atuin

Post by klein_atuin »

first: nice campaign, thanx a lot.

played through, using quite a few saves in fact for without it's pretty hard since there's little hint about playable orders of the island scenarios. but you're working on that, so just fine ;)

two serious problems i found.

1. i played dahazi beach early, then traded spices several times, used the statue there - but when i returned the 6th time or so it had returned to its initial state. anything else worked on correctly, so it shouldn't have been a wrong save or such. tried it several times then but it remained "unplayed".

2. i didn't find any fitting benefit from using the biggest ships. theres never any advantage in having their strong weapons, and the larger cargo hold is of little relevance.
in contrary, the design of the small ship-to-ship-battle-map gives large ships a serious disadvantage. you definitely need more units to defend them since the opponent ship lays closer, so enemies enter faster. don't see any reason, why on open ocean the distance between two ships in battle should depend on their size. guess a constant distance would do better.

by the way: it was a bit boring being attacked by the same ships so frequently. how about sinking them (kill captain) or even take along and sell after boarding?

greetz
klein-atuin
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Hey,

I've noticed smth that looks like a bug, it's about the first encounter with Hilldon. The dialogue triggers once you come close to him, into the cave-looking area. The problem is if he decides to walk out, it becomes a reload situation (if you stand close enough and injured, he will). He attacks you w/o saying a word, but you can't harm him...

btw regarding my earlier post about incorrect portraits of brothers on the world map, it was b/c of using the default save mechanism...
Gregorius

Post by Gregorius »

This is not because of the save, just a little bad programed ;)
*EDIT*
The thief can see you and come out before you come into the area where you trigger the event.
I supose making him immobile like the Revenants in the temple, should prevent that...
Another thing I found was that the shops at Fort bastille never opened to me, through I didn't really care about their wares...
Last edited by Gregorius on July 17th, 2011, 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Gregorius wrote:This is not because of the save, just a little bad programed ;)
then why the portraits are proper now, once I use only MP load along with manual saves? :wink:
Bjartmarr

Post by Bjartmarr »

I believe I found a bug.
Spoiler:
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Hey, I have the same thing as someone above - after beating the Dahazi beach, we headed to Elixion, and after winning there decided to go back to Dahazi, but found the map is reset :-( The good thing is we can earn some xp egain

1.8.6, proper reloads, save is attached (right after beating the Elixion)
Attachments
World_Map_Turn_226.gz
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

The campaign seems excellent, but the load bug is really ruining the play. I played on the Elixion island and only on turn 20 realized it is turn-restricted. I wanted to load from the scenario start and couldnt: the save put me in the campaign start. Things that seems strange to me:
Division of the pirates into two teams is annoying when only one person is playing -> I have problems positioning my units and clicking the End Turn button way more often then normally becomes tiring over time.
In the first scenario, when Im escaping the Altaz, often I have to wait for several turns to heal my wounded units. Some way to avoid this?
In the hideout there are two units which come under my rule, but are they supposed to stay with me? They were not deployed in the Farmville scenario (I couldnt even recruit them from keep /but I could recruit farmers -> is that intended?/) which made it impossible for me to return the gold to the ship. The same thing with the ogres from Altaz.

Anyways, its a shame this campaign got only 2600 downloads. Ever contemplated about creating link-topic in Scenario&Campaign development section? Or some other kind of advertising. It has to be somewhat dissapointing for you that project in which tons of work has been put into has fewer downloads than uninteresting campaigns made in one week. It would be dissapointing for me.

When do you expect to release this in 1.9?
Yeah, and any particular reason to leave the demo version out there in the addon server?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Neuromancer wrote:In the hideout there are two units which come under my rule, but are they supposed to stay with me? They were not deployed in the Farmville scenario (I couldnt even recruit them from keep /but I could recruit farmers -> is that intended?/) which made it impossible for me to return the gold to the ship. The same thing with the ogres from Altaz.
It sounds like you ran into the save/load bug discussed earlier in this thread.
Neuromancer wrote:Anyways, its a shame this campaign got only 2600 downloads. Ever contemplated about creating link-topic in Scenario&Campaign development section? Or some other kind of advertising. It has to be somewhat dissapointing for you that project in which tons of work has been put into has fewer downloads than uninteresting campaigns made in one week. It would be dissapointing for me.
Well, yeah. Tell your friends about it.
Neuromancer wrote:When do you expect to release this in 1.9?
When it's stable and there are enough players to help us test it. Having said that, I believe FAAB has made a version which works on 1.9.
Neuromancer wrote:Yeah, and any particular reason to leave the demo version out there in the addon server?
Nope. Thanks for remining me, I will take it down as I'm pretty sure people have been downloading that instead of the main version.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded a new version of the campaign: 1.1. There's no new bits, but I think I've fixed all the bugs reported so far.
  • - Fixed a bug which meant Alderot's dialogue could reset the Dahazi scenario
    - Added some more (currently unused) custom units
    - Fixed the bug that allowed Hilldon to move before the dialogue was triggered in the Hideout
    - Fixed the Chillblood bug
    - Fixed the Galleon mask so it's now possible to disembark from the deck
    - Elixion: increased turn limit to 30, put turns in objectives and added a defeat event for Athena
    - The trading tips for Thur Gar now show in the log
    - Removed the stash entries from the logs
    - Added a warning about the reload bug to the intro and the in-game help
I've also removed the old demo from the add-ons list.
My current projects:
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Could someone pls tell, how many major scenarios/quests in the campaign? I mean, I've passed all 1st wave quests and bought the ship, how far have I advanced?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Purchasing the dhow from Grobin allows you to sail beyond the first set of islands. It sounds like you have just started 'Act II' - so you're probably just under halfway through. Then again, many of the scenarios and quests are optional.
My current projects:
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

I am playing this 1.8.5, hotseat, and I was really impressed by the opening, but I have some problems:

when ever I finish a scenario or leave an island, I my xp returns to zero :?

the portraits disappeared for the brothers, I think it's gotta do with why my xp disappeared.

I can't recall any of my old troops, loyal followers, slaves I bought, nobody. it makes the action scenarios impossible without debug.

when I do something like rescue the saurians in dhazi beach, I returned, expecting a change, but instead, the soldiers were there again.

I am really impressed by the amount of detail added into this game, and but if you could fix the bugs, that would make it better please. :)

ps: I downloaded it in august, has there been much change in the log since then?

edit it appears from the past pages that on hotseat all the problems have already been listed. so, I guess it works fine on online :)
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Boldek, I believe it should work correctly in hotseat mode as well. But you must be sure to follow all the rules for proper saving/loading of MP games.