Wesnoth will be included in TheOpenCD 2.0

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dms

Wesnoth will be included in TheOpenCD 2.0

Post by dms »

TheOpenCD have put up their final list for 2.0 at http://www.theopencd.net/wiki/index.php ... Candidates and Wesnoth is included 8)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Cool!

Thanks for the info!
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Star Gazer

Which one?

Post by Star Gazer »

What version will be used - will it be the last stable release 0.8, or will it be a newer 'test' version?
eugenelim

Re: Which one?

Post by eugenelim »

Star Gazer wrote:What version will be used - will it be the last stable release 0.8, or will it be a newer 'test' version?
Read the article, Star Gazer. The version used will be determined at a later date.
Star Gazer

Re: Which one?

Post by Star Gazer »

eugenelim wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:What version will be used - will it be the last stable release 0.8, or will it be a newer 'test' version?
Read the article, Star Gazer. The version used will be determined at a later date.
I did, couldn't see any hint of the cut-off point in time... that's why I asked...

It's just that so much has been improved in the last month or so, it would be a shame for that not to be in the version included.
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

Hi,

I'm Henrik, project lead at TheOpenCD. I've been lurking here for a while :)

Yes, Wesnoth will be included on v2.0 of TheOpenCD scheduled for release in December. I've followed the game development for a few months now and I'm very impressed with the the progress and the community.

So, for those who don't know the project, TheOpenCD is a compilation of the very best user-level FOSS available on the Windows platform. The program selection is slowly growing as more desktop applications mature, but the current number is still just 25. Because there are a fair number of Free games around, we are esp. strict about the criteria for these, and will probably contine to cap the number at about 4-6.

In the next few weeks we'll be working on the text and other content to be included with the CD browser. This time the installer will also be multi-lingual. Please stop by our forum [1] and/or wiki [2] to help with text authoring, screenshot submissions or other suggestions that will help portray Wesnoth in a favorable light. We would also appreciate any help anyone could provide with translations (esp. after the text freeze on Nov 10th). Thanks.

- Henrik

[1] http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/
[2] http://www.theopencd.net/wiki/
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

btw: The program selection for v2.0 has now been frozen, but the exact version of each app will be evaluated closer to the frelease date, and we are happy to take advice from you guys on that.
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

One question: Could we have permission to use some of the screenshots from your web site for our installer?

We might also want to add some documentation from your wiki directly to the CD at some point, if that's OK.
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

I'm not a dev, so this isn't an official answer, but I think that GPL states that you can use anything in this website for non-commercial purposes.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

HenrikOxUK wrote:One question: Could we have permission to use some of the screenshots from your web site for our installer?

We might also want to add some documentation from your wiki directly to the CD at some point, if that's OK.
As long as usage is conforming with the GPL, that is fine.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

joshbosh321 wrote:I'm not a dev, so this isn't an official answer, but I think that GPL states that you can use anything in this website for non-commercial purposes.
What has GPL to do with non-commercial purposes?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... AllowMoney
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... ownloadFee
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... tyToPublic

- Miyo
HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

OK, thanks that sounds good. Our install system is itself GPL.

And miyo is right, non-commercial is a different matter. CD distribution companies, small computer shops, etc. do sell copies of the CD, but that's not an issue. I don't think there are any open source licenses that lets you restrict commericial use (though you can do it with a trademark).
miyo

Post by miyo »

joshbosh321 wrote:I'm not a dev, so this isn't an official answer, but I think that GPL states that you can use anything in this website for non-commercial purposes.
Btw, where on the web-page it is said that all content of the web-page is GPL? Game being GPL does not make the content on Web-page GPL.

- Miyo
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

miyo wrote: Btw, where on the web-page it is said that all content of the web-page is GPL? Game being GPL does not make the content on Web-page GPL.

- Miyo
Is there a license for the web page and the wiki? I.e. is it closed, or can it be under Creative Commons or other license?
miyo

Post by miyo »

HenrikOxUK wrote:One question: Could we have permission to use some of the screenshots from your web site for our installer?
Granted.
HenrikOxUK wrote:We might also want to add some documentation from your wiki directly to the CD at some point, if that's OK.
Granted.

- Miyo