Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Eleazar »

thespaceinvader wrote:Currently reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Good, but only a short way in so not really sure yet where it's going.
Diamond age is possibly the densest concentration of sci-fi i've ever read. In other words, if you don't have a strong background in science fiction you probably will be lost most of the time, because he just assumes the reader is familiar enough with many of the more esoteric sci-fi concepts that they can connect the dots with a minimum of explanation or description of rather weird stuff. -- Or else they are willing to go along for a really trippy ride.

As to where the story is going-- the plot is definitely not cookie-cutter. It was interesting, and weird, maybe a bit unfocused, and i'm not sure that i can say i enjoyed it. Your milage may vary.

But i would definitely not recommend it to anyone who is not a hard-core sci-fi fan.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Sounds like a recommendation to me. I'm enjoying it, I'm just not sure where it's going plot-wise yet. We keep seeing new characters who seem as-yet unconnected with the old ones. That being said, I'm only getting a few pages in at a time.

EDIT: had a free day, and had finished my jobs, so finished the Diamond Age. Very good, albeit I found the ending a little unfulfilled, particularly in the light of the fact that the back cover of the book promised
Spoiler:
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Started reading Ender's Game, was pretty hyped up for me :lol2:

Read the first few chapters, seems very good already.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Hulavuta wrote:Started reading Ender's Game, was pretty hyped up for me :lol2:
Finally, or once again? :wink:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

There's another one I need to read.

Currently reading Damp Squid - the English language laid bare, by Jeremy Butterfield. Fascinating.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian. A very good novel about ships and navies in the early 1800s.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian. A very good novel about ships and navies in the early 1800s.
Wow, really? :D I just finished that series a couple months back. Excellent writer, O'Brian. I've long been a nautical enthusiast, and personally I consider his books to be the best nautical stories I've read to date, even surpassing the Hornblower series.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Dunno wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:Started reading Ender's Game, was pretty hyped up for me :lol2:
Finally, or once again? :wink:
Finally. Haha.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Einherjar

Post by Einherjar »

I'm reading two books simultaneously, and I'm almost done with both: Animal Liberation by Peter Singer and Free Software, Free Society by Richard M. Stallman. I can recommend both of them warmly. Free Software, Free Society especially for anyone interested in free software (such as Wesnoth), and Animal Liberation I would recommend to every person alive.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i got this book from a friend and i tried to read it. it was not up to date anymore and many things have changed in the industry. i couldnt help but not like what he wrote: my studies touch the subject of production of food and i can say that i have a good view on how things are produced and why like that and not differently, and he just used the same information in a very dramatic and misleading way, using very special examples to generate a picture that is absolutely not true in my own country. but i can understand that now you feel like you want every living person to read the book. i cannot recommend it, unfortunately.

right now im fascinated by book 2 of the fire and ice saga that obviously everybody starts sooner or later when he stays in this thread for longer. its very cool :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Just read Ben Elton's Past Mortem today. Let me start by saying, this book is not for the faint of heart nor the prudish of temperament, featuring as it does several uncompromisingly graphic descriptions of sex and violence. It is also not for anyone expecting Elton's usual level of comedy, which is not present. That's not to say it doesn't have its moments, but the usual aisle-rolling does not take place.

What it is, is a powerful whodunnit, and a powerful examination of some deeply disturbing themes, namely childhood bullying, and the impacts it can have on adulthood, as well as dipping into domestic violence. It's very well written, with well described characters, and a strong plot. It is, however, unfortunately predictable - I guessed who the murderer was the first time that character was mentioned by name - through no other means than this character being particularly well-described for someone so currently-unconnected to the plot. But that doesn't cast a shadow. Some of the best whodunnits leave the detectives in ignorance whilst the reader already knows the answer.

Overall, well worth reading.

I'm also reading The World's Greatest Idea, the fifty ideas that have changed humanity by John Farndon. This, unfortunately, just hasn't grabbed me yet. Partly, I've been reading it whilst tired or otherwise paying attention to other things. Partly, I just don't get on with the writing style. Partly, I don't particularly like his glowing testimony about things with which I have fundamental disagreements, particularly talking about the scientific evidence for acupuncture in his chapter on qi/chi, which is far, far slimmer than he implies. I dunno, maybe there's something more in it, so I shall persevere. But I'm dubious at present.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Finished Ender's Game.

:shock: <-------------Me
~Sierra
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Just finished Alien Intrusion by Gary Bates. An interesting perspective on the UFO phenomenon.

Oh yeah, and reading the Harry Potter books for the first time (after watching the movies for the first time over the past month, I figured "why not?").

And for good measure, read through books 1-9 of the Ranger's Apprentice books. I got them all for free from an acquaintance. Yeah, me likes to read. :lol2:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Just finished Daemon and Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez, and damn. Two of the best books I've read in a long, long time. Well-written stories (though the romantic subplot felt a little tacked-on), but perhaps more importantly, deeply, deeply disturbing in light of current events.

Read these books.