Campaign art - Sceptre of Fire

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Campaign art - Sceptre of Fire

Post by homunculus »

What is this art style called, 'naturalism' maybe?
Painting does create a certain feeling to it that is slightly different from photography, and experimenting with different styles is a good thing, and whatever, but I just hope that you will not stick with this kind of style (a strictly personal preference).
Drawing style feels much more cozy.

And, is the face of Alanin supposed to look like he has been sitting on a couch a lot?
The kind of gentle attitude he has in the campaign, it may be just me, but I think such attitude usually comes with a much less soft life.
I don't know, maybe this kind of face would suit the character in the minds of most people, but maybe I am underestimating 'most people' right now.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
boru

Post by boru »

I think his right shoulder should be further back. Normally, a man would turn from the waist to face toward the person to which he is speaking, but in full armor, I think he'd probably find it easier to just turn his head. Hope that is helpful.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Baglur looks perfect. Thursagan looks perfect. The marshal looks perfect. Alanin seems to be heading the same way.

I wish I had something constructive to say. :augh:
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Considering SoF takes place 24-39 years after TRoW, shouldn't the (human) portraits look more like the new High Middle Ages portraits used for TRoW? Granted, it actually is intended to be semi-legendary so as in our world, later centuries might tell the story as if it happened at this time.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:shock: That really is a quite incredible step up; I have concerns about that matching the rest of the set, but given your track record, I'm sure you'll address that by the time this is finished.

Great stuff.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Considering SoF takes place 24-39 years after TRoW, shouldn't the (human) portraits look more like the new High Middle Ages portraits used for TRoW? Granted, it actually is intended to be semi-legendary so as in our world, later centuries might tell the story as if it happened at this time.
I agree even though I hate considering smashing Lordbob's awesome work. Frankish/byzantine would be more appropriate if we look at it this way.

One day, we'll start to ask several versions of each loyalist generic portrait - early, late -, you'll see :lol2: .
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

You know, that would be quite interesting to do, if somewhat time-consuming. There's already a good half of the current loy portraits that I'm tempted to redo anyway :roll:

I'll get back to Alanin later. Your point about the timeset is valid, so I'll likely finish this portrait if only for the sake of the exercise, keep it as a spare and start over with an armour design that befits the loyalists of old.

In the meantime, here's a sketch of king Haldric II, such as he appears in the epilogue. He is supposedly 15 years older than his Legend of Wesmere portrait, which we will also use in the first scenario of SoF. Note the deliberate lack of armour, since the epilogue is a dialog-only scenario that takes place inside the royal palace.

Likewise, I'm considering a standalone portrait of Alanin for the epilogue: I doubt he'd address his king on horseback. The only thing we have to settle is, did he change beforehand, or does he come before Haldric in his stinkin' travel rags ? I'd say he changed : the king, who has waited 15 years, can wait a few more days. So he'd be dressed in the colors of the royal guard, sporting a light ceremonial armour, if any.
Attachments
SoF-haldricII_old.jpg
SoF-haldricII_old.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Likewise, I'm considering a standalone portrait of Alanin for the epilogue: I doubt he'd address his king on horseback. The only thing we have to settle is, did he change beforehand, or does he come before Haldric in his stinkin' travel rags ? I'd say he changed : the king, who has waited 15 years, can wait a few more days. So he'd be dressed in the colors of the royal guard, sporting a light ceremonial armour, if any.
It'll require (I think) a little tweak to the epilogue, but yes, we can do that.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

You know, that would be quite interesting to do, if somewhat time-consuming. There's already a good half of the current loy portraits that I'm tempted to redo anyway
:shock: I was kidding but should you start such a project, that would be more than awesome! That would be... Magnifesome!
I would gladly make research for various images to help you (frankish, late roman, byzantine, you name it!). :D

Back to your current work. Very nice Haldric! I just have a suggestion (detail obsessed, I know): How about giving him a pin shaped in a "pre-Sceptre of Fire" royal symbol? That could be an interesting subtle way to show the evolution of Wesnoth and the great importance of the acquisition of the Sceptre of Fire (and it could be of great use in early wesnothi portraits if you work about it). Maybe the symbol of the family before the foundation of Wesnoth (lion, eagle, flower, etc), or a more elaborate symbol, or colored ropes like the one Kitty used (making it an old, but corrupted under Asheviere, wesnothi symbol of power). There's a lot of possibility :hmm:
It could also be useful for Alanin. And speaking of Alanin, I support the ceremonial attire.
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Guidrion: interesting as it may be, an overhaul of the loyalists is a huge amount of work, and not something Wesnoth is in urgent need of. I'll do it, eventually, though likely not as a full-time project but randomly, one unit at a time. When this happens, of course, your dedicated help will be more than welcome :)

As for Haldric, I was planning to make the broch holding his cape a representation of the ruby of fire. The way I see it, loyalist heraldry would have evolved as follows :

Oldest known loyalist ancestors : until the Rise of Wesnoth
- Some undefined yet symbol on a red field for the ancesters of Haldric the Great

Early history of the Wesnoth kingdom, until Sceptre of Fire
- The blazing ruby of fire on a field of red & white
The added white would stand for the Wesfolk people after they're united with Haldric, and of course the Ruby as the early symbol of the young dynasty.

Ever since the crafting of the sceptre of fire
- The sceptre of fire on a field of red & white
Note that, accounting for the events in SoF, the actual sceptre remains unseen for most of Wesnoth's history. Alanin's descriptions would be the only record of it that exists, which would conveniently explain the many interpretations of the sceptre in heraldry.

In the meantime, I've worked some more on Mr-Not-Alanin. Thought I'd share him, even if he doesn't get used yet. What's most likely to happen is that I'll add lines and he'll become the first of the loyalist 2.0 portraits.
Attachments
SoF-alanin.jpg
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

... I really think I don't like you any more :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

At first (before reading your post detailed) I thought this is a photo to be used as reference. It might be already a touch too realistic. (But deleting the background will surely help.)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

For those who are too young to remember, let me post a reminder of LordBob's first Wesnoth portrait:

That peasant was good. Mr-Not-Alanin is incredible.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

LordBob wrote:In the meantime, I've worked some more on Mr-Not-Alanin. Thought I'd share him, even if he doesn't get used yet. What's most likely to happen is that I'll add lines and he'll become the first of the loyalist 2.0 portraits.
I thought it was a real photo of a man riding a horse statue at first when I saw the thumbnail. :shock:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

It makes attempts to make pictures appear to be paintings, look rubbish. :D Are you listening photoshop?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!