Something very strange going on.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Something very strange going on.

Post by Velensk »

I am on the server right now, and there are two of me. How would this be possible?

EDIT: To elaborate, there is another person on the server using my name. I am not controlling him but we are on at the same time.

EDIT2: He has just disappeared
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Something very strange going on.

Post by Iris »

I imagine they may have been using an uppercase i instead of a lowercase L.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Maybe it would be useful to use a font which clearly differentiates these (and other) characters, at least for user names?
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

I think it's because you're not completely disconnected from the server since the last time you logged on, it may happen from time to time. This also occurs to me in other multiplayer games.
R.I.P
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Velensk wrote:I am on the server right now, and there are two of me. How would this be possible?
Ok, this just happened to me too. Someone is hijacking names. I ran the variations, and his looked like an exact matchup.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

hhyloc wrote:I think it's because you're not completely disconnected from the server since the last time you logged on, it may happen from time to time. This also occurs to me in other multiplayer games.
Not that, he was an active player.

He didn't do any harm other than impersonating me, joining a game I was observing, then leaving after recruiting a castle full of nonsense but maybe some measures should be taken against this.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, you have the ability to notify administrators and moderators of abuse as the MOTD says.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

shadowmaster wrote:I imagine they may have been using an uppercase i instead of a lowercase L.
pauxlo wrote:Maybe it would be useful to use a font which clearly differentiates these (and other) characters, at least for user names?
:idea: To prevent confusion of "visually similar" names, maybe the game should display a graphical icon next to each user name. From each user name a hash value would be calculated, and the icon would be selected by the hash value. So visually similar names would usually have different hash values, and therefore different icons. (Now if you remember the icons for your friends, you recognize when someone is impersonating them, or just has a similar name.)

For example, if I play as "Viliam", someone else may play as "Villiam". But hashcode of "Viliam" will be e.g. 34784830 and hashcode of "Villiam" will be e.g. 09409277. Let's have a library of say 100 icons, chosen by last two digits of hashcode. The icon #30 is e.g. a red skull, icon #77 is a white sword. So one player will be displayed as "Viliam [red skull]", another one as "Villiam [white sword]". You will not confuse them.

A quick way to make many icons would be to make a few pictures in one color (skull, shield, sword, mace, bow, arrow, knife, coin, heart, star) and display them in different colors (white, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, cyan, green, brown, gray), which already makes 100 combinations. By displaying two icons after name, we have 10000 combinations. (More than two icons would probably look too chaotic.)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

:augh:
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

I lol'd.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
em3

Post by em3 »

@Viliam: Yeah, that sounds simpler. 8)
ride on shooting star
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Or we could find a better font…
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Gambit wrote:Or we could find a better font…
Viliam's idea is more KISS. :wink:
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Avatars generated from a hash are actually a common feature on many blogs, particularly those using Wordpress, which uses the Gravatar system. It's not outside the realm of possibility that there's already an open-source implementation floating around which could be used.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Gravatar has the little weakness (for the goal of avoiding fakes) that each user can upload his own icon (like my one: Image). An impersonator thus could simply choose the same icon as the impersonated person.

Thus our system should not allow this, if the goal is avoiding mixing different users.