[interface] Campaign Sort Function

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
TheCripple

[interface] Campaign Sort Function

Post by TheCripple »

Currently, any and all campaigns are simply listed under the campaign list. Given that mainline alone is a fairly long list, a mainline campaign list and DLC campaign list would be extremely helpful. How exactly this would be done could vary, but if you had a long list with the option to exclude mainline or DLC via a toggle functioning button, it would be pretty simple, though other methods would also work. This would add greater organization, and also make it easy to tell at a glance what campaigns are mainline.
sur.nhm

Re: Suggestion: Campaign Sort Function

Post by sur.nhm »

I support this. It would be of great use, IMO, to those of us who have a lot of add-on campaigns installed.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Also, a map sort function could be useful.
boru

Post by boru »

I'd like to see some kind of "favorites" organization, where the user could sort campaigns in a way that makes sense to them. (Not that I don't appreciate having Orcish Incursion right up there near the top, uh :P )

UMC creators see this screen a lot ... a keyboard command that loads a user-defined campaign would be awesome.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

boru:
In Wesnoth 1.9.x that should be already possible via "wesnoth -c <campaign_id> <scenario_id> <datadir>" (with <datadir> being the path to your installation).
The same applies to multiplayer maps, too: "wesnoth -m --scenario=<scenario_id>"

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
boru

Post by boru »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

EDIT:
It does not appear to work, or I'm an idiot, or both.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

It's be nice to sort them in chronological and difficulty order
Founding Father of Columbia
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

It's be nice to sort them in chronological and difficulty order
The chronological order sounds like a good idea, but it would work only for mainline campaigns. Some UMC are situated in different world than mainline Wesnoth (e.g. Era of Myths or Era of Magic). The difficulty order is sort of implmented in mainline campaigns, though not all campaigns of same dificulty may be equally hard. (I found HttT harder than other begginer campaigns and I Northern Rebirth harder than other expert campaigns. It might be just me being a bad player.)
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

TheBladeRoden wrote:...and difficulty order
The difficulty is however the campaign is designed by the user; there is no code to actually define it. Meaning, with current status, there is no way to tell if a campaign is beginner or expert, as the author of the campaign cannot set it for the game to read.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

DEATH_is_undead:
That's not completely correct.
Quote from CampaignWML:
rank: a number that determines the order of campaigns in the campaign selection menu. Lower rank campaigns appear earlier, with unranked campaigns at the end. Currently the mainline campaigns use multiples of 10 from 0 to 399, with 0-99 for Novice campaigns, 100-199 for Intermediate campaigns, and 200-399 for Expert campaigns; if you specify this, it should not be less than 400. (Note: This replaces an older convention that topped out at 50.)
So, it is possible and it's already done.

Crend
DEATH_is_undead

Crendgrim wrote:DEATH_is_undead:
So in theory, its possible, I guess... But even so, what happens to the campaigns that have default value in rank?

Also:
if you specify this, it should not be less than 400.
This seems to state (at least in my speculation) that it already orders in some form of difficulty. (Although I've never noticed this order) And stating a value between 0-400 would interfere with mainline. (To make it clear on what I'm assuming this states is that the order of mainline campaigns is 0-400, and to prevent user campaigns from going in front of mainline, it suggests to make it over 400?)
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Crendgrim wrote:DEATH_is_undead:
So in theory, its possible, I guess... But even so, what happens to the campaigns that have default value in rank?
They're listed at the very bottom.
DEATH_is_undead wrote: Also:
if you specify this, it should not be less than 400.
This seems to state (at least in my speculation) that it already orders in some form of difficulty. (Although I've never noticed this order) And stating a value between 0-400 would interfere with mainline. (To make it clear on what I'm assuming this states is that the order of mainline campaigns is 0-400, and to prevent user campaigns from going in front of mainline, it suggests to make it over 400?)
At least that's how I understood it..

Crend
DEATH_is_undead

Crendgrim wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote: Also: This seems to state (at least in my speculation) that it already orders in some form of difficulty. (Although I've never noticed this order) And stating a value between 0-400 would interfere with mainline. (To make it clear on what I'm assuming this states is that the order of mainline campaigns is 0-400, and to prevent user campaigns from going in front of mainline, it suggests to make it over 400?)
At least that's how I understood it..
Well, then there needs to be a system for addon developers as to prevent mixed levels. But even so, if they're rated from 400-800, they'd be listed after mainline, still making it impossible to maintain the current sorting system with the new one, as if you want mainline then addon, it'll be over-rided by the ranking system. So, once again, I see no way around this... Any ideas/anything I'm missing?
boru

Post by boru »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Any ideas/anything I'm missing?
:hmm: Maybe we could implement some kind of a campaign sort function ...

Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

I'd really like to see a (rough) chronological order for mainline campaigns as a possible selection option.