more unit characteristics

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Iron

more unit characteristics

Post by Iron »

These may or may not be possible in Wesnoth already (sorry if they are), but they're things that I think would be neat additions that'd potentially add a lot to gameplay. These are suggestions only, mentioned only in case the devs find them interesting...

1. Ability to define a unit has having a number of hexes it can move _after_ an attack. Imagine, say, a slow and weak unit with a strong ranged attack. As soon as it is committed to attack it will likely end up exposed to the enemy on the next turn and hence killed. But what if you could retreat it a hex after it attacks?

2. A unit that could attack by blowing itself up, and taking out (or damaging) all units in neighbouring hexes, friendly or enemy.

3. Damage type of confusion. Affected unit stays where it is and can't be told to do anything for a turn, or for however long the damage lasts.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1) would be interesting. it would be nice to have a hit-and-run attack. also, perhaps the same coding or similar could be used for a haste-like specialty.

2,3) been discussed, you might want to do a search for relevant threads.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

1) is just a sneaky way of getting 'true' ranged units. If such a unit can move n hexes after firing on an adjacent unit, it has an effective range of n hexes, which is something I thought was un-Wesnothish.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

autolycus wrote:1) is just a sneaky way of getting 'true' ranged units. If such a unit can move n hexes after firing on an adjacent unit, it has an effective range of n hexes, which is something I thought was un-Wesnothish.

this isn't exactly true, since Zone of Control rules still apply, and even if you also give the unit skirmish, it still can't move through enemy units. So this is not, IMEO, a "sneaky way of getting 'true' ranged units". This would be a very useful ability for a scout unit, but I wouldn't want all scout units to have it.
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

you might as well just give the unit an attack with the ranged(n) ability, where n is the number of hexes the attack can cover.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I thought that the idea of a unit that could move and attack multiple times would be awesome, but it would be very disruptive of game play. I imagine a unit that could attack and move two or three or four times in a turn. It would totally disrupt game play.

But it is very interesting.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Darth Fool wrote:
autolycus wrote:1) is just a sneaky way of getting 'true' ranged units. If such a unit can move n hexes after firing on an adjacent unit, it has an effective range of n hexes, which is something I thought was un-Wesnothish.

this isn't exactly true, since Zone of Control rules still apply, and even if you also give the unit skirmish, it still can't move through enemy units. So this is not, IMEO, a "sneaky way of getting 'true' ranged units". This would be a very useful ability for a scout unit, but I wouldn't want all scout units to have it.
I don't think ZOC rules can apply to units like this. After all, when you come into contact with an enemy and deliver your attack, you are already in ZOC. If you can step away after that, you have just moved through ZOC for free. So when it is said that you can move n hexes after a battle, you have a free move out of ZOC!
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

autolycus wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:
I don't think ZOC rules can apply to units like this. After all, when you come into contact with an enemy and deliver your attack, you are already in ZOC. If you can step away after that, you have just moved through ZOC for free. So when it is said that you can move n hexes after a battle, you have a free move out of ZOC!
Note what you said: You have A free move through ZOC, not total free movement.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry