Wesnoth 1.8.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.8.6

Post by ivanovic »

This is a bugfix release for the 1.8.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.8.x versions.

This release mainly fixes minor bugs (including some crashes, but not many) and improves some rough edges in several campaigns. Besides this, many translations were updated. The largest change is probably the introduction of a new chat log viewer for the multiplayer chat. This is likely to be the (really) last 1.8.x release unless any larger changes (like some huge translation updates or fixing some security issue) happen.

Of course there is a full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.8.5. A players changelog including only the most visible changes for common users is also available.

Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (288.2 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.8.5 to 1.8.6, 2.6 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenPandora package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.8.x is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.7.14, 1.7.15 and all 1.8.x versions. Older versions are no longer supported. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-ons server not working as expected, please notify the content's author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first! Instructions for bug reporting can be found at ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...

Bug reports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.6

Post by Iris »

As a consequence of the fix for bug #9648 [Gna.org], I introduced bug #17956 [Gna.org] (“Starting location labels not immediately visible in the map editor”) in trunk and 1.8.6. Those who build from source may apply the following patch (with -p1) and recompile to solve this issue.
Fix starting location labels being initially invisible in the map editor (bug #17956)

The problem was that players are always observers when there are no
playing teams; so now skip the observer condition in that case.

(Backported from trunk, r49529.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

This was reported to me by a friend that downloaded yesterday 1.8.6. He said he was watching my whispers in white color on MP lobby, when he always saw them in blue with 1.8.5
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Appears to work for me.
Attachments
whispers.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
paso
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by paso »

bug for me with 1.8.6
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.39 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
paso
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by paso »

sorry i joint now with the hour and the date
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.43 KiB) Viewed 10659 times
loonixxx

Post by loonixxx »

I'm currently running Mac OSX 10.4.11 on an old G5 PPC iMac. Wesnoth 1.86 doesn't necessarily (crash) and installs fine but upon starting the application the Wesnoth application flashes for a brief second in the dock then disappears failing to launch. I've deleted the 1_8 folder from previous versions in the application support folder (1.85 worked flawlessly) but still no go for 1.86.

I'm also running the devlopment 1.96 and that works too but is named differtly to avoid version conflict with the 1.8 branch. Any help would be greatly appreciated from the Mac-centric.

Thank you in advance.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

loonixxx wrote:I'm currently running Mac OSX 10.4.11 on an old G5 PPC iMac. Wesnoth 1.86 doesn't necessarily (crash) and installs fine but upon starting the application the Wesnoth application flashes for a brief second in the dock then disappears failing to launch. I've deleted the 1_8 folder from previous versions in the application support folder (1.85 worked flawlessly) but still no go for 1.86.

I'm also running the devlopment 1.96 and that works too but is named differtly to avoid version conflict with the 1.8 branch. Any help would be greatly appreciated from the Mac-centric.

Thank you in advance.
I read a thread about this. 1.8.6 fails to launch on 10.5.8 or lower but runs flawlessly on 10.6 or later. This is not a bug, the version 1.8.6 can't be supported in 10.5 or 10.4 .
You don't need to delete the 1.8 folder in "Application Support". If you did that, then you lost your completed campaigns list and installed add-ons, saves, etc.

The stable branch still isn't complete (to my view point). The Drake Flare branch is missing its animations and the goblin pillager is not like the other wolf-rider wolves.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:The stable branch still isn't complete (to my view point). The Drake Flare branch is missing its animations and the goblin pillager is not like the other wolf-rider wolves.
Exactly, the next 1.8 release will be called '1.10' :wink: