"Mal-"'s use in non-EI campaigns

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

"Mal-"'s use in non-EI campaigns

Post by turin »

There seems to be some confusion over my use of the prefix Mal- in EI. Most noticeably, people have started using it as a prefix for the names of ALL undead leaders in other usermade campaigns. And this is not how it is intended to be used...

The prefix Mal- is a title used by those who raise undead, meaning the dark adepts, necromancers, etc, who are members of the Cult of Mal-Ravanal. It is NOT used by their minions, meaning normal, undead units, or by necromancers not members of the Cult*. It (obviously) signifies Bad, Evil, etc, and was chosen to represent their complete Evilness and dedication to Death, Doom, Destruction and Chaos (tm). Their minions, since they have no will of their own, are not intrinsically evil, and thus are not worthy of the title of Mal-. It doesn't really make sense to have revenants, bone shooters, etc, be named Mal-.

Another thing to note is that Dark Adepts should have one syllable after the Mal-, Necromancers 2, Lichs 3, and, if for some reason you have a 4th level enemy, he will be Mal-Ravanal, and thus there is no naming problem as he has a pre-set name. There is no reason behind this, its just something I did to make the more advanced units seem more powerful.

There is no way i can require this, and even if there was i probably wouldn't. However, for the sake of consistency within wesnoth, could we please keep this naming system across campaigns?

*: I am flexible on this point; its OK, but not desirable, to have your enemy necromancers be called Mal-. However, i am not really flexible on the first point.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I agree wholeheartedly. It's the little details like this that keep our fantasy world from turning to inconsistent [censored].

Granted, we've already committed several heinous crimes so far, but keeping together on a little detail like this shouldn't be hard.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Please put this information to Wiki section "Scenario and graphics", either under "Race Descriptions", or as a new page "Unit names".

Somewhere in the forum there is another topic dealing with the names of Drake units. It would be nice to have all such information in one place.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Viliam wrote:Please put this information to Wiki section "Scenario and graphics", either under "Race Descriptions", or as a new page "Unit names".

Somewhere in the forum there is another topic dealing with the names of Drake units. It would be nice to have all such information in one place.
Huh? This is about the names of sentient undead leaders borrowed from EI. The drake one is about the generic names (and possibly Markov chain) for drakes. These don't belong together, or even moved. Well, maybe this should be in Scenario and Campaigns forum, but it looks good here too.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

The Drakes are in my old renewed drakes thread; it has inclusion for both male and female drakes; even though there are no female drakes in the game yet.
Circon

Post by Circon »

While we're on this, how about undead leaders in general: The original "Muff Malaal" spawned both "Muff Janal" and "Ihiah Malal". Any consensus on this?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Circon wrote:While we're on this, how about undead leaders in general: The original "Muff Malaal" spawned both "Muff Janal" and "Ihiah Malal". Any consensus on this?
:) Ihiah is a cool name. Really.

Muff sounds dumb, though. And Janal sounds too much like Jamal, which makes me think of that dude on the PBS kids show "Ghostwriter", which basically makes the dude sound black.

(insert all manner of tasteless jokes about "black" magic here)
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

Jetryl wrote: And Janal sounds too much like Jamal, which makes me think of that dude on the PBS kids show "Ghostwriter", which basically makes the dude sound black.
OT: Jamal is the arabic name for "camel", closely related to the word Jamiil that means, if I'm not wrong, "beautiful".
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Isn't one of the HttT liches called Haf-mal? is that covered by this, or is only the prefix mal- being referred to?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Isn't one of the HttT liches called Haf-mal? is that covered by this, or is only the prefix mal- being referred to?
Only prefix mal... though that name should be changed anyway. Its just stupid. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:that name should be changed anyway. Its just stupid. :P
Agreed. How's Ka-Niva?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:that name should be changed anyway. Its just stupid. :P
Agreed. How's Ka-Niva?
Cool.

We need more names like that for necromancers.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

With drake names, how about this? Most drake units can have any name ie. Neorice's. But, all male drake commanders have names ending in -ar, all female drake commanders have names ending in -ig, and all drake places have names ending in -or.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

turin wrote:We need more names like that for necromancers.
Hel-Vec
Fin-Mok
Han-Agoth
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience