The Dark Hordes replays

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ott
Inactive Developer

The Dark Hordes replays

Post by ott »

Posting a complete set of replays for TDH, mostly so I can add a link to this to the walkthrough. These were played under 0.8.5 in Hard difficulty (edit: see further along for 0.8.8 replays).

Here is the first replay, for A New Chance.
Last edited by ott on January 20th, 2005, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Second replay, for Brother Against Brother.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Replay for The Skull of Agarash.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

interesting...

you can attach multiple files to one post, BTW.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Replay for Mages and Elves.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Replay for Inside the Tower.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Replay for Crelanu's Book.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Replays for Confrontation and Underground Pool.

These are just for completeness, and not exactly great examples of what to do.

The paladins and mages in Confrontation wipe out every unit in the undead army, and Gwiti barely escapes. Luckily only about half of the powerful units were recalled, so it's not a total loss.

Underground Pool is just a manic rush to find the water. Should have recruited more units, some ranged units would have helped.
Circon

Post by Circon »

YAAYYY!! These will help a lot for my balancing. Nice to see it completed on hard. Look forward to:
Aretu appearing fairly early, so you can't move Gwiti into position and then kill Leonard
Smaller maps
Changed or removed Tower potions
The Underground River - escape the flood, the cave nagas and the dwarves!
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Look forward to: Aretu appearing fairly early, so you can't move Gwiti into position and then kill Leonard
This would be reasonable, though he appeared before turn 20 in the replay above, and I think it should be possible to finish Leonard off earlier.
Smaller maps
Yes, there are some dead areas on the edges of some of the maps.
Changed or removed Tower potions
They didn't seem to be very important anyway.
The Underground River - escape the flood, the cave nagas and the dwarves!
Looking forward to this!
Circon

Post by Circon »

"Mages and Elves" is corrupt. Crealnu's Book too, around turn 3.(Yes, I'm only watching some of them now. I've been working on other stuff, and watching this on an as-needed basis.)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Just replayed Mages and Elves; seems to replay fine on my vanilla Linux 0.8.5 installation (built from source, no fancy options, no patches). Where are you seeing corruption?

However, the Crelanu's Book replay does seem to be corrupt on turn 6 on each of 3 attempts to replay it. Examining the file, starting with line 2592 there seem to be a lot of nested [random] tags, to do with recruiting. This looks odd. Looking at the Mages and Elves replay again, line 1321 seems to start one of those nested [random] tagsets, which would be turn 3, and again related to recruiting. As far as I can tell, this seems common in many of my saved games and replays, both for 0.8 and 0.8.5, so perhaps it's not the problem.

Playing through Crelanu's up until Turn 6, the actual error seems to be

Code: Select all

up to replay action 499/935
up to replay action 500/935
unit 'Elvish Fighter' is too expensive to recruit: 14/13
caught replay::error
result of replay: false
Since the AI was the only player able to recruit Elves in this scenario, either the AI cheated in the original game by recruiting a cost 14 unit when only having 13 gold (assuming I'm reading this error correctly), or there is a problem with saving or replaying replays. Seems like a game bug, either way.

(Pure speculation without having looked at the code: perhaps this is a sequencing issue with replays, so that AI income is taken into account at a different point than in the actual game (for instance, at the end of a turn instead of the beginning). Or some of the AI level 2 and 3 units in the original game were loyal but ended up non-loyal in the replay, reducing the AI's gold?)

I have a save of Crelanu's up to Turn 9, Mages and Elves up to Turn 31, and have also re-saved the Mages and Elves replay (after playing through it to test it), with a different filesize to the original replay. Would any of these help?
Circon

Post by Circon »

I think I just realized what the problem was:

:oops: :oops: I had started modifying Mages and Elves when I watched this. :oops: :oops:

Oh, I forgot to say this: Congratulations on completing the campaign on Hard!
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Thanks. Playing undead is fun, especially with Walking Corpses having 18hp instead of 16 as previously. Perhaps even a bit too easy?

I still have the problem of Crelanu's: a repeatable error on turn 6, action 500, as above. And I haven't been modifying the campaign! This seems to rule out small differences in saved random values being an issue, and makes less likely differences in Loyal traits, but increases my suspicions of a sequencing issue when replaying saved games, or the AI sometimes being able to recruit without having enough gold.

The only thing non-stock about my install is that the Liberty campaign, version 1.1.3. Its creator mentioned it does interfere with existing campaigns (see forum topic Liberty). However, removing it makes no difference.

Busy looking at the code.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

See bug reports http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... m_id=10777 and http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... m_id=10786 on Savannah, and the forum thread http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3529 for more about buggy replays.

Here is another replay of Underground Pool which at least replays fine on my system. The one posted before causes an error, even on my system. Still need to redo Confrontation (all my attempts to create a replay give errors as referred to above) and Crelanu's Book.