Mouse Issue for Mobility Impaired Gamer

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
JoanRC

Mouse Issue for Mobility Impaired Gamer

Post by JoanRC »

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.5
Pardus Linux 2011
HP Pavillion Slimline 7700s

I've been having minor mouse issues with this computer, spanning all operating systems (Vista and Linux) and persisting through mouse replacements - which leads me to believe it is a matter of the mouse connector. They are minor and don't bother me much - most of the time. The mouse seems to be overly sensitive at times, occasionally delivering a double-click when I want a single click. The problem is compounded by a mobility issue of mine, which causes occasional uncontrollable tremors in my mouse hand.

In Wesnoth, this often results in an action becoming un-undoable. For instance, when recruiting or recalling units, I will sometimes end up with some random unit I did not want. When I bring up the context menu, the undo option is missing and the keyboard combination for undo will not work. When that happens, my only option is to restart that turn and start the recruiting process all over again. This afternoon, I had to restart one turn seven times before ending up with the recruits I wanted.

I'm guessing that the option to undo is lost if the player clicks on the unit after it has been recruited or moved. This second click somehow confirms the choice. My tremors/mouse sensitivity issue randomly applies that second click; and thus I lose my undo option.

I know I could simply learn to play the game from the keyboard. But I am wondering if there is any way the programmers could fix this?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Mouse Issue for Mobility Impaired Gamer

Post by Iris »

The possibility of undoing a recruit is deliberately removed when the recruit has received randomized traits, which is the mainly the case for non-undead. IIRC this was done to prevent OOS cases.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
JoanRC

Post by JoanRC »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Guess it's the keyboard from now on. :eng:
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

Assuming that your mobility issue allow you this, here are 2 possible tricks which may help you:

- in Wesnoth menus, you can select item with a right click. This is useful for your problem because the right button don't do the double-click thing.
- if selecting item with the left button, try to keep it pressed. You can even drag the mouse out of the menu to prevent any double-click when releasing.
Max

Post by Max »

shadowmaster wrote:IIRC this was done to prevent OOS cases.
would have thought this was because this way you could always get the traits you wish for (given enough time and patience). mp games would certainly take lot longer^^
JoanRC

Post by JoanRC »

Alink wrote:Assuming that your mobility issue allow you this, here are 2 possible tricks which may help you:

- in Wesnoth menus, you can select item with a right click.
Cool! That should work.
This is useful for your problem because the right button don't do the double-click thing.
I did not know that about mice. Maybe cause I'm still stuck in some old DOS habits.
- if selecting item with the left button, try to keep it pressed. You can even drag the mouse out of the menu to prevent any double-click when releasing.
That should work, too. Thanks!