Do you find snow annoying, or beautiful?(both?)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joram

Re: Do you find snow annoying, or beautiful?(both?)

Post by Joram »

Personally, I love snow when it's falling gently, and want to be out in it. For some reason I just have a lot of positive associations with falling snow. If it's a blizzard, well that's another thing.

Once it's on the ground, I'd much rather it stayed for 3 months than this nonsense I get with 2 inches of snow, it melts the next day and makes 2 inches of mud. Then it snows next week with the same end result. :roll:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
MCP

Post by MCP »

My experience with snow is very limited. It's always been on vacation so I have 'time,' that is I don't have to be anywhere such as work.

I've lived in central California my whole life so I only see snow either on the hills of Silicon and/or Salinas Valley, or if I go to the Sierra's, eg Yosemite, Tahoe, Kirkwood. It's beautiful when the snow comes down to around 500 to 1000 feet on the Santa Cruz Mountains in the Silicon Valley.

My grandparents live in the foothills to the Sierra's and many years ago we had a big Christmas celebration there. It snowed the whole time and we all loved it, seeing as most of us were just visiting.
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Dunno wrote: Btw, how many of you guys have never seen or touched snow in your life?
I've kind of seen it (it...umm...somewhat snowed last year, and this year's looking reasonably likely), but...err...The last time it really snowed where I lived was...what...twelve-thirteen years ago? And it was maybe a few inches. I could be remember it wrong, but it really hardly ever (almost never) snows here. I don't think I've ever even made a snowball. Oh well. I like really warm weather anyway.

Snowboarding, I think, would be fun, though...
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Araja

Post by Araja »

Annoying, mostly.

It slows me down, makes my feet cold, only shows up when the outside temperature is painfully low, is accompanied by ice that forces me to slow down even more, ice which makes me almost slip over anyway, ice which makes a point of injuring me whenever I try to run or climb on walls, tends to damage visibility on the roads, gives 20%, 3 to most of my units, makes the coaches late due to accompanying freezing weather, hides players with the White team colour, and generally makes my life harder in a wide variety of ways. Plus it does d6 points of cold damage for every minute I'm out in it :/

On the bright side, I can have snowball fights with my college class :D
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Personally, I think snow is awesome. Until I have to shovel it or drive through it. What annoys me the most about snow is the fact that every time a snowstorm over 1/2 an inch is predicted, every man, woman and child in my area rushes to the grocery stores and stocks up, thereby making weekend shopping an even more painful experience.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Huston

Post by Huston »

artisticdude wrote:Personally, I think snow is awesome. Until I have to shovel it or drive through it. What annoys me the most about snow is the fact that every time a snowstorm over 1/2 an inch is predicted, every man, woman and child in my area rushes to the grocery stores and stocks up, thereby making weekend shopping an even more painful experience.
uhm thats sad,. they never heard of 4 wheel drive?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Huston wrote:
artisticdude wrote:Personally, I think snow is awesome. Until I have to shovel it or drive through it. What annoys me the most about snow is the fact that every time a snowstorm over 1/2 an inch is predicted, every man, woman and child in my area rushes to the grocery stores and stocks up, thereby making weekend shopping an even more painful experience.
uhm thats sad,. they never heard of 4 wheel drive?
Sad? Not if you're a grocer. :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Huston

Post by Huston »

lol fair enough :P
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Joram

Post by Joram »

Annoying, mostly.

It slows me down, makes my feet cold, only shows up when the outside temperature is painfully low, is accompanied by ice that forces me to slow down even more, ice which makes me almost slip over anyway, ice which makes a point of injuring me whenever I try to run or climb on walls...
Actually, I love walking on a sidewalk that has some super-slick ice on it. So slick that you can run and then slide for 20-30 feet. It's a challenge to remain standing, and makes the walk more interesting. :D
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I love the snow. It just snowed here and I like the way it seems to paint the landscape. Things go from brown and green to all white. It is beautiful. I also love watching the flurries of snow fall in perfect silence.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Araja wrote:gives 20%, 3 to most of my units, ... hides players with the White team colour,
I just had to laugh at that when I saw it. :lol2:

Personally, I find snow nice, until the sun starts to heat it up again and you end up ankle-deep in disgusting slushy stuff.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Reepurr wrote:Personally, I find snow nice, until the sun starts to heat it up again and you end up ankle-deep in disgusting slushy stuff.
Oh no, it gets much worse when it's -13 Celsius (8 Fahrenheit) in the nigh and +2 in the afternoon (35). The snow melts and freezes making every street impossible to walk through. Not a long time ago, there was a very annoying phenomenon- deep snow covered sidewalks and small "plows" made them passable, making large drifts on sides. During the day those drifts begun to melt and water from them poured onto sidewalks and then froze in the night. In the morning we had lots of free ice rinks all over the Warsaw. It was fun to watch poor guys chasing the bus and literally sliding through the bus stop, helplessly. You won't understand if you don't go through this at least once :)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Snow is beautiful, though I admit that after months of it I'm getting a bit tired of it. But I'll probably be glad to see it again next winter. Everything looks nicer with snow. :)
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dunno wrote:Btw, how many of you guys have never seen or touched snow in your life?
The closest thing to snow I’ve seen IRL was some semi-melted snow (“aguanieve”) quickly covering my father’s car windshield while driving in middle of a thunderstorm in 2000.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The only thing I dislike about snow is the removal; it's a bit like being conscripted to shovel a truckload of dirt. Sometimes it's light and fluffy, but it's often matted down into being very heavy. Snowblowing machines help immensely, but it still sucks.

Other than that, snow and winter are very nice, chiefly because unlike the heat, you can always suit yourself up to alleviate the cold, whereas you can only strip down to your skin (e.g. swimsuits) to alleviate the heat (and of course you almost always can't socially do that). In all but the worst winter weather, you can remain quite comfortable in warm clothes, whereas in heat, if you get above maybe 100-110°F, which I gather is very common in many places, you're just miserable unless you're indoors or underwater.

I say this as someone from the upper midwest USA, where winters almost always hit -20°C/°F, and sometimes even drop to -40°. It's -14°C right now, and I just got done biking back from the exercise place a few hours ago. This place is the anvil upon which winter's hammer is struck; it easily rivals siberia for climate. So I do have some understanding of what "real" winter is like, and frankly, it's pretty nice overall. It's stark, it's quite pretty.

Also a nice side effect of it, when it gets really clean like it does here, is that it's "sterile" - there are many, many kinds of insect/etc pests that we simply do not have here at all, because they cannot survive the winter. Scorpions, for example. We do have mosquitoes, but even they can have their numbers decimated by a late spring frost.
I find driving in snow pretty easy, unless you have an ancient car. Midwesterners are pretty patient drivers, and the solution to snow/ice driving is fairly trivial: just slow the hell down when you're gonna change your inertia, and double/triple your stopping distance. Ironically, I'd be much more scared of winter driving elsewhere - it's not the ice I'm afraid of, it's the hypothetical "other driver" who doesn't understand it, and ends up rear-ending me.

Businesses and such typically don't shut down due to snow, here (maybe on a rare occasion, but I haven't had a single time where I've been unable to go to something because they got snowed out). Schools are the only closures I can think of. We have a comprehensive and well-equipped snow removal system; when multiple inches of snow falls, you're required by law to move your cars off the public streets and into your driveways/garages; during the middle of the night, plows remove all of it, and the roads are clear to drive the next morning.
doofus-01 wrote:Snow is alright. Sludge and black ice aren't. I like how quiet it gets when there is a significant amount of snow.
Yeah. The above are "snow melted/mixed in equal measure with dirt." Most frequently involved with sand-sprinkled roads (to increase traction), and cars. It's a mess.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!