Do you find snow annoying, or beautiful?(both?)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Do you find snow annoying, or beautiful?(both?)

Post by Dunno »

It's snowing here again and I thought I'd visit good old Wesnoth forum and talk about it. Personally, I think snow is really beautiful and I like when it falls. But then, when I wake up at 6 o'clock and go to the bus stop (about 800 meters) knee deep in snow, it kinda loses its beauty. And it gets even worse when your bus is late, or simply never comes, and you stand there half an hour praying to God you won't be late. Not to mention this nasty ooze consisting of salt, sand and water all over your shoes. I still, however, like snow, and I'd rather have it with all above mentioned difficulties than never see it. Btw, how many of you guys have never seen or touched snow in your life?
Well, gotta go, I spent 15 mins on forum instead of learning. Stupid math
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Do you find snow annoying, or beautiful?(both?)

Post by Velensk »

I like snow, even in large quantities. I am however not all that fond of ice or winter wind.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

Snow is fine - as long as you don't have to go out in there.
| My Art Corner | The White Lich (Fan Fic) |
Translating Wesnoth into finnish
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I love snow. But then again, I don't see much of it. Three inches tops when at all.
Velensk wrote:I am however not all that fond of ice or winter wind.
I second that. It's nice at first (WOAH it's so cold!) but after about 2 minutes it gets old. I like the weather around 60-70 degrees.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Beautiful when it's elsewhere. Hellish when it's here. Apart from the very rare occasions when I get to ski.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Not sure what it translates to in Fahrenheit but I generally prefer it about 5-10 degrees Celsius. Such weather is unfortunately rare where I live right now.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Velensk wrote:Not sure what it translates to in Fahrenheit but I generally prefer it about 5-10 degrees Celsius.
That's 41 - 50 degrees Fahrenheit... My normally preferred temperate (~55-70) is like 12-20 degrees Celsius :lol2: I guess when it's *hot* your *cool* is a lot higher than normal.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Since snow it's particularly rare where I live, I find it a beautiful sight 8)
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Dunno wrote:Btw, how many of you guys have never seen or touched snow in your life?
:lol2: It's me.. I live in Pontianak, Indonesia, which is precisely at 0° equatorial axis. it's usually 32°C(80°F) at mid-day
and well..., snow looks beautiful in TV.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

atomicbomb wrote:
Dunno wrote:Btw, how many of you guys have never seen or touched snow in your life?
:lol2: It's me.. I live in Pontianak, Indonesia, which is precisely at 0° equatorial axis. it's usually 32°C(80°F) at mid-day
and well..., snow looks beautiful in TV.
Me too, I've never seen snow in my life since I live in a tropical country. IMO, snow is beautiful, unless it's a snowstorm. :P
R.I.P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I really like snow, although I'm not really a winter sports guy. I think it's beautiful, and I don't mind having to walk a few hundred meter knee-deep in snow once in a while, or buses being late or whatever. Sure, sometimes it's annoying, but I don't mind, I still like snow. Of course, I can understand that someplace (England, France) are not really equipped for snowy times, so it can be bothersome. Here, cities have the machines and employees to clean roads and sidewalks, roads are made larger in prevision of snow banks on the sides, houses are isolated in prevision of, etc.

Snow storms are cool, too. Of course, everything gets jammed and you likely won't get much done on those days, but still, I really like it.

As of my favourite temparature, I'd say it's between 10 and -10 celsius. I like when it's kinda cold, when it's too hot I feel lazy and lame. I dislike above 20 celsius (well, make it 25 :P ).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Snow is alright. Sludge and black ice aren't. I like how quiet it gets when there is a significant amount of snow.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

doofus-01 wrote: I like how quiet it gets when there is a significant amount of snow.
Oh yes, can't argue with that :D

My favorite temperature is around 20-25 celsius (70-75 Fahrenheit) when you can just grab a T-shirt and go out.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

everything is beautiful when there's not too much of it..of course sometimes too much is anything above none xD
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
johndh

Post by johndh »

I got to see it from a distance when I went to Colorado in 2009, just on the mountaintops on the horizon. I haven't actually been in it since I was a little kid (early 1990s). Just this past December, there was a very light dusting of snow, but only the kind that melts instantly when it hits the ground, so that only kind of counts. :)
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.