Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kvinkunx

Travelling Tradesmen sprites

Post by Kvinkunx »

Hello guys and gals,

I work on the Travelling Tradesmen mod for some time already and recently I have finished all the basic sprites for both genders.

It is my first serious sprite work ever so I will sure be happy for comments & hints.

Bad pose of characters is intentional, since these people spend time earning money, not doing exercises.

Level 1 sprite represents a redneck trader-wannabe who has yet to learn about the big world. Level 2 and 3 just grows richer and... fatter.

Level 1 male, female
Image Image

Level 2 male, female
ImageImage

Level 3 male, female
ImageImage
homunculus

Re: Travelling Tradesmen sprites

Post by homunculus »

they look awesome imho.
are you calling it 'tradesmen' because 'traveling salesman' would confuse people who google for the traveling salesman math problem?

lev 2 female's skirt looks like it is made from different material than top (less highlight).

lev 3 male top of the hat and the brim (i guess that is what the lower edge is called) of the hat do not seem to have the same perspective, and the belt could have a little curve, and left knee seems low, and upper pants don't seem to be shaded as much as the rest of the sprite.

and about the all the males:
the belt ends at same height at both sides, is that because the front side of the belt is brought forward and left side is hidden by protruding belly?
the middle parts of the right sides could be moved bit lower as now the right leg is bit longer and the right arm seems short (also in females except lev 2 maybe).

short hands look cute, though.
they are traders not fighters, maybe they can afford to have cute rudimentary hands that would look [censored] on a fighter.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
SFault

Post by SFault »

Magnificent!

It might be bit hard to tell which unit is on higher level in the game. Especially the female lvl2 unit looks weaker than the lvl1 unit. Usually bigger level means bigger unit, more color and more junk (like weapons and decoration). Perhaps you could simplify both genders of lvl 1 a bit and add something to lvl 2 units. For example the female lvl2 could have puffier skirt with the decoration of the lvl1 skirt.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Or maybe just had some kind of handbag/umbrella to the lv2, so it'll look more advanced and would fit the style. The man's difference in levels is more apparent. Really like your sprites, good job! :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Kvinkunx

Post by Kvinkunx »

Thank you guys! :)

Gave a thought to your ideas and made a bunch of changes:

Image -> Image Image -> Image

As of the L2 female I want to avoid any bag-like accessories since these are already part of the game once the player buys one. Tried an umbrella but the result wasn't satisfying so went for some more decoration first; I think there isn't much to simplify on L1's, at least on the male. The idea is that L2 is superior to L1 because it looks more polished, its dress is made of a softer fabric. Still willing to try an accessory if the L2 female doesn't look cool enough yet.
Kvinkunx

Post by Kvinkunx »

are you calling it 'tradesmen' because 'traveling salesman' would confuse people who google for the traveling salesman math problem?
Nope, the reason is that I wanted something starting with "T". "Let's go play 'TT'." Also salesman sounds too contemporary to me. ;)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

minimal changes look fine to me, what do u think about changing the style of your sprites a little to this age:

http://www.french-engravings.com/index.php?cPath=23
http://www.french-engravings.com/index.php?cPath=30_239

found some REALLY nice pictures for you to use if you want.

in any case, the ones u did look awesome already :wink:
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

the ones u did look awesome already
Agree 100%

Just a minor point of criticsim though:
I noticed that your female sprites looked great, but your male sprites ...seemed to be lacking something. Not bad, just not great. At first I just put this down to the reason women's magazines are full of naked and semi-naked women, while men's magazines are also full of naked and semi-naked women, i.e. the female body is beautiful, the male body is kind of lumpy and hairy but not in a way that makes you want to eat it, then I realised what it actuall was...

You draw clothing brilliantly, that is the clothing on the males and on the females. You draw people problaby a lot better than me, but nowhere near as well as you draw clothing. The female forms are mostly obscured by the clothes you have drawn on them, whereas the guys' bodies can still be sort of seen. Like I said, you stil do it better than I could, so I won't complain, just giving my opinion for what it's worth. :mrgreen:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Kvinkunx

Post by Kvinkunx »

My thanks, guys! :wink:
what do u think about changing the style of your sprites a little to this age
If it would improve the looks of a sprite and not just change it to something different, yet equally good-looking, then yes, please, provide me with a pic and describe what do you have in mind.
but your male sprites ...seemed to be lacking something.
You mean because their clothes are simpler than those of women, they look more "naked" and therefore uninteresting, perhaps? So adding more decoration, pockets, accessories etc. would do?
If not, then it is probably beyond me what to improve about their poses and would welcome further advice on the latest update.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

but your male sprites ...seemed to be lacking something.
Maybe because their arms spread as if they were holding something?

the elder ones could hold a cane (with a pommel for the lvl 3). The younger could hold a wallet.
Regards,

GangrN
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Maybe if they were doing something with the hand? Like had it resting on their hip, say.

Looking good!
Kvinkunx

Post by Kvinkunx »

Thanks for hints! :wink:

Awoken from a winter slumber, I continue the development at full speed. :doh:

So far L1 and L3 women stay the same unless a need for further changes arises. Instead of simplifying L1's I have tried several variants for L2 accessories.
If you find the dog natural AND can tell its race, I will shed tears of joy. :lol2: The parasol variant may still win though.

Image -> Image
Image -> Image -> Image or Image or Image or Image
Image -> Image or Image
Image -> Image
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

this is a yorkshire terrier with a red ribbon on his head binding the hair together :mrgreen:
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

a ribbon? thought it was a crown xD
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Tet

Post by Tet »

The sprites are more than adequate for any good use.
That brings me to the point: What do you have in mind for TT?

EDIT: I found the link in the first post. Nice work. You can put links in your signiture too. (Like I do.)
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895