New Campaign:Undead Incursion for 1.6 and 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kapoue_II

New Campaign:Undead Incursion for 1.6 and 1.8

Post by Kapoue_II »

As some of you will know from my "I need help" topic, I have been trying to get this campaign to work. It is entirely possible that about 9,000,000 bugs will pop up straight away. However, I have tried, It all works-except the images. I have struggled and cried, but I have not been able to get pictures in the campaign menu. But the actual campaign works.

I have posted up for downloads on 1.8 and 1.6, with a 1.9 release coming soon. The 1.8 version is not working atm, but It will be fixed very quickly. For the record, the error is because it was written on a Linux laptop, but the 1.8 was uploaded from my apple mac.

Anyway- Please try it out, and when you discover an elephants weight of bugs, please remember this is my first campaign. Also, be aware I have written 4 out of 8 scenarios. Feedback/bug reports appreciated.

P.S.:Anyone with ideas on how to individualise the Elvish magi, please let me know. Its kinda boring having them basically the same as the human ones in all areas apart from movement.

Edit: Slight update-the icon in the campaign menu is working, and I have written the proper description. The update has only been done on 1.6 so far
Edit 2: ID fault in sc2-the next scenario choice for following the undead had a capital letter in it. Also, Macryn now has leadership
1.8 is now fixed. 1.6 has 1 extra scenario atm however.
arek72

Re: New Campaign:Undead Incursion for 1.6 and 1.8

Post by arek72 »

Hi,

when palying your campaign i get this error when my mage levels up to level2:

gme_error: Could not findthe unit being advanced to: Elvish White Mage

Then the campaign quits.
Playing on OSX 10.6.4
Wesnoth 1.8.5

Arek
There is no spoon...

OS X 10.6.8
Wesnoth 1.10.5
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Yeah thats because i haven't written elvish white mage. If you upgrade all your elvish magi to be red magi for now, i will stick elvish white mage in the next update.
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Ok-version 0.7.1 released for 1.6-this includes another scenario, the elf white mage, music now working anda couple of other things i can't remember of the top of my head. 1.8 release coming in a couple of hours.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I could not get to the second scenario apparently because of an error about map headers. The first scenario was very easy.

I do not like the elvish mage line idea at all. The elves already have their own magicians and these magicians even follow the same general trend (two lines, one that heals, one that deals damage). The very fact that you use the art for the human mages/most of the same stats makes the differences a bit unintuitive. If you want to make them more distinct then at the very least get them their own art and consider altering their attacks some.

You might (if you want the player to have access to fire magic on an elven unit) consider using the sprites from a number of UMC. In addition to having a different damage scheme/distribution they also float and would have their own art.

EDIT: another suggestion, if you do stick with the elven versions of the mages do not give the elven red mages leadership. Red mages are powerful units without leadership (especially in a campaign featuring undead) and leadership is a very powerful ability. To be able to level up mages into powerful undead killers with leadership could be giving the player far too much power.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

The first scenario was deliberately easy-I built it up to give the player the beginings of gold stockpile. You will need it later in the later stages of the campaign.

With the mages: yes i am working on new artwork for them. However,i have 0 artistic ability, so it will be a long time before anything good comes up. However, the elvish black mage (next update) has its own artwork and attcks ect. As for elves having their own line of magic already, I'm sorry, but in the background it says they are very magical creatures-think of it as another way of expressing that magic.

However, I think your right about the leadership thing. My solution is going to be to give macryn his own unit type, and give that leadership. Red Magi can have a different ability (i am giving each branch of mage a different one).

And finally: the map header error you have basically means that i miss typed the location of the map you need. If you go into scenario 2, and change the line where it says the map location, then it should work fine.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I know what causes header errors, I was telling you so that you could fix it and patch it. For the record 3b and 4b have the exact same problem.

I find it odd that elves would express their magic by throwing fireballs around. Admittedly, such is convenient for gameplay purposes which is why I suggested using the sprites. Perhaps you could borrow the art for the sprites for the moment just to make it clear that they are not human mages.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Ok I will take the sprites for now. However the white mage will have to remain the same (in art terms. In the game, there's a couple of differences-namely , healing is +12 but he has no cure ability)

As for the red mage, I am thinking about an ability called fear. Instead of giving units +25%, it would give the enemy -25%. This would make sense, as you probably would fight worse if a fireball throwing maniac was standing next to you, but would be far less powerful.

I have also changed things like movement, hp, and exp on all the mage types and have changed the attacks to 10-2 and 10-3 respectively.
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Okay. I have put 1.8 on my linux computer. And have done a massive update-fixing all the (known) bugs, adding new scenarios, units, and the red mage update, as promised. It is now obly 4 scenario's away from being complete, so feedback would be nice. Please not that scenario 5 (the last one done so far) is not even slightly complete (as in i have not even added in more than 3 sides out of 8) and it is not even remotely balanced. But for now, 1-4 working scenarios should be fine.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I've finished the first two scenarios.

The first one was easy. I finished in on turn four... After recruiting about two keeps, the leader rushed to attack one of my units and I finished him off.

The second one, on the other hand, took me 27 turns...

I tried to recruit depending my first take on the size of the enemy forces. So, I under-recruited for the undead. My undead-stike-force was slaughtered, while I conquered the trolls. By then, I had so much money that I mass-recruited elvish mages, killed the undead going in the water, and sent about ten mages around the bridges and killed the dark adept in his keep.

This scenario can easily be won if you just save up enough money to mass-recruit elvish mages...

However, it is annoying to fend off two leaders at once: you really need to choose one and then regroup and finish off the other one.

The first maps are really small and kind of boring. The dialogue can use some work, such as punctuation, spelling, spacing errors, choice of words, and a few rather lame sentences :wink:

The main characters and their purpose is not really defined... I had no idea who they were besides elvish hunters, a random shaman and a non-elvish-looking red mage.

Finally, I got a map header error for the next scenario (i chose the undead route (Survival).

The campaign really just needs a good polishing in general. Like the title: "Undead Incursion"... Orcish Incursion comes to mind. Change the name :)
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Ok thanks. The dialogue i have planned to work on later-i prefeer the programming stuff to the actual storyline im afraid. That will be fixed later.

The first scenario was designed as a way of giving out gold for the second scenario (and later, i will use it as an introduction). Thanks for the tip on the simple maps-I will try and get that sorted in time for the next update.

Basically, what happened with your bug was that i forgot to change the map location after i moved from 1.6-1.8. I remembered the others, but that one must have missed my radar. Here is the working copy:
03b Survival.cfg
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

Oh-and i will be increasing the cost of the mage. Maybe 25 each.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I would update the copy on the add-ons server instead of post it here.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

I have done.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I am playing 'Undead Incursion' (wesnoth 1.8) and I have some remarks.

For the scenario 'Out Numbered', I think the map should be redrawn : it is basically composed of two squares and a rectangle. Not very natural. And cavern walls around the cavern tiles should be present. Also, the 'Troll alert' and 'Undead alert' messages are only shown when the player units find a troll or an undead. When a troll or an undead become visible after a move of a computer side, the messages are not shown.

For the scenario 'Tracking a troll', I have a lua error when I played : 'Lua unknown conditions'. Also, a 'move here' symbol should be shown on the map. Also, after this scenario, I can't continue on the Troll branch because of an error with the Troll Wizard (unknown unit type).

In Ambush, I had some errors about tags not closed when I load it from a save.
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Hmmmmmm.......... let me adress these one by one.

Firstly, the map for outnumbered was done simply at the start. Yes I will change it. No its not urgent.

Second- the events for sighting trolls/skeletons are done using the sighting event-which is famously buggy, and I cannot do anything about that. Notice that even in mainline campaigns, similar issues occur.

Third-Lua error? I have never used Lua. I have no idea why it would mention lua-anyone who knows Wml better than me, please let me know.

Fourthly-I will put a move-here symbol, but why is it nescercary? The objectives clearly state the caves. That is the furthest point into the caves. It should be self-explanatary. But nonetheless, I will do it.

Finally, the save file loading. All the tags are closed-they have to be, or it would not load to begin with. I will look into it, and will report back.

P.S: As for the Troll wizard error-thats basically utter stupidity on my part. I changed the unit when I shifted to 1.8, and obviously, I forgot to change the id.
Expect an update in a few days with at least 2 of these problems fixed.