Short piece

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizzaltix

Short piece

Post by Skizzaltix »

Something I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I'm very new to using a DAW, and sadly I seem to have hit day-three syndrome with it, so……if anyone with more experience would be willing to listen to this and point out a few of my mistakes, I would be most grateful.
long URL
If not not, forgive me for cluttering up this forum.
CheeseLord

Re: Short piece

Post by CheeseLord »

Well, first of all I could do with being able to listen to the piece ;)

...have you thought of uploading on box.net or something along those lines?? Or is the broken link just me??
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Ewing

Post by Ewing »

link didn't work for me, either.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Re-upload the song in a good host like 4shared and we'll hear.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Sorry about that--it worked for me last night, but now it's broken. Weird.
http://www.mediafire.com/?h2j2dl99w8di99q
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

If you are entending to do music for Wesnoth maybe you got the wrong path. About the music I think it don't tell much, I'm wondering if you have some training in music or just pick up the software and started to make songs.
Listen to the music
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The theme isn't totally uninteresting, but the "backgrounds" are a bit disturbing and the harmony is way off, imho :/ Not counting the fact that it's mostly electronic sounds, unsuitable for Wesnoth. Did you use some kind of loops to do that? Loops are a big no-no (for Wesnoth music at least).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Now I'm extremely embarrassed--first I botched the upload, and then I managed to post the wrong file.
I don't like that any more than you two, and I would never have posted that here on purpose, given the style of Wesnoth's music.
And yes, I do know some amount of theory, but that was a case of just sitting down and sticking notes in, which never really works.
What I meant to post was this, though I doubt it's any better: http://www.mediafire.com/?05ob0d5i6u8jvhn
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I would say you need some orchestration knowledge and Audio training as well. The composition is looking like something minimalist, I think it's not to much suitable in Wesnoth but anyway I'm not Lord of Music. It's a long way to do a good job, for example, the first piece I posted in Wesnoth forum was this one that is realy crap. The last piece I post in the forum is this one, it's not perfect but you can see that I really learn a lot of things and it's very superior. So, all you have to do is study and listen to orchestral music, theory knowledge is good but is not the main knowledge to write orchestral music. See you
Listen to the music
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Thank you for your thoughts! You're right, orchestral music is……very much new to me. I've only been composing for a year or so, and almost all of what I've done has been for two or three strings, and even that was kind of confusing.
Sound engineering is even newer.

I will keep working on it (my composing, that is, not this piece), and if it's all right, I would like to post again here when I feel like I've improved--these forums have always been very good at giving useful feedback.

PS: even I can tell that you have improved a great deal since then! That gives me a little hope.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

I would listen to Dixie. The theme is okay, however, the background is rather 'dominating.' Try mixing your song a bit more so that the background part actually sounds as if it is coming from the background i.e. tune it down a bit. I can only hear three instruments playing at the same time. While you practice your composing, work on adding a few more instruments. I know you can do it. I have, like you been composing for while. (I actually started some time last march.) It just takes some time, and the drive to better you composing skills.

Good luck with your composing. :D
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...