Request: team colours swatch sheet?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lindsay40k

Request: team colours swatch sheet?

Post by lindsay40k »

It's useful that we have available the following swatch of colours that are used for team colours:

However, the support pages on team colours don't present a particularly accessible solution for the IT layman to see what these colours look like when converted to team colours. It would be very helpful IMO if someone able to do so were to create a swatch that shows what each of these colours look like when Wesnoth interprets them.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
IPS

Re: Request: team colours swatch sheet?

Post by IPS »

I help with the idea, I made the gold color team.

But this is to easy to do with a gimp or with photoshop. But not everybody haves photoshop or gimp, so it must be helpful for many others ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

IPS: that wasn't the question. The user is looking to have copies of the team colour swatches for the current teams.

lindsay: I don't know a simpler way, but one way to go about it would be to copy the TC swatch over one of the game images, load a nice 9-player game, and use the debugger to create the unit, switch it between the teams, and take a screenshot each time.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Shadowmaster developped a small tool to generate the team-colored versions of a unit sprite : http://shadowm.rewound.net/projects/wesnoth-tc.php
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

What about wesnoth-tc?
Or the script in data/tools/unit_tree/TeamColorizer. (I'm not really sure about the differences.)
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

I can see where thespaceinvader is going with that suggestion. I might have a crack at it over the coming days; I need to get a fairly precise look at the team colours in all their forms, and that'll enable me to do it. When I make the swatch, I'll upload it - I think it'd be a very useful resource and perhaps worth including in the support section. Certainly, my current task - making the eyes of the robots (such as in my avatar) into team colours that can be distinguished in-game - would be much easier with a full swatch I can use eyedropper with to see how they look without having to load a game.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

In Gimp or Photoshop there are many tools which alow you to ajust hue, saturation and contrast, all you really need to do is draw your sprite, select all TC and fiddle the colour.

@IPS. Personally I think your gold TC is a little too greenish, I'd lean more towards an orange/bronze gold than the one you've used. Yellow is my favorite colour, I was upset when they removed it from the colours you can choose from, but then I understand since many of the high-level units have a lot of gold trimmings. Still, I think a gold TC might be useful for special units in campaigns which are actually just regular units; eg: Talin in NR.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Here's a collection of TC swatches for the 9 mainline team colors, generated using wesnoth-tc (therefore, using the same algorithm as Wesnoth).
Attachments
tc-swatches.zip
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

This is perfect, thanks! Is there any chance these could be added to the support article on team colours? They'd be a useful demonstration of how the system works, and help eliminate much of the trial-and-error needed to avoid team colours looking dark and indistinct - as the saturation and value of the 'pure' team colour does not match the location of pure magenta on the swatch. For instance, a bright magenta on the master sprite becomes a dark red, whilst a 50% desaturated magenta corresponds to pure red; having these examples sitting next to the magenta swatch on the guide would make it extremely easy to accurately test the team colours within the graphics application.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

This is perfect, thanks! Is there any chance these could be added to the support article on team colours?
Here we go. (I'm uploading it here as a image, so I can link it easily from the wiki.)
Attachments
The tc-colorswatch (I simply put together the files shadowmaster sent).
The tc-colorswatch (I simply put together the files shadowmaster sent).
colorswatch.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
Tet

Post by Tet »

Well to use it there is a trick. Use mainly the 3 colors which are in bigger blocks. The magenta appears to light, but the transition will appear fine. I have no idea why it was designed that way. I really would like to know. What will look bad in magenta will look good after transition. Really a bit strange.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895