Wesnoth 1.8.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.8.4

Post by ivanovic »

This is a bugfix release for the 1.8.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.8.x versions.

This release mainly fixes minor bugs (including some crashes, but not many) and improves some rough edges in several campaigns. Besides this, many translations were updated.

Of course there is a full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.8.3. A players changelog including only the most visible changes for common users is also available.

Downloads

Source code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (286.6 MB) md5sum
Here is the XDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.8.3 to 1.8.4, 2.9 MB)
Check http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using XDelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created, and all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them to work can be found in the Linux binaries page in the wiki. Download links for other supported systems will be available at the downloads page once the packages are created and published.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ — but you should first try to get files through SourceForge.net to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from SourceForge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.8.x is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.7.14, 1.7.15 and all 1.8.x versions. Older versions are no longer supported. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-ons server not working as expected, please notify the content's author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first! Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...

Bug reports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Last edited by Iris on August 21st, 2010, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hood

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.4

Post by Hood »

will admins fix Runtime Error?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

a) that is incredibly vague
b) after following those instructions, this should be posted either in Technical Support or at gna.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
guamyankee

Post by guamyankee »

Pentarctagon wrote:a) that is incredibly vague
b) after following those instructions, this should be posted either in Technical Support or at gna.
It is my opinion that incredibly vague questions should be answered with incredibly vague answers. But that's just me.

btw: My first Wesnoth post. I am now officially a super-nerd.
icarus86

Post by icarus86 »

Hello,

first post on the Wesnoth forums...
I've been playing the game since 1.2.x/1.3.x and I must say it's amazing how you managed to make it even better with every release. Now playing 1.8.4, I decided to turn the music ON for the first time, and it's gorgeous!
I have a few comments to make:

Regarding Tutorial mission 1:
1. when playing with Li'sar, the turn dialog says "it's konrad's turn"
2. having to select "i'm still figuring it out" EVERY TURN is annoying
3. even if we're still trying to figure it out, the game ends after 12 turns; you could increase it to at least 20-24 turns

General improvements/fixes:
4. when units have movement queues for the next turn(s), it's unintuitive how to cancel these queues
5. undo action is only sometimes available, I cannot figure exactly when (yes, I figured that after attacking a unit you cannot undo, but there are other situations where the option is not available but I'd expect it to be)
6. "u" key is used for both "units" and "undo" (?)
7. units with healing ability should gain experience when healing (based on the level of the healed unit)
8. when a new turn starts, you should leave the screen where it was when the player ended his previous turn (don't center on the hero every time); you may need to save the screen position in the saved game package
9. at the save game dialog, when the file name is very long, the cursor is not on the right but on the left side of the text box
10. inconsistent mouse scroll action (sometimes up/down, sometimes left/right)

And finally, my wishes:
11. consistent unit portraits across campaigns
12. consistent art screens across campaigns
13. co-op campaigns (2p/3p ?)
14. maybe put some locations on the map where units can get some bonus experience

That's it for now, I hope it helps!
Cheers,

R.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hi icarus86, welcome to the forum.
icarus86 wrote:undo action is only sometimes available, I cannot figure exactly when [...]
From 'The Wesnoth Tactical Guide': "You cannot undo a move that reveals any fog or shroud. Toggle the 'Delay Shroud Updates' option on when you need to move units while retaining the ability to undo."
icarus86 wrote:"u" key is used for both "units" and "undo" (?)
Just for undo, unless you assigned different keyboard shortcuts under General->Hotkeys in the preferences. What do you mean by "units"; what else do you think the u-key is doing?
icarus86 wrote:units with healing ability should gain experience when healing [...]
That would make it too easy and spoil part of the fun. Healers are primarily supporting units that you need to screen from the enemy. Your offensive units can damage enemy units just enough for the healer to take the experience points.
icarus86 wrote:when a new turn starts, you should leave the screen where it was [...]
I agree with this and submitted a feature request for it two years ago (December 26th, 2008).
icarus86 wrote:inconsistent mouse scroll action (sometimes up/down, sometimes left/right)
In your setup, scrolling will be left/right when your cursor is near the left/right screen border.
icarus86 wrote:co-op campaigns (2p/3p ?)
Several of these exist already. At WSRSW* you can search for, for example, "Type: Campaign" and "# Players: ...". It lists nine 2-player campaigns and four 3-player campaigns. Some of them are available for 1.8 and can be downloaded by clicking the "Add-ons" button.
icarus86 wrote:maybe put some locations on the map where units can get some bonus experience
This CABD* with WML*. So, some campaigns (might) already do this in certain scenarios.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

norbert wrote:
icarus86 wrote:undo action is only sometimes available, I cannot figure exactly when [...]
From 'The Wesnoth Tactical Guide': "You cannot undo a move that reveals any fog or shroud. Toggle the 'Delay Shroud Updates' option on when you need to move units while retaining the ability to undo."
More precise: You cannot undo anything which got you new information. This would be
  1. Attacking
  2. Revealing shroud/fog
  3. Recruiting units with random traits
  4. Finding hidden enemy units (ambush) and
  5. WML-coded events (when they don't have [allow_undo]).
I think I forgot something else.
icarus86

Post by icarus86 »

Hello again,

thank you both for your quick replies!

OK, I'll try the 'Delay Shroud Updates' option and let you know how it goes.

Just for undo, unless you assigned different keyboard shortcuts under General->Hotkeys in the preferences. What do you mean by "units"; what else do you think the u-key is doing?
I didn't do any changes regarding the hotkeys, but pressing 'u' sometimes pops up a screen with different units, I'll try it again and make a screenshot.

That would make it too easy and spoil part of the fun. Healers are primarily supporting units that you need to screen from the enemy. Your offensive units can damage enemy units just enough for the healer to take the experience points.
Point well made, although I'd expect the main 'duty' of healers to be healing, so experience should be gained in their primary field of activity (as with fighters when fighting, etc).

I agree with this and submitted a feature request for it two years ago (December 26th, 2008).
Nice :) Maybe we get a chance to have this implemented before 2.0.

In your setup, scrolling will be left/right when your cursor is near the left/right screen border.
Tried that several times, doesn't work. On one map, it always scrolls left/right, on another map it always scrolls up/down.

Several of these exist already. At WSRSW* you can search for, for example, "Type: Campaign" and "# Players: ...". It lists nine 2-player campaigns and four 3-player campaigns. Some of them are available for 1.8 and can be downloaded by clicking the "Add-ons" button.
Nice :) My wish was for mainline campaigns though...

This CABD* with WML*. So, some campaigns (might) already do this in certain scenarios.
Again, really nice :)

So I guess this leaves the tutorial fixes (1-3) and some other fixes (4 and 9) to be reviewed.

Cheers,

R.
Max

Post by Max »

icarus86 wrote:Point well made, although I'd expect the main 'duty' of healers to be healing, so experience should be gained in their primary field of activity (as with fighters when fighting, etc).
see here: (fpi nr. 7)
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1158
vcap

Post by vcap »

icarus86 wrote:I didn't do any changes regarding the hotkeys, but pressing 'u' sometimes pops up a screen with different units, I'll try it again and make a screenshot.
That's the Unit List, i guess. It's supposed be alt+u though, not just 'u' by itself.
sckchui

Post by sckchui »

Is it just me, or did the 1.8.4 binaries disappear from SourceForge?
norbert

Post by norbert »

sckchui wrote:Is it just me, or did the 1.8.4 binaries disappear from SourceForge?
They were moved, it seems.
In the URL, change "files/wesnoth/" to "files/wesnoth-1.8/wesnoth-1.8.4/".
Or select your package from this location.
icarus86

Post by icarus86 »

With regard to the "Undo" issue, it is in fact the "Unit List" which appears when I press "u" (and NOT Alt+"u").
I still have access to the "Undo" option via right-click / Undo or the menu at the top.

I reproed this several times. Wesnoth 1.8.4 on Windows 7 x64.

Cheers!
norbert

Post by norbert »

icarus86 wrote:[...] when I press "u" (and NOT Alt+"u"). [...] Wesnoth 1.8.4 on Windows 7 x64.
Could be the same thing ekolis experienced under Windows 7: a 'stuck' Alt key (2).
icarus86

Post by icarus86 »

Hi,

thanks for the hint.
Nevertheless, although this behavior only seems to occur on Windows 7, why doesn't it affect any other application and only Wesnoth? Maybe the Windows-version of one of the libraries on which Wesnoth depends is the culprit?

Cheers!