Scenario Review: DW 7 - Bilheld

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 7 - Bilheld

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 7 - Bilheld

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog is a bit weak. I would suggest making these Drakes have a beef with Mermen due to past history.

The major challenge is keep each unit alive. I lost my loyal Brawler.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Aside from strategy tips, there are not many comments, but clear WML code.

If you watch the attached replay, it will come up as corrupt due to negative gold, since the starting gold is incorrect. Just check "ignore all" on the error box and then it will continue without a problem.
Attachments
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
(35.67 KiB) Downloaded 921 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal 1.9.3 (223 gold)

8 Once again :)

Clear

The Drakes talk like Trolls. Very... simple minded, I was always under the impression that they were intelligent creatures :hmm:

(Now I'm certain that Keshan is an outcast.)

Getting killed easily at day and not being able to kill them quickly at night. Of course, It was the same with them.

Nothing

Lost Kai Krellis twice because he got burned :(

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
LOL rated 'R' :P
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
dsa

Post by dsa »

Difficult, 1.9.3

7, Mermen have the terrain advantage here, but Drakes can take a lot of damage.

Clear

Okay.

I come closer to the coast everytime, even when I try to start the fight in the far east of the ocean and fighting near the coast is bad, because you can't surround the enemies this way without losing the terrain advantage.

8, one more race I haven't fought in this campaign before.

The enemy leader should act more defensively. I worried about the fact, that I would have to move on land to attack him. He "solved" this problem though, by attacking one of my units and moving on water terrain, therefore exposing himself to my attacks.

Two restarts, when I lost too many units: to change my strategy (starting the attacks farer in the east) and to recall some high level units (I tried only first level units at first).
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.8, top difficulty

clear

good

minimizing my losses during the main onslaught. Lost a priestess due to bad moves.

I like it a lot but previous map felt a bit more fun

don't know

lost once b/c exposed my loyal priestess and drakes instantly killed her. Reloaded, and made the same mistake on the next turn - lost the other priestess.
Attachments
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
(30 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Normal (204/150 gold pieces); 1.9.7
    2) Difficulty? 7
    3) Scenario Objectives? Clear.
    4) Dialogue and story? Good.
    5) Challenges? Guaranteed loses. Drakes are pretty heavy handed.
    6) Is it fun? 8
    7) Make it more fun? Not needed.
    8) Reload or restart? Several restart, bad initial tactic.
    9) WML? Well commented.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 5 (I did read the wiki first though)
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue/Storyline: Good. I like how the drakes hesitate for a moment to ask keshan if he's with the mermaids.
Challenges: Deciding when to finish, i had the enemy leader at low health on his keep, but he kept recuiting some good exp farm units. I ended up getting a hoplite and a javeleneer, but it made me wait until the very last turn.
Fun: 7
Changes: none
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Normal, 1.10.5

7, Dragons are highly dangerous, even at night.

Clear

The dragons sounded a bit simple minded.

Leveling some fighters and hunters to spearmen. I totally ignored them before.

8, I like fighting against dragons.

Nothing.

Nope.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.5 - Triton - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 214 starting gold

5 - You don't really need to recall many vets for this one and you can finish pretty early

Clear.

There wasn't much but that is fine.

Splitting up the high damage drakes and avoiding bat death.

I grabbed villages with my loyals which split up the drakes. Bats are much more maneuverable than combat oriented drakes, so I was able to pillage the AI's villages and distract a two of his units for the whole game, which made the main fight easier.

The challenge is to avoid allowing a couple of high damage drakes to attack an important unit during a favorable time of day. If you get them to come at you in small groups they are easily dealt with. Distract with bats, lure into water with sacrificial level ones, kill. Illumination is a big advantage for you.

In my final run I carelessly let my distracting bat get ZOC'd and ganged up on, but he got lucky and lived.

6 - Fine for a filler scenario to build up EXP, but not really vital in turns of plot or unique in terms of gameplay

It's fine, assuming that the balance requires an opportunity to earn EXP here.

A couple of reloads when I got careless with my loyals that were being used to distract the AI.
Attachments
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
Nightmare 1.10.5 no save load
(33.95 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Triton (difficult)

4/10 if he gets a lot of fire drakes, 7/10 if he goes warrior heavy. Primarily ranged drakes tend to prioritize units which can't retaliate. Place a steadfast hoplit at coral reef (70% def) and a healer behind him and the AI will mindlessly nibble at him, almost not focusing any of other your units. During all this you can clean them up easily. It's like clubbing baby seals! The drake warriors can burst down exposed units pretty fast (and they are less predictable), so against this unit combo you will need to use at least some basic tactics and common sense to succeed.

Clear.

Okayish.

As always: not losing to many units. On my final run I lost the loyal brawler and a lvl 3 netcaster. Could have been avoided, but I leveled another one from scratch and the brawler isn't that useful anymore anyway. So I settled with that.

5/10 Fighting drakes was a nice change. Like the previous scenario it's somewhat one-dimensional: camp coral reef and cycle units, move in for the kill.

The AI should always recruit at least 50% drake warriors. Otherwise it's too easy. In DW-4-Slavers the saurians refused to charge into the water forcing you to advance. Drakes would fare better as well to not suicide charge into your camping death ball.

Playing badly, losing pets, the usual...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Nightmare, 1.11.15, 140 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 6.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Good. The enemy drake says, "She kill drakes." I don't know if that's an intentional mistake, but proper grammar would be "She kills drakes." That might be why other reviewers are objecting to the dialog.
(5) Challenges? I split my forces into 3 groups, which probably made it harder. On turn 8, facing my northern group was the following string of enemy units, with 1-2 hexes in between: Arbiter - Fighter - Sky Drake - Arbiter. Behind them was a Warrior, plus an Inferno Drake not far off. And it was day. That made it a sticky situation. I chose to attack one end, so that I would avoid one Arbiter. I managed to only kill the Sky Drake. I put a Hunter up as a sacrifice, and they tried to kill it, but failed.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8. I liked the tactical puzzles like the one above. Even though the scenario is fairly easy, there is a lot of tension, as you worry about your critical and loyal units. I recalled an undead bat for fun, to supplement my loyal undead bat. Unfortunately, undead drakes proved nearly worthless, since they only move one hex in water. If I had recalled a L3 unit instead of that undead bat, the scenario would have been even easier.
(7) Changes? If you want to make it harder, you could reduce the turns from 20 to 18. I won on turn 19, but I was taking my time.
(8) Restarts? No restarts. No save-reloads.
Attachments
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
(57.83 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, Triton/difficult, 193 starting gold

7 - difficult; drakes do a huge amount of damage and they have a large income too (but you can exploit the pierce weakness easily.)

Clear.

I feel like fighting lawful drakes is a bit out of place in a campaign against undead.

The huge damage output of the drakes - lost a full health almost leveling spearman on 70% to two drakes during the day.

4 - So many drakes it's hard to protect your units properly; relied on lots of cannon fodder.

Not sure.

1 restart to beginning due to losing a ton of units.
Strategy: spam lvl 1 hunters, use leadership (+ illuminates) and try to level some.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal
5 - There wasn't much danger and you don't even need high level units (perhaps a healer or two but that's it).
Very clear.
I always thought, drakes were smart but after that dialogue... They sounded like trolls - very dumb trolls.
The challenge was just to level up some spearmen and my loyal drake, that's it.
5 - Was something different, but the fight was really easy and quick.
Change the drakes' dialogues. Right now it is just to simple-minded.
No. Straight forward victory.
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

Difficult (Triton), wesnoth 1.12.4
171 starting gold

Perfect

Great

I'm not very good at fighting against drakes and I overestimated the threat they posed. I made some important mistakes as I floundered around at the start; I should have lured the enemy's early recruits ASAP so I could deal with them first and could recruit villages safely. Basically I played poorly here even though it wasn't that tough.
In theory, the drakes could do tons of damage but citizens exist to soak up that damage. And a massive terrain advantage kept my units alive despite the potential damage.

The drake leader went on a suicide charge to take out a citizen instead of staying in his keep and pumping out recruits. It would have been more fun if he at least tried to stay alive.

No
Attachments
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
(49.51 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.1

Perfect.

Great.

Fighting in the night instead of the day, because Drakes have more damage than I do, while I'm better at picking them off with numbers.

Adding some sea creatures.

No.
Attachments
DW-Bilheld.gz
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 699 times