Faster unit selection

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
HenrikOxUK

Faster unit selection

Post by HenrikOxUK »

When recalling units it would be nice to have a check-box next to each available unit so you could check the ones you want and just click OK. There would obviously need to be a counter keeping track of available gold and free castle tiles. You could also check a bunch of units and then press 'Dismiss'.

Sometimes when recruiting you just want 5 units of the same kind (or in the case of the Undead swamp, 20-something). There might be slider or a drop box associated with each unit so you could pick a number and press OK. There could be a 'Multiple' link next to the unit that brings up a small pop-up with a slider, again limited by gold and free tiles.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i can understand why you want this, and i realize you probably thought it was a new idea... but it would be appreciated if you would search the forums before posting old ideas. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

HenrikOxUK

Post by HenrikOxUK »

Ah, sorry. I did have a look down the list, but I guess 'recall' was the magic search term.

The part about recruiting multiple units was new though :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

HenrikOxUK wrote:The part about recruiting multiple units was new though :)
No, it wasn't...

As I've said to many people, CTRL-SHIFT-R recruits the same unit you just recruited, allowing you to recruit these swarms rather easily.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I think he means he hadn't heard it before...
scott

Post by scott »

How does that link in any way constitute a fully-discussed issue? I still think it's a good idea to have some way to speed up recall, especially if your recall list is miles long. Although it's a GUI change, thus unpopular for the main developer, I think it's still one of the few worthwhile feature ideas.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

UI changes are usually not impopular,

the problem is that most UI changes are actually gameplay changes in disguise...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Boucman wrote:UI changes are usually not impopular,
uhh...I beg to differ :)

They are not popular with me, because they are usually a pain to implement.

OTOH I do think a good UI is absolutely necessary, so if that's what it takes...

I do like the idea of making an easier way to recruit multiple units.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Dave wrote:
Boucman wrote:UI changes are usually not impopular,
uhh...I beg to differ :)

I meant that they are usually must less discussed and more easily accepted, they don't do such a big fuss...

but yes, I agree, they are harder to implement
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

Dave wrote: OTOH I do think a good UI is absolutely necessary, so if that's what it takes...

I do like the idea of making an easier way to recruit multiple units.

David
How about when the Recruit or Recall option is called, have a small panel pop up at the bottom of the screen, and center the map on the leader.

This panel will have many buttons:
For Recruit, one button for each unit type that can be recruited
For Recall, one button for each unit that can be recalled

A mouseover over any of the buttons will show the Unit name, cost, traits and experience. Maybe for Recruit, the cost can be shown in the top right of the button.

There will be a Cancel option on the panel to close it.

Each time the player presses a button, the unit is recruited automatically. (one click instead of the current two, and the user can immediately see the unit he has recruited).