Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Integral

Post by Integral »

Jetryl wrote:There are no white backgrounds in the game, and the Ankh staff should be much more visible in-game - I will make it silver, though.

However, with levels 2&3 of the siren line, they are meant to be similar - like levels 2&3 of the arch-mage line. After all, they are basically the same darn unit - with just a small boost to stats.
Yes, but the arch-mage gets an enormous white beard :). Anyway, I guess I'll wait to see what they look like in-game.

Of course, the units look great other than this minor complaint.

Daniel
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

The graphics you posted are awesome, Jetryl, but one question: when are the actual units going to be added to CVS?
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

joshbosh321 wrote:The graphics you posted are awesome, Jetryl, but one question: when are the actual units going to be added to CVS?
miyo: "when the base graphics for the naga are finished"
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:bump: Done only so as not to clog things up with a new topic.

I've committed the graphics for all merman/maid units except the netcaster, and entangler.

The mermaids are all completely animated, in versions that bloody well should be final; the same can be said of the Javelineer branch. The fighter tree is good enough for some time to come.

The hunter, spearman, and javelineer all have distinct directional animations, and the other mermen will be set to use these as well, though I have certain other things to do before I remake the attack animations of the fighter tree.

Also, if things pan out right, I plan on making us a new net using halo graphics, which will unfurl as it flies through the air - right now our net-boys actually use the web graphic.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Congratulations!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Do you have these net graphics yet? If not, it might make a good task for those art people who are bored... should be relatively easy.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:Do you have these net graphics yet? If not, it might make a good task for those art people who are bored... should be relatively easy.
I only have this one final frame - it should probably be 25-50% bigger, as well.
paroneayea

Sirens are not of the sea

Post by paroneayea »

I guess I'm kind of bothered by the mermaids being called Sirens. Not many people realize it, but Sirens were actually NOT of the sea. If you read the Odyssey, you'll find that they were actually half-birds. My girlfriend did quite a lot of research on this topic.

They were also quite ugly. It was their curse for formerly being so arrogant about their beauty.

But in modern times, the mistake of them being "mermaids" has become highly popularized. I guess I won't argue if you think my complaint is void...
Dreadwing

Post by Dreadwing »

Pretty long I didn't read anything but what about making a mermen unit with legs lol...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Paroneayea: I think you have a point there. I also found it odd when I first saw the unit. However, although sirens are ugly half-birds, there are other mythological beings that are beautiful half-fish, but do the same thing as sirens (maliciously draw sailors to crash on rocks). The idea for the unit, that, could stay the same, and just have the name change.

OT:
*sigh*
Dreadwing, don't post unless you have something useful to say. That doesn't qualify.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Sirens have been seen as half fish women since at least the middle ages. the heraldry figure called the siren have a half fish women.

as a side note, there is also a "melusine" figure which is a double tailed mermaid...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim