Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Post by Astoria »

Aethaeryn wrote:
LightFighter wrote:I suppose venefica is an option as a female mage, as it means sorceress/witch.
Yes, but it fits dark/harmful magic more since the root word also means poison...
Maybe you could use Venefica/Malefica as a female name of a dark sorcerer.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

It is false that the Elvish Hero is translated "Heroes" (which is plural!) and not "Heros." in particular considering that the Troll Hero is a "Heros"
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I'm way ahead of you 8)

My most up to date version of the unit names are here. Currently awaiting Aethaeryn's diatribe, chastisement and pillaging (but I need to tell him to do that first).

I'm very open to alternate suggestions for units like the fencer, duelist, sharpshooter and marksman and things similarly unwieldly. In any case, the more translators, the merrier (and easier).
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think "dagger" should be translated as "pugio", the Roman dagger, and not as "sica", which refers to a specific curved sword.
Probably "scimitar" should be translated as "machaera", a term deriving from an curved Greek sword, or "falcata", an Iberian sabre.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think I would like to try to translate DiD.
Malin Keshar :arrow: Malin(i?)us Ces(s?)ar(Malin(i?)i Ces(s?)aris; not sure what to do with the "sh")
Dela Keshar :arrow: Dela Ces(s?)ar(Delae Ces(s?)aris;see above)
Darken Volk :arrow: Darcen Volx(Darcinis Volcis; I think that sounds far better then e.g. Darcenus Volkus)
Drogan :arrow: Droganus(Drogani)
Foolish Hero :arrow: Heros imprudens

C res dixi.
Last edited by Drakefriend on June 29th, 2010, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I do not think "ferrum" is that good a translation for "blade", as it basically means "iron"(because of that its chemical symbol is Fe :eng: ), usage as "sword" is metaphorical.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I thought a "silvicultrix" would be a "woodswoman", for "-trix" is the female version of "-tor", so the woodman had to be "silvicultor".
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I already wrote: My most up to date version of the unit names are here.
Make sure you read that, some of your suggestions have already been implemented on that page, which I'm hoping to go over with Aethaeryn tonight (that includes attack strings as well).
The Changes:
But sica is such an awe-inspiring word. =/

I mostly agree with the sica---pugio issue, but bear in mind the translation can't be perfect: case in point sabre; another, greatsword. I'm not sure what you mean by the scimitar, since it's not used by any mainline unit. Is it a campaign specific weapon or did you mean something like sabre?

As for DiD, Thanatos was keen on doing the translation, but he's been AWOL since January, so I don't know if it's within the bounds of good grace to give the campaign to somebody else. I'd be happy to let you do it, but I'll run it by Aetharyn first. edit: we've agreed that you can have DiD to translate, you've hopefully got a PM from me with further blabber.

As an example for the names, I transliterated Asheviere as Ascuera (sh---sc), since that's how it's represented in Italian, (before a vowel, at least). But basically, do whatever you feel is right.

N.B. I want to change the campaign title to 'Decursus in Caliginem'. Also, you, sir, quadruple posted, merge your posts!
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Ababakar

Post by Ababakar »

I just post to say that I am a fan of the latin translation ! I hope you will continue to update it and to translate new campaigns, units and menus ! :D