[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 3 - An Unexpected Appearance

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 3 - An Unexpected Appearance

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) Medium, 1.1.7
(2) Quite hard (7), at least to keep units alive
(3) Very clear
(4) I like the start dialogue (feeding the adept to the wolves), there could be some more.
(5) Keeping my units alive, balancing battlegroups (the opponent on the West was about 3-4x stronger, and I had to take all my HI there, while holding off the other one with Dacyn + Mage + Holy cavalryman only. Also, getting money (The attackers were on me so fast that I could not spare the units to capture villages).
(6) 5, since many reloads are less fun
(7) This one was quite difficult, even on Medium. If the adept is let live, he'll even recruit bats, so bad luck on the 1st turn (if you wipe him out or not) has effect on the difficulty level. Maybe something about it.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Good
5) First time, the eastern Lich didn't recruit much, so I restarted & recruited a smaller force (as you get few villages to support you, going east at least). The Lich recruited more this time, so it was tricky, but nothing the white mage and a few HI couldn't cut through.
6) 6
7) -
8 ) start gold ~250
miekka

Re: Scenario Review - EI: An Unexpected Appearance

Post by miekka »

1. Medium 1.6.5
2. 5, you just need to survive the first wave recruiting mostly HI and then assault the western baddie
3. clear
4. clear and interesting, the adept was funny
5. keeping Dacyn alive
6. 6
7. none
Daiker01

Post by Daiker01 »

(1) Version 1.8.0 on Medium
(2) Difficulty: 2
(3) Very clear
(4) Clear but not very interesting. An explanation about what just happened in the first scenario would be nice.
(5) None
(6) Fun: 5
(7) I would like to see a more developed storyline
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

5. It's a 9.5 if you go east or north or under-recruit.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine.

Going east or north quickly causes you to be sandwiched between the two assaults.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Swamps.
Attachments
EI-An_Unexpected_Appeara..._replay.gz
(18.07 KiB) Downloaded 996 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
3 - Rushing your troops east does the job. My holy Gweddry helped immensely.
It would be nice to maybe hint at the goodies in the east.
I liked the newbie. That's about it.
Fast bats catching up with me in the west.
7 - Well designed scenario.
As is.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

5. I chose the eastern route. One Heavy Infantryman hindered the western army enough, so my main army had no big problems with the enemies in the east.

Clear

Good.

Nothing in particular.

None.
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal; 1.8.5
Clear
Clear.
Although, I do not understand why the mage would say: "i prefer to kill the western leader first" while the objectives only require one leader to be killed.
mmhh really no major challenges, here.
Though, I did not manage to level up more mages as I had whised
---
Attachments
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

"3" to kill the western leader and w/o losing valuable units. Didn't try to kill the eastern one, it looks a lot harder.

clear

I don't like the final necromancer's yell: "noo! ... they can now re-enter Wesnoth!", kinda blunt

nothing

the western path feels a bit dull

how about letting to kill both enemies? After killing one necromancer, the player should have an option to continue and kill the other
Attachments
(20.72 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard
188 starting gold

7 if you head east (what I only did because of the upcoming knight-rescue-mission). As I wanted to hit both enemy's troops for gaining maximum XP, I had to find out the right timing of first encountering the 1st wave from the west and then march eastwards with the main bulk. Also don't recruit anything else than HI/ST and mages. Except maybe one cavalry for grabbing the village to the north and fighting some bats.

Clear - there could be more hints, that the way east may pay out. Gweddry's motivation of attacking Mal-Ravanal is naive. As we were running away from the undead in two former levels, which sense can be in hunting for the big boss?

Clear. But one thing: Dacyn was not familiar with the tunnels before. Now coming out he knows precisely were we are...? Next: The undead's front-line of their attack is far more west - how comes you bump into three leaders (in the meaning of them being able to recruit) of them? There might be an explanation like they're on their march to wesnoth.

Getting XP for the mages. As the first two levels don't offer too much opportunities it is recommended to do so now. But that was not too challenging, cause I recalled heavily - I put in some shock troopers and several mages, what made me run very low on gold (-45 in round 16, when I finished). So going east while not running to low on gold was my major challenge (I failed).

7-8. Very miscellaneous. The narrow passage to the east and the width to the west. With levelled troops from the former scenario the fighting is not too hard, but you run low on gold - what will make the following even harder.

Make it easier or more rewardable to go east. Without having read the walkthrough, I wouldn't even think about going east. The presence of the undead also could be explained. Are they on their march westwards to wesnoth, do they "live" in the mountains or what the hell are they doing there?
Attachments
IdF-Vom_Regen_in_die_Traufe_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 1213 times
Last edited by line on March 14th, 2013, 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard
175 starting gold

5. I recalled heavily, made the stand in the west (using the village and Dacyn's healing), then headed east at dawn. The dark sorcerer thankfully was quite forthcoming, so I could finish at round 14, what let me take some gold to the next mission.

Clear

Clear

None, surprisingly easy. I found it harder the last time I played it.

7-8. Still like it, see my post above.

None
Attachments
IdF-Vom_Regen_in_die_Traufe_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
100%
I think it's really in a lich's nature to be cold so it was fitting. Too bad their hubris cost one of them their life at the end of my blade.
I actually wanted to kill the lich to the east just to spite daclyn for trying to tell me what to do. It didn't work out, however, because the terrain was too swampy over there and i had already pushed to the other castle, so i just went in and killed the west lich. (I bet daclyn felt pretty important after that)
Nothing
Fate is against me.
ItsDaKoolaidDude

Post by ItsDaKoolaidDude »

Hard. 1.10.1
Quite difficult (8)
Perfectly clear.
Sounded like the Western Civilization's speech turned a little more modern than it should be.
Keeping the important ones and the strongest alive and together. Sometimes I had to have them run a little before turning them back.
Its fun the first few times (cheating and not cheating)
Possibly make a multi-map with the factions you've used. Oh, yeah, the snow-drifts that took FOREVER to get through (add the few swamp warriors you've pitted in there.) I got frustrated enough that I almost considered using the :unit moves debug command. Plus, after I got through it, I had to bum-rush just to not run out of time. Please either remove the turn-limit or increase it to maybe 60.
You spent the entire game, going in circles! It's like the equivalent of Homer Simpson doing cartwheels on the kitchen floor, and you still won?! -Johnny (BSC)
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, simple
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not much. Bats are dangerous to wounded units, swamps to the east slow you down.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The time limit could be tighter. Enemies are already close - so if you go for one, you'll feel the pressure on your back, specially if you go for the right one. No change needed on that. Also, I don't know what the point is to place villages in the middle of the mountains - I like to take all villages before killing the final enemy, but these ones are unreachable to knights and too far to non-chivalry units.