Wesnoth 1.8.3

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.8.3

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.8.3 is out!
This is a bugfix release for the 1.8.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.8.x versions.

This release does mainly fix smaller bugs (including some crashes, but not many) and improves some rough edges in several campaigns. Beside this many translations were updated.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.8.2. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (285.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.8.2 to 1.8.3, 1.7 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.8.x is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.7.14, 1.7.15 and all 1.8.x versions. Older versions are no longer supported. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
tr0ll

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.3

Post by tr0ll »

yay it just keeps getting better!
:)
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

Wow. A whole download again for like 3 minor changes... :annoyed:

I mean I appreciate that these updates are frequent but you might as well hold off until you make some major changes... :?:

We download and get these new versions and there isnt even any real notable differences... :roll:

Oh well... What do I know...

Im probably just gonna stay on 1.8.2... Dont see a point in downloading this update... :|
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

iLeeT_PeeP wrote:Wow. A whole download again for like 3 minor changes... :annoyed:

I mean I appreciate that these updates are frequent but you might as well hold off until you make some major changes... :?:
These are maintenance updates for the stable branch. They're supposed to be fixes to minor issues and they specifically do not introduce new features.

New features will be implemented into 1.9, the development branch, when that's released.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

And translations improves a lot in this stable releases. That might be important for many non-English people.
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

iLeeT_PeeP wrote:Wow. A whole download again for like 3 minor changes... :annoyed:
Use the xdelta and the download will only be 1.7 MB.
takeshi88

Post by takeshi88 »

let me ask something?

i download 1.4.5 on three or four days later.
and i find this forum now.

i need latest version (1.8.3)

i must download patch to update 1.4.5 or...
i download 1.8.3 again

coz i want to play my save on campaign scene.
can i copy it's file to save directory when i install 1.8.3 finished???

thankyou for your help
bye. ^ ^
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

No. 1.4 saves are not compatibile with 1.8 saves.
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

Nice... So I decide not to be such a sourpuss and get 1.8.3 thinking that maybe it will cut down the # of .exe errors I always get when in MP games (sometimes 2 per game)... This is what I got when i loaded it up... :roll:
Attachments
hmm.JPG
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

:?:
Attachments
hmm2.JPG
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

UNINSTALLED. REMOVED ALL TRACES OF WESNOTH. DELETED INSTALLER. RE-DOWNLOADED INSTALLER FROM DIFFERENT MIRROR. REINSTALLED. SAME THING! :?

Going back to 1.8.2 :!:
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
Nabo0o

Post by Nabo0o »

Hmmm, this looks very much like a language error.
What country are you from if I may ask? (it could help the coders if there was a minor typo in some new language related fix)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

iLeeT_PeeP wrote:UNINSTALLED. REMOVED ALL TRACES OF WESNOTH. DELETED INSTALLER. RE-DOWNLOADED INSTALLER FROM DIFFERENT MIRROR. REINSTALLED. SAME THING! :?

Going back to 1.8.2 :!:
<IT-Crowd-mode>Have you tried turning it off and on again?</IT-Crowd-mode>

Yeah, this ain't no joke. The problem you observed is related to some strange font issues mainly windows seems to have. We got no idea what the real cause is. That is some users seemed to be able to get around it by uninstalling the old version, rebooting windows, installing the new version, rebooting windows and starting Wesnoth. No idea if you really need this many reboot or if one is enough. Yeah, Windows sucks and I never saw those problems on a linux version of wesnoth...
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Simply restart windows after you install the game. That's how I solved this problem the one time I encountered it.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
afxgroup

Post by afxgroup »

just released also for AmigaOS4 :)

http://www.amigasoft.net/pages/games/wesnoth.asp
Andrea Palmate'
http://www.amigasoft.net